PDA

View Full Version : What new Laptop should I buy

Fogle
02-04-11, 09:10 PM
Guys your not going to believe my luck, for Valentines Day this year my wife suggested we get a new Laptop as a combined gift. :) She uses it for photoshop and some Internet and that's all. I'm sure I'll be able to crunch with it on occasion for challenges and the inievitable emergency. Which will probably be every other weekend. :cool: Anyway my budget is between $500 to $800 but there are a lot fo choices out there. What do you think?

Maxwell
02-04-11, 09:30 PM
What do you want it to do? That's the key question. Well, that and what are your crunching goals? ;)

I'm going to throw this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215003) out there as a starting point. $700, pretty good NVidia card, ok CPU. Will certainly hold its own. Probably get you 40-50k/day on PG, if I were to guess...

Fogle
02-04-11, 09:38 PM
I wanted at least a Core Duo so that's covered and I do like the fact that it has a NVIdia GPU as my desktop has ATI. I can cover more projects that way. Hard drive space doesn't have to be huge as I have a good stand alone drive. Large screen is a must for the picture editing. So that takes me back to the good graphics card.

Maxwell
02-04-11, 10:01 PM
This one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220733) has the largest screen I can find in that price range. CPU not as good, GPU not as good, but biggest screen.
This one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220796) has a little smaller screen, a *slightly* better GPU and a much better CPU.

Of course, both of those are recertified, if that's an issue...

Bumping back down to the original screen size, I might stick with the original recommendation. But those are what I could find quickly and on Newegg only.

DrPop
02-05-11, 02:47 AM
Wow, Fogle - that is awesome! What's not to like about that proposal? :D

I would lean more toward getting the best GPU you can, within your budget. You can pretty much change everything else on a laptop if you really wanted to (usually not worth the effort, but can be done)...except you are pretty much stuck with the GPU and screen you buy in it.
After having a few laptops over the years, the lack of graphics "muscle power" is where they feel the most dated after a while when compared to newer or similar priced desktop rigs.

Fogle
02-06-11, 11:24 AM
OK here's what I came home with. Had to shop at Best Buy as the wife "who must be obeyed" wanted to feel the keyboard, you know how the touch on the keys was. How can you argue with that. Anyway I got a HP Pavilion dv7, Intel i7 2.53GHZ Turbo to 2.8GHZ, 17.3" screen, 640 GB HD, 6GB RAM DDR3, ATI Radeon GPU.:D

Been running Primegrid all night to Stress tests the CPU's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And later (after 1PM) I'll take a look at setting the GPU to work. Thanks everyone for your input.

Fire$torm
02-06-11, 01:44 PM
OK here's what I came home with. Had to shop at Best Buy as the wife "who must be obeyed" wanted to feel the keyboard, you know how the touch on the keys was. How can you argue with that. Anyway I got a HP Pavilion dv7, Intel i7 2.53GHZ Turbo to 2.8GHZ, 17.3" screen, 640 GB HD, 6GB RAM DDR3, ATI Radeon GPU.:D

Been running Primegrid all night to Stress tests the CPU's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And later (after 1PM) I'll take a look at setting the GPU to work. Thanks everyone for your input.

Ahhhhh, The smell of fresh Tech. Gotta love it. :P

Good find there Fogle. :-bd Enjoy the new hardware and Crunch On!

DrPop
02-06-11, 03:24 PM
Been running Primegrid all night to Stress tests the CPU's. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Love it! ;) It's so true...you just have to see if the company is still living up to its production standards these days! :D:cool: