PDA

View Full Version : HDD missing 100G

Bryan
12-13-14, 05:13 PM
NEVER MIND -- I found it :D

I've never had a computer with 48G of memory before. It is reserving 96G for the PageFile. I doubt I will ever be swapping out to disc with that amount of memory =))

PROBLEM SOLVED
I got the new server, installed Win7 and all the updates, got BOINC and my other stuff installed, and then went to install Vbox. The new machine has a 250G drive and I noticed that I only had 120G remaining on the drive. Win7 takes up some disc space but 100G+ is ridiculous. So I assumed since this was a drive used in the server way back when that it might have had a partition that I didn't catch at installation. So I reinstalled Win7 making sure that I deleted the HDD partitions as part of the installation. It installed fine but I only had 130G remaining on the drive.

So I check the BIOS settings and everything looks fine. I take a brand spanking new 1TB drive and stick in it. After installation it has 833G left on the drive ... 100G is gone. I go into disk management and it shows 2 partitions as it should ... 100Mb for the OS and 900+ in the 2nd partitions. It also show only 833Mb available. I go in and check the properties of each root directory and they add up to about 25G. So where the heck is the 100G going to and what is on it?

I don't have a clue as to what is going on. Obviously 833G is probably enough to handle BOINC but I really want to know what is happening :D

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm guessing that somehow the Windows installation files and upgrade files (1Gb) are expanded on the disc and not getting erased. Since the Windows directory only shows 25Gb used I don't where to find them or how to get rid of them if that is the problem.

BTW, "disk cleanup" of the system update files bought 1G.

Maxwell
12-13-14, 05:41 PM
Do you have a Windows.old directory? If you do (probably won't apply to the new HDD), all the files from prior installations of Windows get held up in there. When I had tons of missing space on a drive that was where I found it a while back...

Bryan
12-13-14, 05:46 PM
Do you have a Windows.old directory? If you do (probably won't apply to the new HDD), all the files from prior installations of Windows get held up in there. When I had tons of missing space on a drive that was where I found it a while back...

nope :)

Duke of Buckingham
12-13-14, 05:49 PM
When I install any new OS, I close the windows and the doors for the bytes not to run away, good luck on that one Bryan.

Duke's Bad Jokes.

John P. Myers
12-13-14, 06:51 PM
Simple explanation: loldell

How much free space were on the drives after they were formatted, but before any OS installation?

Edit: Nevermind i see you figured it out. Grats :D

DrPop
12-13-14, 08:46 PM
You know how to delete that file, right? You *really* don't need it - follow these simple steps and get it back! ;) http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-delete-hibernation-file-hiberfil-sys/

Bryan
12-13-14, 09:45 PM
You know how to delete that file, right? You *really* don't need it - follow these simple steps and get it back! ;) http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-delete-hibernation-file-hiberfil-sys/

That is actually a different file. It is always the size of you memory - 48G and I was taking that into account. The 100G (actually 96G) that was missing is the swapfile or aka pagefile. It is a file on the HDD used as Virtual Memory. If a program exceeds the size of physical memory it will start using the HDD as virtual memory. It is slow as can be but it will keep the program from crashing :D

MindCrime
12-14-14, 01:46 AM
Slightly off topic; can I ask why you went with win 7 for a VM machine? I've honestly been slacking on my vm research but did do a little reading on Xen for linux, sounds complicated but I figure when the machine is in front of my I'll do what ever it takes to get it running. Maybe I should consider buying a t5500 with a windows license?

Bryan
12-14-14, 02:15 AM
Slightly off topic; can I ask why you went with win 7 for a VM machine? I've honestly been slacking on my vm research but did do a little reading on Xen for linux, sounds complicated but I figure when the machine is in front of my I'll do what ever it takes to get it running. Maybe I should consider buying a t5500 with a windows license?

It is actually a Win7 machine but I was getting ready to install Linux Mint inside of Virtual Box. That way I can run Linux when I need to do so. There are some projects that give higher credits on Linux than Windows (Edges/Sztaki) and some that are Linux only (Wanless/EON). I just happened to notice that a lot of the HDD was used while I was installing Virtual Box.

shiva
12-14-14, 09:41 AM
is there more than one Eon project? would it run on windows at one time? I have over a million credits on it but got them running windows??? http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=eon2&team=1 I don't remember seeing any work there for a while.

Al
12-14-14, 11:08 AM
Yes, it ran on windows, but was a lot, and I really mean a lot faster on linux.

cineon_lut
12-14-14, 05:01 PM
It is actually a Win7 machine but I was getting ready to install Linux Mint inside of Virtual Box. That way I can run Linux when I need to do so. There are some projects that give higher credits on Linux than Windows (Edges/Sztaki) and some that are Linux only (Wanless/EON). I just happened to notice that a lot of the HDD was used while I was installing Virtual Box.

Hey now, don't forget OS X can run those "Linus only" apps. :)

Vic (mobile)