PDA

View Full Version : The first computers. (Women will like this one)

Crazybob
02-08-11, 03:16 PM
An interesting article about women who were rounded up during WWII and asked to do distributed computing without computers. They were figuring out trajectories for mortars and such by hand.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/08/women.rosies.math/index.html?hpt=C2

DrPop
02-08-11, 06:14 PM
That is an awesome article. Very few in our country could to calculus with respect to time in three different vectors...sans a calculator! ;)

c303a
02-09-11, 09:32 AM
That is an awesome article. Very few in our country could to calculus with respect to time in three different vectors...sans a calculator! ;)

High school kids today can't do simple math without a calculator. Have a grandkid who is a freshman and she had to get a scientific calculator for her math classes. They rely on them for everything from simple math to the higher stuff. I'm glad that her parents make her do a lot of her homework without the calculator.

denim
02-10-11, 11:06 AM
When I was first government, my initial office was upstairs from the room that used to hold the ENIAC. :)

Fire$torm
02-10-11, 12:13 PM
When I was first government, my initial office was upstairs from the room that used to hold the ENIAC. :)

:cool::cool::cool: