PDA

View Full Version : old school amd athlon 750mhz slot a build

dave c
08-14-14, 05:06 PM
yeah thats right im bringing one of these back from the dead
cpu is an amd-k7750mtr52b slot a cpu
http://cdn.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/L_AMD-AMD-K7750MTR52B%20A%20(ES)%20(AMD%20K7%20logo)%20(fron t).jpg
mb is is a first international sd11
1x agp slot
5x pci
1x isa
http://www.baber.com/baber/gifs/411gifs/fic_sd11.jpg
i think i have 512mb of ram for it if all the sticks are still good.
not sure what im actually going to use it for , maybe a file server/media server for the home network, maybe ill throw some asiscs on it, or load it up with the pci gt430's i have.
prolly really not worth putting together but im pretty much stuck in bed/the house and going out of my mind

not sure what os im going to throw on it yet but it will probably be some for of nix*

dave c
08-14-14, 05:18 PM
how do u guys think ubuntuu would run on this?

Maxwell
08-14-14, 05:29 PM
If you're going to rock the 430s, make sure you pick a low RAM GPU project. The processor is going to have a hard enough time keeping those GPUs fed. And I'd try to run a distro with minimal overhead, but I have no idea which one that would be...

dave c
08-14-14, 06:04 PM
If you're going to rock the 430s, make sure you pick a low RAM GPU project. The processor is going to have a hard enough time keeping those GPUs fed. And I'd try to run a distro with minimal overhead, but I have no idea which one that would be...

ive got a few distros in mind but if i do want to run bionic im sure they would be missing alot of the libraries needed, for now i may just throw xp on it for simplicity

dave c
08-14-14, 11:38 PM
crap the only pc case i have left wont fit the athlon mobo, so now i to figure something else out
lol might be time to break out the plasma cutter and welder

Fire$torm
08-17-14, 03:58 AM
crap the only pc case i have left wont fit the athlon mobo, so now i to figure something else out
lol might be time to break out the plasma cutter and welder

Damn dude, wish I had access to your tools. The mods I could do..... :-B 8->

dave c
08-17-14, 01:38 PM
Damn dude, wish I had access to your tools. The mods I could do..... :-B 8->

lol meh u just need a dremel with a cutoff wheel and some jb weld.
on the other hand ive figured out how to make the mobo fit in the dell case, going to remove the floppy drive trays , and mount the psu oon the bottom front of the case,only down side is havent been feeling good enough to actually get any work done.
though i really should install the fan controller in my fx machine before i worry about putting the athlon mahchine together , then maybe it wont sound like a jet engine at takeoff anymore

Sarge104
08-18-14, 03:03 PM
lol meh u just need a dremel with a cutoff wheel and some jb weld.
on the other hand ive figured out how to make the mobo fit in the dell case, going to remove the floppy drive trays , and mount the psu oon the bottom front of the case,only down side is havent been feeling good enough to actually get any work done.
though i really should install the fan controller in my fx machine before i worry about putting the athlon mahchine together , then maybe it wont sound like a jet engine at takeoff anymore

Why bother with a case? Just slap it on something non-flammable and put a box fan by it, efficient air flow, with adjustable cfm (Low/med/hi)! If you are worried about the animals or small children getting zapped just put a cloths basket over it ;)

Al
08-18-14, 03:14 PM
Why bother with a case? Just slap it on something non-flammable and put a box fan by it, efficient air flow, with adjustable cfm (Low/med/hi)! If you are worried about the animals or small children getting zapped just put a cloths basket over it ;)
I have 3 of my rigs using offshoots of Sarge's caseless design.

dave c
08-18-14, 03:36 PM
thats actually not a bad idea , i just need to find some free table space to do it , though i guess the floor would work if i put a piece of plywood or something down over the carpet.
on the other hand my cat will deffinatly want to explore the new playground that has apeared on the floor lmao

Maxwell
08-18-14, 04:35 PM
thats actually not a bad idea , i just need to find some free table space to do it , though i guess the floor would work if i put a piece of plywood or something down over the carpet.
on the other hand my cat will deffinatly want to explore the new playground that has apeared on the floor lmao
Mount it on some plywood, then put it up on a wall and call it art. Avant garde or something. =))

Sarge104
08-18-14, 06:12 PM

I was kidding but if you do try something of the type I would suggest some furnace filters put around to keep the cat hair off of the components. I've lost some UPS's and nearly burned the house down due to the cat loving the static feel or something...:(

Slicker
08-19-14, 05:15 PM
Plywood screwed to a PVC frame with a couple T connectors for a base so you can run it upright should work if the GPUs will remain seated.

dave c
08-19-14, 05:34 PM
im pretty sure the cpu can keep 2 gt430's fed what do u think about it feeding 4?

Maxwell
08-19-14, 07:29 PM
im pretty sure the cpu can keep 2 gt430's fed what do u think about it feeding 4?
I think that would depend on the project. If you put those on PG's PPS Sieve CUDA app, it would be a bit tight, but I think the CPU could feed 4. If you went Einstein or Poem, you'd have a really hard time even feeding two. Not sure about the other projects...

dave c
08-20-14, 12:33 AM
I think that would depend on the project. If you put those on PG's PPS Sieve CUDA app, it would be a bit tight, but I think the CPU could feed 4. If you went Einstein or Poem, you'd have a really hard time even feeding two. Not sure about the other projects...

i got the athlon up but seems i only have 256mb of ram thats any good so it wont really be of any use to me for any purpose except maybe an web/ftp server on my home network for sharing media files across my home network , so im going to put the dell back up instead with the core duo processor installed, i have 2 brand new 1gb sticks of ram for that

Mumps
08-20-14, 06:31 AM
What kind of RAM would go with that Athlon?

dave c
08-20-14, 06:52 AM
What kind of RAM would go with that Athlon?
pc100/133