PDA

View Full Version : Knight's Landing

Sarge104
06-23-14, 02:01 PM
Interesting Intel article (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2366700/intels-most-powerful-chip-ever-packs-emerging-technologies.html).

Would love to see some specs in the near future.

dave c
06-23-14, 03:19 PM
ive been eyeballing some of the cheaper xeon phi's on ebay wondering how they would work for crunching , but they cary a steep pricetag with the lowest ive seen at 400 bucks most are over 1000 bucks though
anyone here using one?

John P. Myers
06-23-14, 04:21 PM
Nope. BOINC doesn't recognize them and no project ever wrote an app for them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

dave c
06-23-14, 11:54 PM
Nope. BOINC doesn't recognize them and no project ever wrote an app for them.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

if u could use one how do u think it would compare to one of the good gpu's?

John P. Myers
06-24-14, 03:49 AM
if u could use one how do u think it would compare to one of the good gpu's?

Hard to say. It might not compare at all. It could be designed to run 1 CPU workunit per core, which would actually be better since 99% of BOINC workunits are not multi-threaded. The Phi's contain 60+ full CPU cores, not GPU cores, so i figure a GPU app adapted to work on a Phi would be terrible.

dave c
06-24-14, 05:58 PM
Hard to say. It might not compare at all. It could be designed to run 1 CPU workunit per core, which would actually be better since 99% of BOINC workunits are not multi-threaded. The Phi's contain 60+ full CPU cores, not GPU cores, so i figure a GPU app adapted to work on a Phi would be terrible.

sorry i didnt mean as i direct comparison , i meant if one could make it work and using it as cpu power with 50-60 aditional cores versus what a good gpu would put up in a single day.
i guess it really doesnt matter since u cant use one, unless it spossible to write ur own app to be able to crunch on it , but even if u could i guess bonic not seeing the phi card would be the biggest issue

im assuming of one could get it to work it would be some serious cpu power though