PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "Data Recovery" utility that really works

Fire$torm
07-03-14, 02:42 AM
Q: Why do I need one? A: Just plz don't ask.
Q: Why not use backups? A: See answer above.

Utilities I have already tried:

Recuva - Useless

Wondershare Data Recovery - Used RAW mode which got most of the file tree and file names right, but 90% of recovered data is corrupt.

Can someone point me to a program/utility? Something that truly works and is preferably free?
Note: Cannot afford any form of data recovery service.

Maxwell
07-03-14, 03:04 AM
Oy... been there. I think the "just please don't ask" statement really sums up the feeling on the subject. Sorry to hear about this.

The one time I've tried to do some data recovery, it went really poorly. But here is a list (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm) that may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

pinhodecarlos
07-03-14, 07:37 AM
This option uses Microsoft Explorer.....MICROSOFT..lol
Under Windows 7 or 8, go to Explorer, right click on the folder you want to restore and choose "restore previous versions". Choose date.
This was how I manage to restore a folder I deleted by mistake with more than two weeks of manual crunching. None of the free software's managed to restore what I wanted. As in your case 90% of recovered data was corrupted.

myshortpencil
07-03-14, 09:21 AM
I do two kinds of backups. I do system backups on Win7 machines with Acronis True Image 12 and EaseUS Todo on Win8 machines. I use Second Copy for all machines to hourly copy selected directories to a network drive. I also use it to synchronize directories on 3 machines through the network drive. I have used all of these programs to restore system and data files. Second copy even has a file validation option after copying, which I use.

Slicker
07-03-14, 05:02 PM
For about $10K, there is a clean room in Minneapolis that will restore data even if the hard drive crashed (and even making grinding and squeeking and nashing sounds). If it is really important, I'll try and dig up the name. Haven't used them in almost 10 years. It sounds like a lot to spend but it was for a $2.5M per year for 5 years contract and the RFP response had to be turned in within 48 hours. Granted, the Manager responsible didn't get a promotion that year, but I got an excellent review for being able to find a company to do the work and get it in on time (literally driving the packaged hard drive to and from the airport for same day delivery and one day turnaround).

c303a
07-03-14, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately not free but I have used it several times and have been able to get good results.
http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/Buy-Windows-Data-Recovery-Software.php

Fire$torm
07-04-14, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys for the tips. Will try an unlocked version of Kernel for Windows today in one last attempt to retrieve valid data. Then it will be time to reformat the drive and move on.

Still really irked with myself. 500 lashes (one for each GB lost + punitive) and still counting......

Fire$torm
07-05-14, 10:55 PM
Hey c303a, that util really works!!! It's just really really slow. The program has two stages to it's scanning process. And it's the second part that takes forever. After about 20 hours it was a little over 7% complete. Still, just with that 7% I have been able to recover almost 200 GB of data.

At this point in time I'm going to transfer the problem HDD to another computer and run Kernel for Windows on that system. Figure it will need 2~3 days. Then I'll have access to the rest of my data. Yipeeeeeee :D

Again, thanks a million for posting that info c303a. Your a life saver!

Mike029
07-05-14, 10:58 PM
Sweet!! Congrats. No more stress? We wish.

Fire$torm
07-05-14, 11:14 PM
Sweet!! Congrats. No more stress? We wish.

loool...

Yeah, this is just about the only thing I have been doing for the last 3 days. Trying to recover that data. In fact I just remembered I was supposed to email/PM some design ideas to you for one of your hardware projects.... ooops, sorry bro. I'll try to get it done tonight.

c303a
07-06-14, 12:20 PM
I had high hopes that it would work since it did for me. Yes it takes a lot of time but I recovered about 800 gbs of pics and music for a neighbor. Took almost 4 days on one of my slow machines but all of their wedding pics and 11 years of family pics were on the disc. Need I say that you need to do a backup. LOL. I have 2 backups. It goes to a external HDD daily and another HDD weekly so hopefully I have it pretty well covered.

Glad it worked for you. It was some of the best money I spent on software.

zombie67
07-07-14, 04:23 AM
Three backups:

- One to a local source, easy to retrieve as needed.
- One to an external source, physical (Send a DVD or actual HD to your friend/relative/whatever)
- One to an external source, cloud

Or just rely on the NSA to back it all up.

Or just post it on the internet, and google will back it all up. They are the actual source for NSA anyway.

;)

Fire$torm
07-07-14, 08:01 AM
Three backups:

- One to a local source, easy to retrieve as needed.
- One to an external source, physical (Send a DVD or actual HD to your friend/relative/whatever)
- One to an external source, cloud

Or just rely on the NSA to back it all up.

Or just post it on the internet, and google will back it all up. They are the actual source for NSA anyway.

;)

Yeah, the 3 pronged backup system. Can't afford #3. #2, well I'd do the "stream to remote node" thing except I'm the only technically inclined person in my family.

And as for the NSA? I thought Google did a hostile takeover years ago......