PDA

View Full Version : some advise please

shiva
10-02-14, 02:54 PM
I would like some of your thoughts on this problem before I start spending money. I have finally found the time to work on a machine that went down during a rain/lighting storm. Every time I try to start it will blue screen. It is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H mb with a I-7 4770 processor. I had 4 4gig ram sticks in it. I have tried 2 different hd's. I have tried different combinations or the ram, I have tried different video cards, and everything blue screens. I'm down to thinking it is the mb or the processor. I'm not sure where to go from here. I have also tried to boot it from the cd same thing big Blue. Remember you are talking to a computer dummy so keep it simple. :)
Thanks

Bryan
10-02-14, 03:04 PM
Just out of curiosity and since it happened during an electrical storm, have you tried replacing the PSU?

Maxwell
10-02-14, 03:07 PM
What is the blue screen message you're receiving? That may help with some diagnostics...

Can you boot into safe mode? (This is Windows, I'm assuming)

Another thought I would have would be to pull the HD and start it up. If you have onboard video, pull the video card, as well as any other peripherals. Assuming you get to the post screen with everything appearing normal, I'd be a bit disinclined to think it was the CPU/Mobo.

EDIT: +1 to what Bryan said.

shiva
10-02-14, 03:59 PM
no to the psu but I will test it, no to everything you ask about Maxwell, no on board video and it will not boot at all it starts to load windows then freezes before it is loaded then blue screen. I didn't copy down what the message was and I have took it apart and been looking for a burn on anything, so far not and burn spots I can find. I will get it back together and post the blue screen messages.
psu tests ok except for the -5v leg. which I understand is needed for some mb but not others. will try a different one

John P. Myers
10-02-14, 05:12 PM
Since it makes it to windows it's probably not the mobo

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

shiva
10-02-14, 05:42 PM
well it makes to start windows but it never gets to where windows is open
put a different psu in and no change

c303a
10-02-14, 05:58 PM
Since it starts to boot to windows then blue screens, I would try to boot into safe mode or try to boot from the cd and try to do a windows repair. After post and before it starts to load windows press f8 to boot into safe mode.

shiva
10-02-14, 06:19 PM
message on the blue screen

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

An attempt was made to execute to non-executable memory.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps.
check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in this stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacture for a driver update. Try changing the video adaptor.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

technical information
(0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, (x0000000000000000)

I did try to start in safe mode and got this message before safe mode was started.
I don't understand the rest of this or how to do any of it.
I have tried to boot from a DVD.

John P. Myers
10-03-14, 04:36 AM
Hmmm...well that could be the motherboard's RAM slots. Could be the RAM. Could be a corrupted windows install/failing hard drive or corrupted drivers.

While your computer is booting, hit the F8 key a few times until you get to the screen where you can start safe mode, but don't. Scroll to the bottom and run the memory test. Let us know what happens.

Also to see if it's the RAM or one of the RAM slots on the motherboard, remove all of it except 1 stick. Try to boot. If it fails, move that 1 stick to another RAM slot. Try to boot again. If it fails, remove that 1 stick of RAM and replace with another 1 stick of RAM in the same slot. Boot. If it fails again, move that stick to another RAM slot and boot again. Hopefully windows will load at least once during all that :p

Cruncher Pete
10-03-14, 08:06 AM
I live in an area where there are frequent unannounced storms and have been caught out like you. Even though I have a surge protector I found that the surge in the area is greater than the protector can handle and if you are lucky you will only suffer some software issues. When every other test appear to pass the inspection than use your spare HD and reinstall your Operating system as I found that is the quickest way of fixing software errors.

Good luck.

nanoprobe
10-04-14, 07:18 PM
Download and run memtest (http://memtest86.com/download.htm#free) Borked memory does all kinds of weird stuff. I use the ISO version and boot with the CD. If your mobo has multiple DRAM slots I would recommend testing them all too. Good luck.

shiva
10-06-14, 01:29 PM
ok guys sorry but I was gone for the weekend. I can not load memtest because I can't get it online. I can get to safemode and test mem that way. I should have a new hd today and will be able to try that when I get it. I will get back with results when I get them