PDA

View Full Version : QCN Continual Eating my HDD

Maxwell
07-06-14, 12:29 PM
So I had a weird problem the other day...

I kept getting a message (from several projects) that I didn't have enough hard drive space for a new WU. I looked at my stats in the BOINC manager, and it was showing me that QCN Continual was eating up ~260GB of space. I detached from that project, and everything went back to normal for all the other projects.

Anyone seen this?

zombie67
07-07-14, 03:20 AM
nope

Fire$torm
07-07-14, 07:44 AM
Not sure. Sounds like maybe the QCN app had a bug. Something like repeatedly doing one or more file operations ---> creating new log file, opening up compressed data file, etc...

Anyone else reporting a similar issue on the project forums?

Maxwell
08-20-14, 02:03 PM
This just happened to me again, but with EMSC-CSEM Continual. Using up 280+GB of drive space, and even prevented me from downloading a WUProp unit. And no message boards, so I don't know if anyone else is seeing this. Damn it!

Bryan
08-20-14, 02:13 PM
I've never seen this but I have run into an issue in the past with the QCN projects. They are NCI and use almost no CPU but after running them for a week or more continuously sometimes they would start using 3-7% of a processor thread. I would abort them, get a new WU, and all was fine again. I was running 9 at a time and this was quite common.

Maxwell
08-20-14, 03:03 PM
I've never seen this but I have run into an issue in the past with the QCN projects. They are NCI and use almost no CPU but after running them for a week or more continuously sometimes they would start using 3-7% of a processor thread. I would abort them, get a new WU, and all was fine again. I was running 9 at a time and this was quite common.
Oh - one key detail I left out. These WUs are fine on computers without a sensor. This behavior is only happening on the laptop that has a sensor built in...

Al
08-20-14, 03:20 PM
Oh - one key detail I left out. These WUs are fine on computers without a sensor. This behavior is only happening on the laptop that has a sensor built in...
That explains why I've never seen this problem. Sensors....hmmmmm....on my list of things to get at some point.

Bryan
08-20-14, 04:55 PM
That explains why I've never seen this problem. Sensors....hmmmmm....on my list of things to get at some point.

+1

That'll teach you Maxwell ... lose the sensor =))