PDA

View Full Version : OS X beta causing problems

jgillett
08-02-14, 02:23 PM
OS X 10.10b went up recently. Now have the following problem...

Previously (under 10.9.4) was running 3 ap and 2 cuda WUs. Now it runs only the 3 ap WUs. Front end of the log shows...

Starting BOINC client version 7.2.42 for x86_64-apple-darwin
log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
Libraries: libcurl/7.26.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.9.1
Data directory: /Library/Application Support/BOINC Data
OpenCL: NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce GTX 780M (driver version 10.0.31 310.41.05b15, device version OpenCL 1.2, 4096MB, 4096MB available, 100 GFLOPS peak)
OpenCL CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz (OpenCL driver vendor: Apple, driver version 1.1, device version OpenCL 1.2)
SETI@home | Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform
App version needs CUDA but GPU doesn't support it
SETI@home | [error] State file error: missing application file setiathome_7.00_i686-apple-darwin
App version needs CUDA but GPU doesn't support it
Missing coprocessor for task 04dc08ae.31005.890.438086664201.12.152_0
etc.

Task window shows the following for all cuda WUs...

Missing coprocessor for task 04dc08ae.31005.890.438086664201.12.152_0

Log also throws this error on a regular basis...

Message from server: Your app_info.xml file doesn't have a usable version of SETI@home v7.

NO changes have been made to the BOINC setup. Prior to the OS upgrade it was running fine. After the upgrade (and the reinstall of BOINC as it requested on the restart) - the above mess.

And now the server has run out of ap WUs, so nothing at all is running.

Obviously I understand it's beta software. However - any thoughts appreciated.

zombie67
08-02-14, 02:37 PM
Sorry, I can't help. Haven't tried Yosemite yet.

jgillett
08-02-14, 03:08 PM
Having a few minor annoyances with it (BOINC is further up the annoyed ladder), but basically it's been running very well. They did a good job with it.

Thanks anyway...

Duke of Buckingham
08-02-14, 07:39 PM
My brain stopped working in the middle of that list jgillett.

jgillett
08-02-14, 08:04 PM
Actually mine stopped before that!

Basically it's saying BOINC has completely forgotten how to handle cuda WUs, and that's with no changes of any kind to the setup. Have been through previous OS betas and upgrades with none of this nonsense.

As mentioned I know this is beta and way left field, and I appreciate everybody's patience with this post, but I've run out of places to look for help.

Thanks.

zombie67
08-02-14, 08:19 PM
Hit up Charlie Fenton. He is the OSX guy, who builds the BOINC client for OSX. He probably would appreciate any heads up for 10.10 issues.

Duke of Buckingham
08-02-14, 08:22 PM
Actually mine stopped before that!

Basically it's saying BOINC has completely forgotten how to handle cuda WUs, and that's with no changes of any kind to the setup. Have been through previous OS betas and upgrades with none of this nonsense.

As mentioned I know this is beta and way left field, and I appreciate everybody's patience with this post, but I've run out of places to look for help.

Thanks.

Only joking jgillett but it was a nice answer, Me, myself and I are always lost, sometimes late and rarely certain. 8-}

jgillett
08-02-14, 09:36 PM
Hit up Charlie Fenton. He is the OSX guy, who builds the BOINC client for OSX. He probably would appreciate any heads up for 10.10 issues.

Is he here on the forum?

Thanks.

jgillett
08-02-14, 09:42 PM
Only joking jgillett but it was a nice answer, Me, myself and I are always lost, sometimes late and rarely certain. 8-}

Understood, and what I thought, but just wanted to be certain as I was not sure about posting this kind of beta problem here.

As for your 'Me, myself and I...' comment - I, too fall into that big hole, along with my own self-defined ARS (Age Related Syndrome). Pretty much covers it... :rolleyes:

zombie67
08-02-14, 10:44 PM
Is he here on the forum?

Nope. He is on the dev lists:

http://lists.ssl.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/boinc_alpha
http://lists.ssl.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/boinc_dev

You can also try the BOINC message boards. The devs don't read them. But ageless will relay some things back to the devs.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/index.php

Mumps
08-02-14, 11:35 PM
Silly Windows based suggestion... With the O/S Upgrade, did you re-install any GPU drivers? Sounds like you did an in-place upgrade but then it asked you to reinstall specific things. I wonder if the Video card drivers just need a re-install to sort things out. (Specifically, that mention of "App version needs CUDA but GPU doesn't support it" suggests maybe the CUDA portion went AWOL.)

zombie67
08-03-14, 12:10 AM
Good point. CUDA DL page:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Lists only through 10.9. Does CUDA support 10.10 yet?

jgillett
08-03-14, 12:11 AM
Nope. He is on the dev lists:

Thank you!

jgillett
08-03-14, 12:19 AM
Good point. CUDA DL page:

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Lists only through 10.9. Does CUDA support 10.10 yet?

Good point, but unknown since 10.10 is still an early beta. NVIDIA item in 10.10 System Prefs indicates 'No newer CUDA driver available'.

Thanks.

zombie67
08-03-14, 12:25 AM
I googled around a bit, but couldn't find anything about CUDA support for 10.10/yosemite. But I am notoriously bad at searching.

jgillett
08-03-14, 12:26 AM
Silly Windows based suggestion...

Not silly at all. No new drivers were installed by me, nor did Apple suggest in any of the docs that would be necessary. This was an optional card when the system was manufactured and I'm thinking they just forgot to check fo it in the new software (although, as mentioned initially, have been through other beta upgrades with this system and had no problems at all with BOINC or anything else - no additional steps were required).

Thanks.

jgillett
08-03-14, 12:31 AM
I googled around a bit, but couldn't find anything about CUDA support for 10.10/yosemite. But I am notoriously bad at searching.

This beta has only been out for about a week, and is/could be different from the one developers get. Doubtful that anything would shown up in a search as Apple keeps this kind of stuff pretty quiet.

Thanks.

zombie67
08-03-14, 01:19 AM
Not silly at all. No new drivers were installed by me, nor did Apple suggest in any of the docs that would be necessary. This was an optional card when the system was manufactured and I'm thinking they just forgot to check fo it in the new software (although, as mentioned initially, have been through other beta upgrades with this system and had no problems at all with BOINC or anything else - no additional steps were required).

Keep in mind, the GPU drivers are completely different from CUDA. So Apple probably made sure the GPU drivers works for what GPUs normally do. CUDA is not part of OSX, and Apple relies on nVidia to provide that.

jgillett
08-05-14, 05:02 PM
Keep in mind, the GPU drivers are completely different from CUDA. So Apple probably made sure the GPU drivers works for what GPUs normally do. CUDA is not part of OSX, and Apple relies on nVidia to provide that.

Understood.

I reinstalled the 5.5.28 cuda stuff (down level has been necessary because of errors generated by later driver versions against OS X). That resulted in no change; i.e. no WUs at all in progress or even loaded.

Had been sitting on an updated v7 app from the Crunchers folks (MBv7_7.05r2203_sse3_OSX64_noprof). Came with its own app_info. Still had the complete blank window in BOINC. Found a name problem between the app_info and the actual app. Fixed that and BOINC started pulling down a mess of _v7 7.05 WUs! They're actually running and uploading.

Feeling my oats I took the new app.info and combined it with the original that had been running properly prior to 10.10b. Still have the 7.05s running, but still no ap or cuda WUs (think the server actually ran dry on the ap stuff). So - better than nothing, but not as good as pre-beta OS. Trying NVIDIA 6.0.37 made no difference.

And - thank you all for your patience and suggestions with me on this! :o

jgillett
08-08-14, 03:49 AM
Silly thing finally decided to start processing. Now runs ap WUs as before, but has also decided to run v7 WUs (never did before). Unfortunately, the old cuda problem is back...

Pulls cuda WUs but can't run them. This was fixed in the older OS version by running 5.5.28 drivers. Have tried both that and the new 6.0.37 but both fail the same way.

At least it's now running something...

zombie67
09-03-14, 01:18 AM
Here is a post from Charlie Fenton (the mac developer) the BOINC alpha email list:

Mac testers, please download and test BOINC 7.4.19 from <http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.4.19_macOSX_i686.zip>. This is a fairly urgent fix for compatibility with the recently released CUDA version 6.5 drivers from NVIDIA. Earlier versions of BOINC won't recognize CUDA on the Mac with this driver.

This version also has compatibility fixes for the upcoming Mac OS 10.8.5 and OS 10.10 Yosemite.

Please test this version whether or not you have CUDA, and on any version of OS X.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
--Charlie

jgillett
09-03-14, 06:17 PM
Thanks VERY much for posting this info. Have updated to 7.4.19 and 6.5.14. It's running and requesting cuda apps (wasn't before), the error message in the log about no cuda hardware is now gone, but it appears the server cupboard is bare in that dept. Am running the setiathome_x41zc_x86_64-apple-darwin_cuda55 that I got from Crunchers. Any problem with that?

Thanks!

zombie67
09-03-14, 08:13 PM
Try running seti beta, with no app_info and see if that works. If so, then you will know the issue is with the opt app or not.

jgillett
09-03-14, 09:50 PM
With app_info removed the only thing it's running is v7 7.00. Previously it was running just v7 7.05. It's still requesting cuda stuff, but not getting any.

Since the start of Yosemite and the cuda loss my average has dropped from ~26,000 to less than 8,000 on the stats page. Disappointing.

Thanks.

zombie67
09-04-14, 12:14 AM
Are you sure you are on the beta project? The standard project doesn't have an OSX/cuda app.

jgillett
09-04-14, 01:51 AM
Used the link from a few messages back - http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7...acOSX_i686.zip (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_7.4.19_macOSX_i686.zip). Don't see anything that specifically says this is a beta, but it is 7.4.19.

It finally started pulling cuda WUs with the app_info removed, but apparently didn't know how to run them...

Put back the original app_info and restarted. Now it's running only v7 7.00 instead of the v7 7.05 it was previously, and is no longer pulling in cudas. Weird.

Thanks.

zombie67
09-04-14, 08:52 AM
Ah. Let me be more clear. I am talking about beta project, not beta application. There are two seti projects:

SETI@home: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu
SETI@home Beta: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/beta/

Only the beta project has native applications for OSX/nVidia. Try running BOINC on the beta project, without installing any optimized apps.

jgillett
09-04-14, 02:13 PM
OK - that helped a lot (really).

Joined the beta group and added it to BOINC projects. It immediately pulled 4 AP v7 7.03 on to the GPU and - it's running (well - only one is running)!

Also noticed app_info had disappeared from the seti project so put that back and it's now back to running v7 7.05 units.

As usual no app_info was generated for the beta project. Any suggestions on what that should look like? Can the same one from the non-beta project be used (suspect not)? Would like to think there's more than just an AP unit out there.

Thank you!

zombie67
09-04-14, 03:35 PM
They do not want you using optimized apps on the beta project. The idea is to test out the stock apps. But if your GPU is not under full load, you can always use an app_config.xml to run more than one stock GPU task at a time.

jgillett
09-10-14, 10:16 PM
Got it to run 2 cuda WUs from the beta (fudged up an app_config.xml) and 2 non-cuda from the 'normal' SETI. No problems at all with the beta WUs, but the others still get upset...

Am sure my app_info for the regular stuff is messed up, but no idea where. In just a few days the beta stats have surpassed the regular stats - beta 10,000 and rising, regular less than 7,000 and falling (average there used to be ~26,000!).

Giving up...

zombie67
09-11-14, 12:15 AM
Which part are you giving up on? If it works on the beta project, then run it there. Both projects help the effort. If that's your goal. If you are only interested in credits on the main project, then let's work on it.

jgillett
09-11-14, 01:53 AM
As mentioned, both projects are running. Just very disappointed at the huge drop in credits on the main project, not for the credits themselves, but for the project. Been crunching SETI since May of '99. I believe finding something (not me finding something) is important or I wouldn't have been doing this almost literally since Day 1.

That said, yes I'd like to get it fixed. How would you like to handle that, and would it be better if we took it off-line?

Thanks.