PDA

View Full Version : Collatz: Potential Outage After June 5 thru June 15

RSS
05-26-14, 10:58 PM
From June 5-15, the temporary Collatz system admin will be the cat sitter. That doesn't sound very reassuring does it? Sorry, but if the server goes down and requires anything other than a simple reboot, there may be an extended outage. Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are higher than normal since Commonwealth Edison (a.k.a. ComEd, the electrical company in the area) failed to notify me on their original attempt to replace my power meter last week but were unable to do so since it evidently takes at least two people to do it. Since they didn't call before the last attempt, Murphy's Law suggests that they will not call before the next attempt and that it will take place while I am on vacation. The cat sitter doesn't know how to switch over to the generator if the outage exceeds the UPS battery so if the power is out for an extended period, Collatz may remain down until I get back.

More... (http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/forum_thread.php?id=1185)

Mumps
05-26-14, 11:55 PM
You really need to train that cat then Slicker! :))

zombie67
05-27-14, 01:41 AM
Just teach the cat sitter to cycle the power. ;)

Slicker
05-27-14, 09:34 AM
If it crashes and the database and file system get out of sync or corrupted, cycling the power won't help. That's my worry.

cineon_lut
05-27-14, 02:01 PM
I've had my power meter changed twice. So Cal Edi$on did it pretty quickly (~5min). Hopefully the UPS will hold.

Duke of Buckingham
05-27-14, 05:12 PM
http://gophers.fungopher.com/K/h/W/KhWWFUFEb/Funny-Animals-Well-i-ve-got-electrified-And-now-what.jpg

Bryan
05-27-14, 06:10 PM
I've had my power meter changed twice. So Cal Edi$on did it pretty quickly (~5min). Hopefully the UPS will hold.

Obviously Cal Ed is paid by the job. Just hope that ComEd isn't paid by the hour =))

Mumps
05-27-14, 09:22 PM
If it crashes and the database and file system get out of sync or corrupted, cycling the power won't help. That's my worry.

Agreed. Regardless of any amount of training, that'd still be a cat-ass-trophe... :)) :)) :))

Bryan
05-27-14, 11:54 PM
Agreed. Regardless of any amount of training, that'd still be a cat-ass-trophe... :)) :)) :))

ROFL =)) =))

Bryan
06-06-14, 09:42 AM
I guess we're gonna get to see how good the cat sitter is =))

Duke of Buckingham
06-06-14, 09:57 AM
So it is war ...
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs16/i/2007/205/8/5/Fighting_Like_Cats_and_Dogs_2_by_wldjeepgrl.jpg

cineon_lut
06-06-14, 02:39 PM
Oh no. I got some Large Collatz waiting for upload...project backoff. THey expire on the 16th...SOOOO if @Slicker is back on the 15th, I could have a nice batch of Large WUs to upload and they'll still count.

Unless the cat sitter gets on the ball :D

Fire$torm
06-06-14, 03:56 PM
Well since Murphy has struck with a vengeance......

What alternate project (for nVidia) will help S.USA the most? GPUGrid?

cineon_lut
06-06-14, 04:13 PM
For nVidia, yes. Work on GPU Grid will keep us just ahead of L'af in FB.

We're OK for now in 4th for GPU Grid, so I'm bouncing between GPU Grid and PrimeGrid for my NV's.

r2d2
06-06-14, 04:31 PM
Im getting alot of errors on gpugrid.. Once I get home tonight.. Gonna jump a machine over to primegrid.

Fire$torm
06-06-14, 04:34 PM
Im getting alot of errors on gpugrid.. Once I get home tonight.. Gonna jump a machine over to primegrid.

IIRC GPUGrid hates overclocked cards. Make sure yours are set to stock clocks.

r2d2
06-06-14, 05:46 PM
Don't mess with OCing unless it came stock OCed... GTX 650

IIRC GPUGrid hates overclocked cards. Make sure yours are set to stock clocks.

cineon_lut
06-06-14, 10:58 PM
OK, advice please. I have a bunch of downloaded Large Collatz work units that I could crunch and build up, and they'll be good 'till the 16th. Would you crunch those (several days worth on a 7970) or just let them sit until the server is confirmed back online. I'm just afraid if I crunch them that I won't get credit for them due to some database issue. The advantage to crunching them is about 4M creds.

Thoughts?

zombie67
06-06-14, 11:36 PM
I would go ahead and crunch them. FWIW, I am doing that with all the collate tasks I have.

Ron Shurtz
06-07-14, 11:13 PM
AAARRRGGG!!!

My Collatz tasks that I have pending upload, have a deadline of the 13th. :eek:
So do many of the ones waiting to crunch.
I just now found this thread and the possible outage notice.
I was wondering when they were going to upload.

I guess it's time to switch to something else.

I'll let the finished tasks sit to see if the server comes back on in time.
Otherwise, I guess they just expire.
What a potential waste. :(

cineon_lut
06-07-14, 11:40 PM
Yeah. That's a bummer, @Ron. I ended up keeping my large wus and will continue to crunch them since they expire on the 16th.

Vic (mobile)

zombie67
06-08-14, 12:46 AM
Even if the server doesn't come back up before the deadlines, you should still get credited. Remember, so long as you report before the re-issued tasks report, you will get credits. And since your tasks are already done, you have a perfect head start.

Fire$torm
06-09-14, 04:13 AM
And Slicker is very likely going to issue credit regardless, as has been his custom in the past.

Ron Shurtz
06-09-14, 12:34 PM
Even if the server doesn't come back up before the deadlines, you should still get credited. Remember, so long as you report before the re-issued tasks report, you will get credits. And since your tasks are already done, you have a perfect head start.

And Slicker is very likely going to issue credit regardless, as has been his custom in the past.

Thanks for the info.

I feel better about it.

I'll be crossing my fingers. [-O<

zombie67
06-16-14, 10:30 AM
Collatz is back up!

dave c
06-16-14, 10:38 AM
Collatz is back up!

yay i can finaly turn in the metric ton of wu's i have lol

Slicker
06-16-14, 11:16 AM
Since BOINC seems to abort work even if completed, see if you can upload the WUs prior to doing an update. You may get double credit then as I plan to award credit for any in progress WUs whether or not they were returned OK for credit.

Ron Shurtz
06-16-14, 12:01 PM
Since BOINC seems to abort work even if completed, see if you can upload the WUs prior to doing an update. You may get double credit then as I plan to award credit for any in progress WUs whether or not they were returned OK for credit.

Cool!

On 2 out of 3 of my machines I was able to upload the WUs.

The third must have tried an update attempt befrore I could get to it and they all show as timed out.

Got credit for most of my WUs.

Thanks a bunch Slicker!!!! ^:)^

cineon_lut
06-16-14, 12:51 PM
...aaaaand 17 Large Collatz work units validated, thank you! Today is a mighty fine day!

:D

dave c
06-17-14, 03:39 PM
seems to be down again

6/17/2014 1:36:56 PM | Collatz Conjecture | Sending scheduler request: Requested by user.
6/17/2014 1:36:56 PM | Collatz Conjecture | Requesting new tasks for CPU and ATI
6/17/2014 1:36:59 PM | Collatz Conjecture | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
6/17/2014 1:36:59 PM | Collatz Conjecture | Server error: feeder not running

FourOh
07-08-14, 11:48 AM
I'm running Mini Collatz on my 7950 (need the hours), but the project is only sending me one WU at a time. My app_config is set up to run 4 WUs per GPU, I don't have a max_concurrent line, I've bumped up the project resource share, and I tried suspending all other projects and updating - still only getting one at a time. Meanwhile my laptop has a nice cache of Mini WUs for intel gpu. Any suggestions?

Slicker
07-09-14, 10:26 AM
FYI, any WU that runs in < 30 minutes will only get half the credit. Those mini WUs look to be running in only 5 minutes so you will want to disable mini in your preferences and stick with solo or maybe even large.

As far as getting more than one WU goes, check your resource settings (must be > 0 or else is considered a backup project and should only get one WU at a time). Also, if connected to other GPU projects, BOINC may ignore Collatz because it wants to download work from one of the others. It won't tell you that in the log though. That, and you sometimes have to exit BOINC and then restart it in order to give it a kick in the arse as the scheduler is buggier than a swamp. Oh, and check your cache size.

Al
07-09-14, 06:25 PM
If you need hours on mini run 5 or 6 at a time. Your hours will build faster and wus will take over 30 minutes so you get the credit bonus.

FourOh
07-09-14, 06:27 PM
If you need hours on mini run 5 or 6 at a time. Your hours will build faster and wus will take over 30 minutes so you get the credit bonus.

That's what I was trying to do, but I could only get 1 at a time from the project. My app_config was set to .2 CPU and .2 GPU. I might need to remove and re-attach the project. I tried fooling with all the settings but couldn't get multiple units.

Al
07-09-14, 06:48 PM
That might be best. Recheck the preferences just in case you missed something. 0.2 is exactly where you want to be with the 7950/70.