PDA

View Full Version : BitCoin Utopia: BOINC 7.4.22 is now recommended for asic users

RSS
10-07-14, 04:46 AM
With the last server software update and all the new changes on the system you need to update to BOINC 7.4.22 to get work. If you dont get work after update try to reattach to the project. This only affecting users with asic apps, if you still running a BOINC version older than 7.4.12 you dont need to update. The work request bug with GPUs is reported and will be fixed soon until we can get it.

-Reb

More... (http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_thread.php?id=526)

E-30
10-07-14, 07:01 AM
I notice that last night had to up date boinc

E-30
10-08-14, 02:01 PM
All good now got the bfl 60 up and running now

Bryan
10-08-14, 02:36 PM
Good deal

nanoprobe
10-08-14, 03:13 PM
For some reason app_config files no longer work for me with this latest version of BOINC. I tried to run some GPU tasks after updating. The event log shows that an app_config is seen but the parameters in the file are ignored. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Have the same issue on a second machined so it must be the new version. Makes no sense to me why they did this.

Maxwell
10-08-14, 06:44 PM
For some reason app_config files no longer work for me with this latest version of BOINC. I tried to run some GPU tasks after updating. The event log shows that an app_config is seen but the parameters in the file are ignored. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Have the same issue on a second machined so it must be the new version. Makes no sense to me why they did this.
Have you quit, and then restarted BOINC? I know the earlier beta version was having some problems reading config files while the client was running...

myshortpencil
10-08-14, 09:09 PM

If you have an app_config command: <plan_class>asic</plan_class>, this may no longer be valid.

If not, change it to: <plan_class>miner_asic</plan_class>.

I've noticed that plan_class asic is required for rockminers. Plan_class miner_asic is required for U2s.

nanoprobe
10-08-14, 09:17 PM
Have you quit, and then restarted BOINC? I know the earlier beta version was having some problems reading config files while the client was running...
Yes. Restart had no effect.

If you have an app_config command: <plan_class>asic</plan_class>, this may no longer be valid.

If not, change it to: <plan_class>miner_asic</plan_class>.

I've noticed that plan_class asic is required for rockminers. Plan_class miner_asic is required for U2s.

Talking about GPUs not Asics.

E-30
10-09-14, 07:43 AM
I had no problem getting work for gpu 2 days ago

nanoprobe
10-09-14, 09:21 AM
I had no problem getting work for gpu 2 days ago
Getting plenty of work. The problem is that app_config file no longer allows me to control the amount of simultaneous GPU tassks to run on each GPU or the amount of CPUs to assign to each GPU task. App_config file is recognized. Parameters set in file are ignored.

myshortpencil
10-09-14, 11:20 AM
Try posting the problem in the Bitcoin Utopia forum (http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoinutopia/forum_forum.php?id=3).

Maxwell
10-09-14, 11:53 AM
Getting plenty of work. The problem is that app_config file no longer allows me to control the amount of simultaneous GPU tassks to run on each GPU or the amount of CPUs to assign to each GPU task. App_config file is recognized. Parameters set in file are ignored.
Can you post your project settings and app_config file? We might see something... If everything looks good, it's likely a project issue they'll have to solve.

nanoprobe
10-09-14, 04:19 PM
Project is E@H. Project settings are to run Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Arecibo, GPU) and Binary Radio Pulsar Search (Perseus Arm Survey) tasks only. This is a 4 card ATI 270X machine with an i7-3770K. App_config is set to run 2 tasks per card with 1 CPU thread per task.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>einsteinbinary_BRP4G</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>1</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
<app>
<name>einsteinbinary_BRP5</name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>.5</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>1</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

What actually runs is 4 tasks with .5 CPU threads per task. Fortunately E@H allows you to run more that 1 task per GPU from their project preferences so now I'm actually running 8 GPU tasks with .5 CPU threads per task.

I downgraded to BOINC version 7.2.42 on 1 box to test and the app_config worked fine. Version 7.4.22 is the problem IMHO.

Maxwell
10-09-14, 04:32 PM
I downgraded to BOINC version 7.2.42 on 1 box to test and the app_config worked fine. Version 7.4.22 is the problem IMHO.
I think you're right that 7.4.22 is the problem. Might be a bug that needs to be reported to the developers, but I'm not sure where to do that.

Stupid question - are you allowing any CPU crunching from any project? If not, then you'll have the full 8 threads available to the WUs, regardless of how much CPU the BOINC client thinks it needs.

nanoprobe
10-09-14, 05:29 PM
I think you're right that 7.4.22 is the problem. Might be a bug that needs to be reported to the developers, but I'm not sure where to do that.

Stupid question - are you allowing any CPU crunching from any project? If not, then you'll have the full 8 threads available to the WUs, regardless of how much CPU the BOINC client thinks it needs.

Not running any CPU only tasks ATM. Asked at the BOINC message boards. After last reply there I'll just stick with 7.2.42 for GPU stuff.