PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm a Moron" Thread

Maxwell
07-29-14, 11:37 AM
I like stories of people being idiots because they make me feel better when I do stupid things. So, I thought we needed a thread of "I'm a Moron" stories to share. I'll start:

This morning, I noticed one of my GPUs had gone idle. Didn't have time to deal with it right then, so I figured I'd Teamviewer into it when I got to work in 15 minutes and set it up with a new project. Only when I got to work, I remembered that I'd yet to put Teamviewer on that computer. Guess I have an idle GPU all day... :mad:

dave c
07-29-14, 03:13 PM
lol did the same thing 2 days ago , had to make some changes to my bu config on my home pc but had to get to work so i was like ill connect from work , get to work fire up teamviewer and relize it wasnt running on the pc i needed it on.
luckily the wife was home and i was able to get her to go start up tv for me lol

Duke of Buckingham
07-29-14, 06:08 PM
http://global3.memecdn.com/i-think-i-am-an-idiot_o_1151673.jpg
and yes I am a
http://blog19446.com/image_store/uploads/4/8/0/9/3/ar127083423039084.jpg
but I have been thinking and cant explain it
Too difficult for a moron like me

Fire$torm
07-30-14, 06:09 PM
Well, once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I accepted the position of admin on a forum.......

Maxwell
07-30-14, 06:38 PM
Well, once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away, I accepted the position of admin on a forum.......
And now you want to drink ALL the beers... ;)

Maxwell
07-31-14, 02:57 PM
Today's moron moment:

Installing BOINC on a laptop. Get a message that BOINC is not available for my type of process. Panic ensues.

Panic then subsides once I removed my head from my rectal region and realized I was installing the x64 version on a 32-bit machine. Oy.

Ron Shurtz
07-31-14, 11:15 PM
DUH Moment. (I'm officially a Moron!)

Tonight I built a homemade power cable to attach an r-box to my computer's power supply using a molex connector.
I took great care in making the solder joints and insulating it. It looked very well built.
I also used a volt ohm meter to check the continuity and correctness of the connections.

I had made this configuration 3 times before with great success and neatness.

I went to plug in the cable to the power supply and it wouldn't fit.

DOH!!! I had very carefully attached a male molex connector from the scrap drawer to the end of my r-box barrel connector.

The two male connectors (the cable and the computer power supply) would not mate.
My computer is just not that inclined. :o

Back to the work bench to start all over with a female connector this time. ~X(

Bryan
08-01-14, 12:03 AM
My moment last week ... I was working on getting all the current PG badges up to the gold level. All my machines had HT turned off and I had 4 machines running one project and the last 2 machines each had 6 SOB WU going. So I get enough pending done on the 1st project and I change to the next. Then I went in one machine at a time and deleted the running WU because I didn't need any more. That was fine through the 1st 4 machines. Yep, you guessed it, I continued to the last 2 machines as well and deleted 12 SOB WU that had been running over 4 days and would have finished in about 12 more hours. DOH!!!

Mumps
08-01-14, 12:04 AM
"Here's yer sign!" :))

Bryan
08-01-14, 12:25 AM
Here is an "old" one. Years ago, when I worked for HP, I had a very very nice HP Workstation with a high speed, high capacity external HDD that I did all my work on. For a 3 week period I had been writing application notes that we published on how to use a PC to control test instrument over HPIB (HP Interface Bus). There were 4 versions that covered the different common HPIB/GPIB interace cards. So for 3 weeks all I had played with was a PC and DOS.

We had an engr. come down from HP Loveland that wanted to show us some software they were developing and he asked if he could borrow my Workstation and of course I said sure. So here we are in a room of probably 50 R&D engineers and he hands me a 3.5" floppy and asks me to move it to the hard drive. No problemo ... copy A:\ C:\ and hit Return. One slight problem did emerge ... the OS on the Workstation was NOT DOS. The command actually made the C: drive the exact image of the 3.5" floppy. So I now had a very expensive, high speed, high capabity 3.5" floppy. The second I hit return I realized what I had done and reached for the power cord but of course it was far too late to be saved. I stood up and walked out of the room without saying a single word ... hard to believe :D

Fortunately, there was a built in tape drive on that HDD. Unfortunately, someone had been too lazy to use it for over 6 months ... I lost a lot of work that afternoon. Have you ever seen a grown man cry =))

Maxwell
08-01-14, 01:41 AM
So glad to see I'm not the only one around here...

@Bryan: I'm not sure my expletive vocabulary is large enough to cover the amount of cursing that would have been required in that last situation...

Maxwell
08-01-14, 02:28 PM
WARNING TO EVERYONE!!!

WUProp hours don't count when you have the task suspended for several days! *punches self in face*

Fire$torm
08-05-14, 01:40 PM
WARNING TO EVERYONE!!!

WUProp hours don't count when you have the task suspended for several days! *punches self in face*

errrr hmmmmm.... yeah, been there, done that.

Mumps
08-05-14, 02:19 PM
My daughter hit me up with this one last night.

She plugged her Tablet into her power strip to charge. Got kinda pissed that it wouldn't charge enough to turn back on right away. After about 15 minutes of waiting, she finally remembered she had unplugged the power strip from the wall 30 minutes earlier. :))

At least she was laughing at herself as she told me about it. :)

myshortpencil
08-05-14, 02:36 PM
<app_config>
<app>
<name>A-cgminer-4.4.0</name>
</app>
<app_version>
<app_name>A-cgminer-4.4.0</app_name>
<plan_class>asic</plan_class>
<cmdline>--anu-freq 225</cmdline>
</app_version
</app_config>

Antminer wasn't overclocking. EmSti found the problem. No closing "greater than" sign at the end of </app_version. DAMN

I don't know how that happened at 2 am. :) I wasted several posts over in Bitcoin Utopia proving my stupidity for posterity!

Maxwell
08-05-14, 02:53 PM
My daughter hit me up with this one last night.

She plugged her Tablet into her power strip to charge. Got kinda pissed that it wouldn't charge enough to turn back on right away. After about 15 minutes of waiting, she finally remembered she had unplugged the power strip from the wall 30 minutes earlier. :))

At least she was laughing at herself as she told me about it. :)
Been there. A while back, I set up a laptop to continue crunching while I was on vacation, and plugged it into the power strip. Then, 20 minutes later, I unplugged that same power strip for vacation. Boy did I feel smart...

Maxwell
08-05-14, 07:22 PM
Here's a fun one:

Install a 32-bit OS on a machine with 16Gb of RAM.

Courtesy of the office "IT guy" who reinstalled the OS after the HDD crashed. Left with 2.21Gb of usable RAM. And to think I was wondering why the computer got REALLY slow whenever I'd open Chrome or FF...

Maxwell
10-10-14, 12:15 PM
Here's my latest amazing trick:

Step 1. Complain about how you're not getting the WUProp credits you think you should be.
Step 2. Complain about how you're not getting the WUProp hours you think you should be.
Step 3. Do nothing about this for a couple days.
Step 4. Notice, somewhat randomly, that WUProp has been set to NNT, for some stupid reason.
Step 5. Fix that.
Step 6. Repeat.

[Yes, this is twice now I've done this...]

Sarge104
10-10-14, 01:22 PM
Wife was not able to access any webpages on the laptop and was undergoing Facebook and Netflix withdrawals. She vented to me during my lunch break yesterday and after taking a quick look I spent over three hours after getting off work checking ip addresses and connection issues. Finally the thought occurred to me that the main complaint from the websites where cookie related and not internet connection related...3.1 hours later after starting this little diagnostics session I finally corrected the system time and checked to make sure it was pulling time updates from the correct server.

Wife is happy, now I'm happy. Amazing how that works...:D

Fire$torm
10-10-14, 02:06 PM
@Maxwell: I feel your anguish....

@Sarge: "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

Maxwell
02-13-15, 05:06 PM
Latest "Moron" moment:

I've lost the ability to quickly type the word "pro". I've been typing "wuprop" so frequently on the boards here that whenever I start with "pro" my fingers automatically put the last "p" on there. Makes typing emails at work quite difficult.