PDA

View Full Version : cc_config: ncpus

Maxwell
07-03-14, 12:09 AM
Does the <ncpus> function in the cc_config file still work? Since the BU ASIC wus are meant to be nci, could I set ncpus = cores + BU wus? For example, a 6 core machine running 3 ASIC wus would have ncpus = 9.

I'm thinking this might allow me to run cpu projects on the 6 cores as well as getting the BU wus to run. Would this work? If so, would I also have to use proLasso too force certain projects onto certain cores?

myshortpencil
07-03-14, 12:30 AM
I'm too tired to think about the whole question, but if you have 3 ASIC devices on 1 computer, they function as 1, at least within 1 instance of Boinc Manager. Even though you may see 3 WUs running at a time, only 1 WU is accessing the devices at a time. My understanding is they don't multiplex, but 1 runs and completes, then the next one moves in and uses all ASIC devices.

Maxwell
07-03-14, 12:53 AM
I'm too tired to think about the whole question, but if you have 3 ASIC devices on 1 computer, they function as 1, at least within 1 instance of Boinc Manager. Even though you may see 3 WUs running at a time, only 1 WU is accessing the devices at a time. My understanding is they don't multiplex, but 1 runs and completes, then the next one moves in and uses all ASIC devices.
That may be true, but the issue I'm having is that I'm seeing 3 ASIC wus "running" at once, and they are taking up 3 of the processor cores, even though they aren't really using the processor. I want to get around that.

Maxwell
07-05-14, 01:31 PM
In case anyone was curious, this actually did work. Got the cpu back running under a full load, crunching 3 BU Wus along with it.

Bryan
07-05-14, 02:34 PM
Does the <ncpus> function in the cc_config file still work?

Yes sir it still works :D