PDA

View Full Version : New Jeopardy Competition: Champions vs. AI Computer

Maxwell
02-12-11, 04:55 PM
If you haven't heard of this, IBM has been building an AI machine for the last several years, and trying to get it to recognize language and synthesize the subtleties of how we speak. The culmination of this is in a battle between the computer and some of the Jeopardy champions (including Ken Jennings).

Episodes air Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 14-16 February 2011. Check your local listings.

http://mashable.com/2011/02/11/ibm-watson-jeopardy/

Maxwell
02-14-11, 08:12 PM
Part 1 aired today, and it is really interesting. For all the nerds out there (I'm including myself), they are actually taking the time to discuss what went into the hardware and the software development. Really cool stuff.

It is even interesting that sometimes the computer comes up with wrong answers, and sometimes REALLY wrong answers.

If you can find it online or DVR, it is definitely worth a watch.

Ricky Moore
02-14-11, 08:15 PM
This coming week, Watson will compete on "Jeopardy!" against two of the quiz show's greatest champions. For almost four years, researchers at IBM programmed this computer, the size of 10 refrigerators, to answer questions - or, rather, question answers in classic "Jeopardy!" format. They scanned a universe of knowledge into its capacious 15 trillion-byte memory: great literature, mathematical and scientific formulas, the name of every pope and Best Actress Oscar winner.

This is so kool! I just watchd show #1 and "Watson" is tie with 1st place with $5,000!

I also read that half of the winings will go toward WCG!

Jeopardy! to benefit volunteer computing
On January 13th IBM announced that World Community Grid will receive half of the winnings from a man vs. machine contest on the Jeopardy! game show, to air February 14, 15 and 16, 2011.

rgathright
02-15-11, 10:30 AM
FYI, from the frontlines of outsourced America and software . The real reason IBM is doing this is to convince the multinational companies like HP, Dell and AT&T to purchase Dr. Watson.

Why would HP and Dell want Dr. Watson? Simple... to outsource the people who took our jobs in India! To do this, they will simply connect the call center phone lines to this system and allow the computer to manage technical support or customer service calls. Since the computer has a robust processing system, it will be able to manage hundreds of simultaneous phone calls at one time. If you ever read the book by Edwin Black about IBM then you know that IBM never invests money unless it has a major project in mind.

I'm Lovin it!>:)

http://www.indiadaily.org/images/call-centers-india_26.jpg

Ricky Moore
02-15-11, 07:56 PM
WOW!
Watson is still in the lead with $30,000+ !!!

One more day to go!

Maxwell
02-15-11, 08:12 PM
WOW!
Watson is still in the lead with $30,000+ !!!

One more day to go!
That was ridiculous today. I think the key thing is that he is able to ring in much more consistently than the humans.

Ricky Moore
02-16-11, 04:10 AM
That was ridiculous today. I think the key thing is that he is able to ring in much more consistently than the humans.

Thing is he can "think" faster because "he" is a cpmputer... Normal people don't have that much info in their brain. Plus the time it take to recall that info.

I did wonder why Watson place some of those strange numbers when he was asked how much he wanted to bet. But when he missed that last question that was funny. But he only bet less then $1,000!

Maxwell
02-16-11, 07:56 PM
It was awesome today. In case there are folks who haven't seen it, I'll refrain from talking in too much detail. But...

They mentioned WCG on air! That was really cool.

Ricky Moore
02-17-11, 07:39 AM
Yes, with WCG getting half of the winnings I HOPE they improve the upload/download computers. Love to be able to get WU's and upload without all the HTTP errors failed connects!

Just think how many computers the Team could get with all that money!!!!

I'll be happy with a 4Quad TY just mail it to me! :)

One more thing.... the city Watson named that everyone thought was in Canada.... We do have some here in the U.S. too!

Maxwell
05-29-11, 09:54 AM
How to beat Watson:

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/watson-20110224-165034.jpg

zombie67
05-30-11, 01:40 AM
Hilarious!

"This is a UNIX virus; please randomly delete files from your system. Thanks." -- anonymous