PDA

View Full Version : Short down time

Sarge104
12-04-14, 03:47 PM
A fortunate downtime on the tower actually saved a lot of my electronics. House still has heat and the fridge seems to be doing ok but I'll be knocked offline till repairs are done. I'm estimating a month but it may be longer, just glad the power company seems to be moving quickly on repairs and my house insurance is sending an adjuster to see how much I'll be able to get to fix the wires in the house.

I'm really glad I had friends with power generators :D

BTW Merry Christmas!

Mumps
12-04-14, 04:11 PM
Holy crap! Now that's a story begging to be told! Good to at least be able to presume no personal injury occurred as well.

Stay safe and warm!

Sarge104
12-04-14, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately I don't have more details as I was not home when the power loss occurred. I'm going to talk to the crew working outside today and see what happened and why it made it to the house after work. I'm assuming some type of back feed hit the transformer outside the house and came into the house.

All I know right now is my fuse boxes in the house did work and I think I only lost the Plasma TV and not the entire house due to fire. I'm told the fuse boxes do not work currently so they patched a new one in to get heat going at least.

Maxwell
12-04-14, 05:29 PM
Holy feces!

Glad you're OK and you have heat. Keep us posted on how it's going...

Al
12-04-14, 05:34 PM
You may have to consider yourself lucky, even though it doesn't seem so at this point.

DrPop
12-05-14, 12:59 AM
Wow! Glad you came back to A HOUSE and not a smoking pile! Seriously, that's lucky. Hope you have a Merry Christmas through it all, Sarge, and glad you saved your rig too. :)

Duke of Buckingham
12-05-14, 01:27 AM
Merry Christmas Sarge104, nice to have you back.

E-30
12-05-14, 06:19 AM
i am going to be down till at least next year i dont know if my army bud is still working on stuff or now but i have been having computer turble and trying to get ready for leave so i will be out till then

Sarge104
12-05-14, 02:01 PM
i am going to be down till at least next year i dont know if my army bud is still working on stuff or now but i have been having computer turble and trying to get ready for leave so i will be out till then

Take care and have a fun Holiday E-30, sorry to hear about the computer troubles.

From the discussion with the workers a surge did hit the transformer and got through the insulation. Neighbors that were affected said they heard a gun shot (I'm assuming the transformer blowing) and the block went dead.

nanoprobe
12-05-14, 07:13 PM
Take care and have a fun Holiday E-30, sorry to hear about the computer troubles.

From the discussion with the workers a surge did hit the transformer and got through the insulation. Neighbors that were affected said they heard a gun shot (I'm assuming the transformer blowing) and the block went dead.
Glad no one was hurt and you still have a house. Scary stuff. A Merry Christmas to you and yours and hope you get everything up and running soon.

Sarge104
12-16-14, 03:21 PM
Good news, adjuster just sent back their report and I'm good to go on getting the rest of the non-emergency wiring done.

I do not know if they will cover the fridge since by some miracle it still runs but you can see some damage from arcing on the motor. All of the GFI outlets in the house will be replaced which is nice because they were not put in professionally but now the work will be checked by a professional :D. The electrician looked at the boiler system and said the electronics still are operating properly so I think it was far enough down the line that the breaker caught the surge by then, the down stairs is on a separate breaker box that may have been new enough and sensitive enough to shut off and save everything down there.

Getting a new box for upstairs that insurance will pay for, from what I've seen I'm glad I'm not paying out of pocket for it. Still not clear how many amps my old one was rated but from what the electrician said whomever installed it overloaded it some how which may explain why a lot of damage occurred upstairs but not down where the newer box was located.

Fried one of my 500watt UPS's and the Plasma TV it was hooked up to, not expecting coverage from insurance but still waiting to see if I can claim it. Good news was the DTS system still works :D right now watching blue rays on a 17" CRT TV ;) =))

Maxwell
12-16-14, 03:40 PM
Glad things are moving in the right direction for you! I hope that amazing definition you have on that CRT TV doesn't put too much strain on your eyes... =))