PDA

View Full Version : Not requesting tasks: don't need

trigggl
07-25-14, 07:51 PM
I keep getting the following message for all projects and my boinc client refuses to keep a supply of work. Anyone know how to resolve this, or what causes it? It just sits around idle.

Fri 25 Jul 2014 06:45:01 PM CDT | DistributedDataMining | Not requesting tasks: don't need

Maxwell
07-25-14, 08:11 PM
Are you running any of the NCI QCN apps? I get this problem all the time when I run CPU projects alongside those QCN projects.

If so, try suspending the projects until work downloads, or simply remove them.

trigggl
07-25-14, 08:14 PM
Did you need to get rid of all of them or just the offshoots from the main one? Killing them all for now.

EDIT: Instant results, THANKS!

EDIT2: That explains why it was only happening on one box.

Maxwell
07-25-14, 08:20 PM
For me, it was the ones with the ridiculous time remaining estimates. On my laptop that actually crunches the WUs, I employed this trick (http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?7310-fraction_done_exact) to get a more accurate time estimate. On the desktops that are running them simply for hours, I sometimes have to just suspend the ones with big time remaining estimates (QCN original and QCN continual don't have time remaining estimates for me).

Also, for some reason, once I go through the "suspend QCNs, download WUs for CPU, re-enable QCNs" process a couple of times, they figure out how to play together. No clue why.

Fire$torm
07-26-14, 04:01 PM
....Also, for some reason, once I go through the "suspend QCNs, download WUs for CPU, re-enable QCNs" process a couple of times, they figure out how to play together. No clue why.

Me bethinks to say "DA Logic".

cineon_lut
07-31-14, 04:38 PM
This is very frustrating. My BU machines are doing great on BU, but sucking wind on all of their other procs. SAT@Home is saying this same crap.

Bryan
07-31-14, 04:45 PM
Personally I've never seen that message and I never have trouble getting work on anything. Of course you guys probably aren't running special 120 CPU machines like mine. :D

Maxwell
07-31-14, 04:53 PM
This is very frustrating. My BU machines are doing great on BU, but sucking wind on all of their other procs. SAT@Home is saying this same crap.
What projects are you running on this one? Helps diagnose things to know...

cineon_lut
07-31-14, 05:06 PM
What projects are you running on this one? Helps diagnose things to know...

Bitcoin Utopia on ASICs. Not the NCI variety. When I run any other CPU project, I get that "don't need" b.s. I have to suspend BU, update, and resume BU. When that cache is done I have to do it again. I have BU set to max_concurrent of 1, and any other projects I make an app_config to max_concurrent of 7 (on an 8 core machine).

cineon_lut
07-31-14, 05:07 PM
Personally I've never seen that message and I never have trouble getting work on anything. Of course you guys probably aren't running special 120 CPU machines like mine. :D

I may have to put the ncpus tag back into play on those machines.

Maxwell
07-31-14, 05:14 PM
Bitcoin Utopia on ASICs. Not the NCI variety. When I run any other CPU project, I get that "don't need" b.s. I have to suspend BU, update, and resume BU. When that cache is done I have to do it again. I have BU set to max_concurrent of 1, and any other projects I make an app_config to max_concurrent of 7 (on an 8 core machine).
Are you running any of the QCN family of projects? Those ones wreak havoc with me getting new tasks...

cineon_lut
07-31-14, 07:46 PM
Are you running any of the QCN family of projects? Those ones wreak havoc with me getting new tasks...

No, not a one. It only happens with my BU machines. I remember you posting about QCN but I'm seeing it with BU.

Maxwell
07-31-14, 08:06 PM
No, not a one. It only happens with my BU machines. I remember you posting about QCN but I'm seeing it with BU.
Well, damn. I'm not sure I can be of much help; not running BU on a machine crunching anything else. I just know that the BU NCI WUs play very nicely with other projects.

zombie67
07-31-14, 10:28 PM

Yes, this is because BOINC doesn't know that you have x threads dedicated one project, and y threads dedicated to another. It is not smart enough to know about your app_config.xml's. The best solution I have found is to run BU in the native BOINC, and then run all the rest of your projects in a VM. Each with a wuprop task, of course.