PDA

View Full Version : over clock help

dave c
06-25-14, 09:40 PM
ok guys im trying to get just a lil more out of my amd fx8320

i was running 4.4 base speed with 4.8ghz turbo core enabled , problem with that is it would throttle every other second

currently ive got it stable at 4.7ghz with turbo core disabled , plenty of temp headroom.
problem is at 4.8ghz its only stable for a few hours under full load i know i need more voltage .
my current setting is 1.400 volts , this cpu is good to 1.5 when i try to push just a lil more and voltage goes above 1.450 my clock speed drops off and i fall back to 2.9ghz
is this a limit of my mobo or do i possibly have a psu thats on edge ?
any ideas ?

looking to get this to 5ghz
close so far, but so far away at the same time

John P. Myers
06-25-14, 09:48 PM
First rule of overclocking: no two fx8320's (or any other 2 identical processors) overclock the same. For better luck, take a chance at another fx8320.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

dave c
06-25-14, 09:56 PM
First rule of overclocking: no two fx8320's (or any other 2 identical processors) overclock the same. For better luck, take a chance at another fx8320.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro
im thinking i should have just went for the fx8350 but from what i have read the 8320 should go over 5ghz reliably
i just find it wierd that when i increase the voltage without changing fsb or multiplier that the clock speed drops way off , when i get a new mobo ill have to try again going from stock speed to 4.7 has made a pretty nice increase in performance

John P. Myers
06-26-14, 02:28 AM
I was just looking at Tom's and it seems most people found 4.7GHz was as high as they could push a fx8320. You seem to have a slightly better chip though since you're able to do it at 1.4v. One guy i saw had to push to 1.45v to get the same speed as you. Like i said, no 2 fx8320's are the same ;)

dave c
06-26-14, 03:46 AM
I was just looking at Tom's and it seems most people found 4.7GHz was as high as they could push a fx8320. You seem to have a slightly better chip though since you're able to do it at 1.4v. One guy i saw had to push to 1.45v to get the same speed as you. Like i said, no 2 fx8320's are the same ;)

4.7ghz it is i guess , i really cant comlain its doing everything i ask of it fast and without compliants , i do have a fairly large video to edit and encode so ill see how it performs with that.
when i do get my new mobo i will try one last time to hit 5ghz with it