PDA

View Full Version : Bring out the regrets

Clank [MM]
12-10-14, 01:35 AM
So give this some thought. What is the project that you carry the most regrets for? Whether it's gone or you never got an account before they shut the doors, whatever the reason. I have a few but I never got into Chess960. I waited too long and could never find a way after they stopped accepting new accounts. I also regret quitting for awhile. I flat out missed some projects that I think would have made my MM stats stronger. During that sabbatical I lost 3 top 10's that I can't get back. Project's shut down and for me those were hard to come by. So cough up everyone......

Bryan
12-10-14, 02:20 AM
Before I was interested in MMs and at that time I had pretty good GPU horsepower, I left DNETC at 447M and moved to Moo and added 341M there only because the admin was much nicer to the crunchers. I also abandoned DirT at 400M. I'd love to have the chance to get both to 500M but it isn't gonna happen. :D

Another one along those lines was Androic. It paid really good CPU credits and I got it to 250k. They were saying they were going to have a GPU app so I figured why use CPUs when I had 13 GPUs running :D Of course they cancelled the project before they came out with the GPU app.

shiva
12-10-14, 09:44 AM
Well not much really but not getting ABC to 5 mil and not getting simap to 5 mil. I know I could have gotten some help and may have been able to get simap up to 5 mil before it is over, but I have never ask for any help on any project, it has always been do it myself or don't do it. I just can't break that rule now. Would have been nice to have gotten spinhenge to a mil and Donate to 250 mil.

Duke of Buckingham
12-10-14, 11:05 AM
“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”

Fulton Oursler

FourOh
12-10-14, 11:43 AM
Docking... I hesitated to jump into the final foray and missed 1M by less than 50k, falling short on getting into the top 1000 as well. I even had some help, but I was about two days short on production. :((

zombie67
12-10-14, 01:30 PM
Depspid: First non-CPU project, I think. Made it to only 45k.
RieselSieve: Only 446k by the time it got shut down. I could have made the 500k MM had I tried harder, had I known.
Orbit: 329k. Maybe it will come back someday.

Maxwell
12-10-14, 02:39 PM
1. MilestoneRSA. I had 95,313 credits with ~8k in pending, so I pulled off. Then it just up and died.
2. Chess. Couldn't attach.
3. Aqua. Only crunched it to 1M, and now I'm kicking myself because I could have pushed it so much higher really quickly.
4. WUProp. I'm really annoyed I didn't discover and get into the WUProp hours when they first came out. So much fun, and I missed on so much stuff...

cineon_lut
12-10-14, 07:08 PM
eOn, made it to 49,163 hours--just shy of cyan status on Wuprop. Figured we had a good #1 spot in FB earlier last year. Think I'd have left one box on there to hit 50K hours? Nope, that would have made too much sense. :mad:

then they pulled the plug

Maxwell
12-10-14, 07:24 PM
Not a huge regret, but something that was both hilarious and frustrating:

Bryan was helping me try and push Campaign #6 on BU up to 25M (silver badge). We fell 1 WU short, finishing at 24,993,750.

Bok
12-11-14, 08:00 AM
Physics@home. Had enough finished on my machines to take it to 100k when the project went down for good :(

biggest regrets though are that I never crunched some early projects at all like seasonal attribution.

zombie67
12-11-14, 09:38 AM
biggest regrets though are that I never crunched some early projects at all like seasonal attribution.

Yeah, that was a tough one. I also did not join until late in the game. But when they announced the ending, I went after it HARD. Well, what was hard for me at the time. Got my 250k MM, which was my goal at the time, and 2nd on the team behind Tank_Master who was my "Ralfy" at the time. So that one goes on my "satisfaction" column.

STE\/E
12-12-14, 06:31 AM
Not a huge regret, but something that was both hilarious and frustrating:

Bryan was helping me try and push Campaign #6 on BU up to 25M (silver badge). We fell 1 WU short, finishing at 24,993,750.

I noticed that on your Account & thought man you were so close to getting it ... Personally I have no regrets on missing any MM, I don't have a Zillion Computers at my disposal like Mumps or somebody like that. I run out of my house as many of you know & there are so many Projects come & go & you only have so much time to run them that you can't worry about the one's you miss or don't get to a certain level. For quite awhile now I've pretty much just run the Badge Projects & if a new Project comes out I try to just run it to 100k like I always have & if I get any higher then I do. I don't worry about getting any higher because many Projects are just not worth the Electricity to run them ... IMO

Although I have accepted some help at very few Projects I'm pretty much in the opinion of Shiva too, I like to do it my self because I feel better about it. Right now I'm receiving a little help at SIMAP to try & get 5 Million but still don't think I'll make it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it if I don't because it was my choice to hit WCG hard because some of those Sub Projects were coming to a close & I'm still behind at WCG because a new Sub Project has come out that I haven't even run 1 Wu for yet. Like I said only so many Computers & so much Time, can't be every where at once ...