PDA

View Full Version : overclocking questions

Sarge104
02-02-11, 10:14 PM
Processor [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P -- AMD 770 Chipset
Memory 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 – 1GB - Single Card
Power Supply 1000 Watt -- Extreme Power Supply - [Gaming Series] Quad SLI + Active PFC
Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit

I'm about 98.9 percent sure my towers instability is due to my CPU not being clocked right. Of course when I checked in with the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) I found the clock set at 3.4ghz and all of the rest of the settings at auto. I'm confused as to why the unit is still unstable at the moment. I would love to overclock the rig as I would also love to get some good numbers on the PG challenges this year. Does anyone on the boards here know of some good numbers I can set the 'MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) to get the most out of my rig?

Currently tried setting the clock to x18 (3.6ghz) all other settings at auto with the exception of HT link freq which I've limited to 1ghz to try for some stability. To give the unit some protection I set the limit to 60C (65C being detremental to the CPU). Being new to the game I'm still getting instability in the unit and am unsure why.

Zytozux
02-02-11, 10:26 PM
I havent done any overlocking recently, but from what i understand the instability comes from not having enough power going to the processor when you have the clock rate up so high. Is there a voltage setting on the MB Intelligent Tweaker? Try increasing the voltage if there is a setting. Raising the voltage will increase CPU temps. It's the fun part in overclocking where you get to see how high you can turn up the voltage and get higher stable clock rates without melting your cpu :D

John P. Myers
02-02-11, 10:52 PM
I havent done any overlocking recently, but from what i understand the instability comes from not having enough power going to the processor when you have the clock rate up so high. Is there a voltage setting on the MB Intelligent Tweaker? Try increasing the voltage if there is a setting. Raising the voltage will increase CPU temps. It's the fun part in overclocking where you get to see how high you can turn up the voltage and get higher stable clock rates without melting your cpu :D

This is true. I also use Gigabyte and i know the MIT does have a voltage adjustment in it. Thing is, you'll have to increase the voltage more than just a couple notches (assuming this is the issue).

The other reason you may not be able to get a stable overclocked system is because of the CPU itself. They're not all created equal. Someone can have the exact same computer, mobo and even RAM and HD as you, and be using the CPU as you, but still pull off an overclock 600MHz higher than you. There's degree of quality that varies within the chip's guts that determine how overclocking works for you. It's very possible you could order another chip, exactly the same as the one you have, but be able to achieve a stable comp @ 3.6GHz. It's all about the luck of the draw.

Sarge104
02-02-11, 10:55 PM

*emphisis mine*

Part of the problem I'm encountering is probably from the heat...the voltage setting is auto so I'm starting to wonder if the unit is overheating due to not being properly seated with the cooler...It's an Asetek unit so I'm not too conserned with running a bit warm ;)

Fire$torm
02-03-11, 03:33 AM
*emphisis mine*

Part of the problem I'm encountering is probably from the heat...the voltage setting is auto so I'm starting to wonder if the unit is overheating due to not being properly seated with the cooler...It's an Asetek unit so I'm not too conserned with running a bit warm ;)

It could also be the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) aka the sticky paste. If you used too much it acts as an insulator. I once (very, very, briefly) forgot to put ANY TIM on my CPU which is never a good thing. One other possibility, since you installed water cooling is that the TIM that came pre-applied may be of poor quality or a bad batch was used at the factory.

DrPop
02-03-11, 08:25 AM
Sarge - you have a good O/C CPU on your hands and a decent set of components to do it with. You ought to hit 3.8 - 4GHz easy with that water cooled rig.

The problem you're facing is the stuff in "auto" mode in the BIOS. Going to have to get your feet wet here. That CPU comes stock @ 1.4V. It is not a problem to raise this number prudently, as long as you have a good cooler (you do), and you keep an eye on the temps.

Try setting the Vcore to 1.475V and go up to 1.5V if you must. Don't go higher than that unless you are VERY sure your water cooling is performing at the top of its game.

Next you will have to play with the NB speed. This is because the Memory controller is on board the CPU. Play with a NB speed of 2.4 - 2.6GHz or so.
You will also have to give the NB a little more juice than normal, so up that about two or three "settings" from what the AUTO gives you.

A MAJOR part of your instability can be from your RAM. Back off the timings, up the voltage to 1.65V (don't go higher than that for now), and see if that helps. If not, cut your multiplier - for example, you can choose 1:4, 1:3.3 speeds, etc. As you raise your FSB (bus speed), the RAM speed will raise, so you can back off on the O/C of the memory and still O/C the processor to the hilt. This fixes many stability issues if heat and/or poor quality PSU or low voltage are not thecause.
You listed your RAM at 1333. It could be easily pushing 1500 - 1600 or more, and just might not be stable at that speed. You could easily change it to run under tah\

And last but not least - you have a Black Edition! The ratio is unlocked. Try setting the FSB at some moderate over clock, and then play with your CPU multiplier until you get the "best" stable setting. Then try to push your FSB higher.
Rule of thumb is that the rig will be at its absolute fastest on the highest FSB the motherboard can run stable, and then choose the highest mulitpliers on the CPU that you can get to work with that FSB. The rule can be broken, however, if you have a "weak" mobo and a "strong O/C" CPU.

There's more, of course, but this is all I have time to post right now. Give that a shot and report back. Also, as F$ said, what did you use to contact the CPU with the water cooled HSF block? I hope you have some Arctic Silver type goop in there - it will drop the temps 5 to 10 degrees, so well worth it. Enough for a few hundred more MHz at least.

Sarge104
02-03-11, 12:53 PM
Sarge - you have a good O/C CPU on your hands and a decent set of components to do it with. You ought to hit 3.8 - 4GHz easy with that water cooled rig.

The problem you're facing is the stuff in "auto" mode in the BIOS. Going to have to get your feet wet here. That CPU comes stock @ 1.4V. It is not a problem to raise this number prudently, as long as you have a good cooler (you do), and you keep an eye on the temps.

Try setting the Vcore to 1.475V and go up to 1.5V if you must. Don't go higher than that unless you are VERY sure your water cooling is performing at the top of its game.

Next you will have to play with the NB speed. This is because the Memory controller is on board the CPU. Play with a NB speed of 2.4 - 2.6GHz or so.
You will also have to give the NB a little more juice than normal, so up that about two or three "settings" from what the AUTO gives you.

A MAJOR part of your instability can be from your RAM. Back off the timings, up the voltage to 1.65V (don't go higher than that for now), and see if that helps. If not, cut your multiplier - for example, you can choose 1:4, 1:3.3 speeds, etc. As you raise your FSB (bus speed), the RAM speed will raise, so you can back off on the O/C of the memory and still O/C the processor to the hilt. This fixes many stability issues if heat and/or poor quality PSU or low voltage are not thecause.
You listed your RAM at 1333. It could be easily pushing 1500 - 1600 or more, and just might not be stable at that speed. You could easily change it to run under tah\

And last but not least - you have a Black Edition! The ratio is unlocked. Try setting the FSB at some moderate over clock, and then play with your CPU multiplier until you get the "best" stable setting. Then try to push your FSB higher.
Rule of thumb is that the rig will be at its absolute fastest on the highest FSB the motherboard can run stable, and then choose the highest mulitpliers on the CPU that you can get to work with that FSB. The rule can be broken, however, if you have a "weak" mobo and a "strong O/C" CPU.

There's more, of course, but this is all I have time to post right now. Give that a shot and report back. Also, as F$ said, what did you use to contact the CPU with the water cooled HSF block? I hope you have some Arctic Silver type goop in there - it will drop the temps 5 to 10 degrees, so well worth it. Enough for a few hundred more MHz at least.

Really appreciate the suggestions and after I take the tower in for a look from some professionals I will give the tweeks a try, might even put it through its paces while it's being looked at if PG gives me enough WU's to play with.

Right now I'm stuck with thermal grease made by tuniq, when I take it in for a check-up I'll see if the guys have anything better, store owner is a geocaching buddy of mine so he will see that it gets done right.

Fire$torm
02-03-11, 08:08 PM
Really appreciate the suggestions and after I take the tower in for a look from some professionals I will give the tweeks a try, might even put it through its paces while it's being looked at if PG gives me enough WU's to play with.

Right now I'm stuck with thermal grease made by tuniq, when I take it in for a check-up I'll see if the guys have anything better, store owner is a geocaching buddy of mine so he will see that it gets done right.

Sorry to hear about the Tuniq TIM. I have read many posts and a few articles that say their stuff just, well.... SUCKS!!! Arctic Silver 5 is the undisputed king of TIM.

Sarge104
02-04-11, 09:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the Tuniq TIM. I have read many posts and a few articles that say their stuff just, well.... SUCKS!!! Arctic Silver 5 is the undisputed king of TIM.

Tuniq TX-2 is what I've got and it's recieved decent reviews in compairason to AS5. Though AS5 usually performs better after it is allowed to set in (up to 200hrs).

Fire$torm
02-04-11, 11:37 AM
Tuniq TX-2 is what I've got and it's recieved decent reviews in compairason to AS5. Though AS5 usually performs better after it is allowed to set in (up to 200hrs).

Hmmm, I have read reviews of tuniq TIM products where they state that the TIM will break down after a short time rendering it useless. I will see if I can find the references. They must have been reviewing a different or earlier version of Tuniq TIM.

Sarge104
02-07-11, 07:52 PM
Quick update on the overclocking...

Took the tower up to a friends computer store during the second day of the PG challenge. After taking the cooler off he said the thermal grease had been pushed to one side after a time and was the primary culprit on my mystery shutdowns. Recieved the computer back a couple hours later with a new batch of thermal grease installed and proceeded to crank it to the hilt.

Needless to say I was still running hot at 60C but I had all four cores at least. Tuned it down to 100mhz overclock and it kept till the end of the challenge. After the challenge ended I was able to see that the thermal grease had finally set and brought the temp down to a comfortable 52C so decided today to crank it back up to 600mhz overclock and it's sitting pretty at 56-57C.

I haven't been able to overclock the ram just yet but I'm not entirely sure its needed at this point. The motherboard came with desktop overclocking tools but they only go from 1333 to 1600 which I'm thinking is just too big of a jump right now to try and take. Will see about going into the bios again and starting with some small steps. Trial and error will have to be done till I can get the maximum amount of power out of the tower. I appreciate all you guys have done to help with the issue. Thanks!