PDA

View Full Version : and this is why I dont crunch 24/7...

Dorsilfin
02-11-11, 12:49 PM
cause when I do for 2 months, my next electric bill goes from my average of 100 bucks for 2 months, to over 300 dollars.. Yup, I burned 1746 KW over the past 2 months.. at NY's average rate of about 18 cents a KW works out to just over 300 bucks.

Add in me kicking the girlfriend out.. theres goes my little extra cash per month.

Beast 1.0(8800gts) and Beast 2.0 (570's) are hereby.. shutdown except when im using them =o

figure 6 bills a year.. at 200 bucks of crunching usage in electric.. theres 1200 dollars a year .. sadly thats a good chunk of money i can easily avoid spending.

how are you electric bills? haha =)

DrPop
02-11-11, 01:00 PM
Umm...yeah. We don't talk about that around here. :D :((
Actually, I shouldn't complain, for the credits I've gotten this past year, the ATI HD 5870 & 5850 seemed to do pretty well on the energy consumption. Not that it's cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's relative to the WUs crunched. Or at least that's what I keep trying to tell the rational side of my brain. :p

Aux10
02-11-11, 01:20 PM
I don't mean to brag or anything but I don't pay the electric bill. :cool:

trigggl
02-11-11, 01:37 PM
Three computers running 24/7 = $135 per month on budget billing. Of course they're all low power.

Crazybob
02-11-11, 02:02 PM
Wife doesn't show me the bill and frankly I don't want to see it.

Maxwell
02-11-11, 02:30 PM
Hehe... autopay, and don't look at the bill. Ignorance is, in fact, bliss...

Sorry about the bill, though!

Beerdrinker
02-11-11, 02:50 PM
I haven“t got a clue to what my little hobby costs. I pay around 1700-1800$ per year on electricity...But that includes all.

Fire$torm
02-11-11, 03:20 PM
Errr, mmmm, Whats an Electric Bill?

I thankfully do not have that "Issue" on my plate. Although I have been informed, indirectly of course, that my little Farm is restricted from acquiring any more..... acreage. :( But no one has said anything about vertical integration :)

Dorsilfin
02-11-11, 03:34 PM
I dont mind the bill.. I mean its a hobby afterall , ive spent tons of money on other things..

its just when your the home owner, and every expense incurred it directly because of you.. spending that kinda money year round for some computers is just plain silly for me =)

Ill be needing a new roof this year, since the ice/snow has wreaked havoc on my house.. While getting estimates ill be sure to get estimates about a full blown solar panel array too.. Figure if im going home equity i might as well go big and get something out of it. having an array to make that bill become a 0 most of the year, would go a long way for me running the machines that much :D

All in good time.. :ar!

Zytozux
02-11-11, 03:54 PM
Yep, my landlord pays the electric bill. :D /cackle

Dandasarge
02-11-11, 07:10 PM
I look at it this way the heat the computers make in the winter is less i got to pay for the heat. computers are a 2 for one.

Bryan
02-12-11, 01:08 AM
Hehe... autopay, and don't look at the bill. Ignorance is, in fact, bliss...

Ditto, I do the same!

vaio
02-12-11, 04:37 PM
£350 per month

£4000 per annum and rising fast! (40% of my income :(() hence imminint crunching retirement :((

Maxwell
02-12-11, 04:50 PM
£350 per month

£4000 per annum and rising fast! (40% of my income :(() hence imminint crunching retirement :((
Dear god that's a crap ton of money. Good luck, sir...

Mike029
02-12-11, 04:57 PM
Dear god that's a crap ton of money. Good luck, sir...
OMG Looks like NY prices.

zombie67
02-12-11, 09:30 PM
OMG Looks like NY prices.

I would *love* to have even those rates!

Ricky Moore
02-15-11, 08:05 AM
This is why my D820 only runs during races. On my income (which thanks to Uncle Sam is now $30 less) I am on more or less a "fixed" income. This why most of the time my laptops are doing all the work.

My Bill however is nothing compare to some of you that may wish to trade! NORMALLY I pay about $50 - $60 per month. However this past Dec and Jan I paid over $110 in order to keep my water pump from freezing up. In the long run I think I came out cheaper because I don't have to put out for a new Pump which would run between $300 to $400.

So I am down to my D820 and 5 Laptops (I sold the Dell 2200 to pay on a gas heating bill!)

Crazybob
02-15-11, 08:44 AM
Sounds like we need to get you a calf. Beef prices are high enough, you might be able to pay your electric from the profits. You could cut your taxes by claiming your a farm and get the lawn mowed for free.:D

rgathright
02-15-11, 10:10 AM
I look at it this way the heat the computers make in the winter is less i got to pay for the heat. computers are a 2 for one.

:-bd I did the same thing all winter here in Louisiana! Keep my garage and back portion of my home warm and toasty with electrons flying through the air. :D

Aux10
02-15-11, 10:17 AM
I sold the Dell 2200 to pay on a gas heating bill!

I'd like us to observe a moment of silence to remember this poor cruncher on the sacrifice it made to let his leader stay afloat and let his little lappy friends keep crunching. You will be missed my dear cruncher, you shall be remembered as a hero. :-s

Dandasarge
02-15-11, 10:17 AM
:-bd I did the same thing all winter here in Louisiana! Keep my garage and back portion of my home warm and toasty with electrons flying through the air. :D

Mine vents to behind my bed. Pillows are aways warm, yes the sound of loud fans is a little annoying but sometimes having free white noise is nice to block out other things.

denim
02-15-11, 10:47 AM
If I could have a large solar panel or windmill, it would be perfect. But the HOA's won't allow it. :rolleyes:

Dandasarge
02-15-11, 11:28 AM
If I could have a large solar panel or windmill, it would be perfect. But the HOA's won't allow it. :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it’s Illegal not to allow it these days. Cali even has a right to light law that your neighbor have to cut down there trees if it blocks your panels. Most have to go to court. Why people ever move to these places I’ll never know.

Not living in a HOA literally could save you tens of thousands of dollars. Me not to offend anyone ( prob will) HOA’s are just another union, something no one needs. Just about every city these days has more then enough laws to denture the guys with a yard full of cars. I personally have more cars then yard but nearly as many as some so we got to getter and now have garage/ workshop in an industrial area where that kind of activity is ok.

This is really just a plea to get people out of HOA’s before you forget how to stand up for yourself. You can’t forever have people telling you when to mow your lawn, what color to paint your house, or what to put on your roof. It’s against all that his American. Except the part where rich people found away to tax people for telling them what the outside of a house should look.

Which States are Protected from HOAs?

These laws, established in 2009 in Delaware, Maine, Vermont and Washington, and in 2008 in Maryland, North Carolina (SB 670 and HB 1387), and Virginia, followed in the footsteps of California’s Solar Right Act of 1978 (which was extended, as was Oregon’s 1979 law).

Solar Rights, or Solar Access, laws also prevail in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. While in Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Utah, state-mandated guidelines offer homeowners varied leeway in installing solar panels.

rgathright
02-15-11, 12:38 PM

I have an AMD x4 running on Solar... in the garage. Problem with solar is that you need large batteries to keep the computer running at night or on cloudy days. I can only handle 200 watts of power for about 24 hours right now. Anymore power draw and the batteries run out of juice. 138

Crazybob
02-15-11, 01:29 PM
I have an AMD x4 running on Solar... in the garage. Problem with solar is that you need large batteries to keep the computer running at night or on cloudy days. I can only handle 200 watts of power for about 24 hours right now. Anymore power draw and the batteries run out of juice. 138

How much did the panel cost you and what do you do if there is a chance of hail?

rgathright
02-15-11, 03:35 PM
How much did the panel cost you and what do you do if there is a chance of hail?

You are looking at 460 watts of solar panels and they cost $1300+ with an additional $200 for shipping. They have thick glass plates which resisted a hail storm this winter already. The concrete slab and steel beams cost an additional $400 just for me to pour and install!

The solar array is my back up generator over here in hurricane country.

Here are photos of the construction. The solar array will become my new fence line to prevent damage during a hurricane.142143

Dandasarge
02-15-11, 07:49 PM
You are looking at 460 watts of solar panels and they cost $1300+ with an additional $200 for shipping. They have thick glass plates which resisted a hail storm this winter already. The concrete slab and steel beams cost an additional $400 just for me to pour and install!

The solar array is my back up generator over here in hurricane country.

Here are photos of the construction. The solar array will become my new fence line to prevent damage during a hurricane.142143

Pretty neet, lot of dang money though