PDA

View Full Version : What did *you* upgrade today?

Mumps
01-28-15, 10:11 PM
Well, finally got the electrician in. Seeing as my main breaker panel in the house was a 100AMP 20 position model that only had bus for 16 positions, I've been stuck running my home equipment on whatever shared circuits I could scrounge up. I didn't upgrade the service to the house, but did replace that panel with a 32 position breaker panel and immediately consumed 6 new positions. So the crunchers now have 2 dedicated 20 AMP 230Volt circuits feeding them, plus a new shared 20 AMP 115Volt for oddball things like the cable modem and speaker power bricks.

Once I finish re-installing the rest of the basement outlets, I'll get around to spinning up a few more home boxes. :)

Oh, so I guess my answer to the question I posed is "I upgraded my house!" :))

John P. Myers
01-28-15, 10:54 PM
I also have a 100A 20 position fuse box and was looking to upgrade to 200A or 225A 32 positions. How much work was it and how expensive was it?

DrPop
01-29-15, 12:52 AM
Wow. That's a serious upgrade. You just went up to commercial grade power. Do they have 3 phase to your neighborhood? ;) :D

Maxwell
01-29-15, 11:55 AM
Well, I upgraded our Netflix machine in the living room from what might be the crappiest "smart" DVD player ever manufactured to a Win7x64 i7-950.

Translation: I moved a computer to the living room.

That's the best I can say I upgraded this week...

Mumps
01-30-15, 02:57 PM
I also have a 100A 20 position fuse box and was looking to upgrade to 200A or 225A 32 positions. How much work was it and how expensive was it?

I still haven't received the bill for the electricians part. He did it as a side job and I provided all the materials. As soon as he tells me how much he wants for his 8 hours of labor, I'll post back here with a breakdown. Keep in mind mine did not include an upgrade to 200 AMP, so there will be a lot more involved with you going that route. Especially if your utility has to get involved in an upgrade of the facilities to the building.

Personally, I'd suggest you check first to make sure you truly need 200 AMP. With todays appliances and all being so much more energy efficient, you may be using a lot less than you think. For me, when the electrician used his clamp meter on the two hots, he only came up with about 13 AMPs consumed even with all the computer stuff I had running at that moment. (Although, I don't have central air, the furnace is gas and the stove, dryer and refrigerators were all probably not running at that moment either.) I can confirmed I've tripped multiple 20 AMP breakers here in my day, but never more than one at a time. :))

Mumps
01-30-15, 03:01 PM
Wow. That's a serious upgrade. You just went up to commercial grade power. Do they have 3 phase to your neighborhood? ;) :D

Well, it's not really 3-Phase, but residential service always includes two independent hots. So it works out to the same 230 Volt that is used for an electric dryer or stove, rather than the 240 volt you get by using two phases out of a 3-Phase 480Volt commercial source.

nanoprobe
01-30-15, 04:03 PM
Upgraded one more of my CyberPower UPS with an APC. This is the 3rd of 4. I will never own CyberPower junk again. They all failed within 6 months after the warranty ended. When I called them about repairs I was bluntly told they don't repair their own equipment. Unbelievable. My 5 year old APCs are still working like champs.

Mumps
01-30-15, 06:59 PM
And with APC's, you can walk into a BatteriesPlus and buy replacement batteries off the shelf for small change. Very easy to replace.

Bryan
01-30-15, 08:05 PM
I ran APCs for years and swear by them and as Mumps said you can get the batteries at Batteries Plus and they are relatively inexpensive. In fact, I bought 3 of my APCs at their store for a super price. They had come out with newer models and Batteries Plus had them on a 1/2 price sale.

John P. Myers
01-30-15, 09:20 PM
I definitely need more than 100A. I don't need 200A, but for convenience i might as well get it. I do have central air, electric oven, electric fireplace, etc. If i use the fireplace, i can't use the Nvidia GPUs in the 3770K box. If my wife irons her work clothes in the bedroom, i have to turn off the electric heater there or a fuse blows. The main reason i want 200A is because all my standard circuits are 15A and need to be 20A. The extra fuse slots in the higher amp mains would allow for more dedicated outlets. Every time i look at an outlet in my house this feeling of restriction always comes over me :p

Mumps
01-30-15, 11:40 PM
OK, so here's the breakdown on my project. Going from 100 AMP 16 pole to 100 AMP 32 pole. I also had the 2 230volt circuits run, but I omitted all the hardware for that and subtracted that time from the electricians hours listed here as well.

Electrician 6 Hours labor
New breaker panel
ground bus bar
5 new 15Amp breakers
8 new 20Amp breakers
2 new ground-spikes
100 ft of #4 wire for grounding
staples for groundwire
2 new 4 inch boxes
4 inch box covers
3/8 nm connectors
Communication grounding device

$541.50

When I was researching it, ballpark figure for upgrading to a 200Amp service seemed to be around $2,000 across the country. Because you need to replace the "socket" as well as having the Electric company involved and permits and all that. My gut feeling is my electrician really gave me a sweet deal and it wouldn't have cost that much more had I gone that route. But I don't expect you would find such a conveniently obliging electrician as mine. :)

Mumps
01-31-15, 12:00 AM
I definitely need more than 100A. I don't need 200A, but for convenience i might as well get it. I do have central air, electric oven, electric fireplace, etc. If i use the fireplace, i can't use the Nvidia GPUs in the 3770K box. If my wife irons her work clothes in the bedroom, i have to turn off the electric heater there or a fuse blows. The main reason i want 200A is because all my standard circuits are 15A and need to be 20A. The extra fuse slots in the higher amp mains would allow for more dedicated outlets. Every time i look at an outlet in my house this feeling of restriction always comes over me :p
"fuses?" Wow, that is an old school house then. :)

That just says you have too much on shared circuits. :) Computers can get you to 15 Amps at 110volt really easy. :) And 15 Amp is old school for outlets. Around here, you are allowed to do 15 Amp for light circuits, but not outlets. Biggest concern I see is that bit about upgrading from 15 Amp breakers to 20 Amp. According to code, that should also require 12 gauge wire running through the walls rather than the 14 gauge that's appropriate for the current 15 Amp circuits. Unless your house was wired with 12 gauge, that'll probably be a huge additional expense. 250 feet of 12-2 GA ran me $61, but pulling it through the entire house would be a huge project. Also, the outlets themselves are probably rated for only 15 Amp, so they would need to be replaced as well. Doing like me and installing dedicated circuits for computers would probably eliminate your breaker problem and give you the 20 Amp circuits to dedicate for hardware without upping to the 200 Amp.

And don't confuse the total of breaker Amps with what the main panel is rated for. (Like I did. :) ) In my case, I now have 290 Amps worth of breakers in my 100Amp box. When I started, there was 205 consumed by the 16 pole box that seemed to be drawing about 13. Most of those Amps never get used. Things like the 50 Amps for the electric stove are almost never drawn. And many of your 15 Amp circuits sit there idling to support a lightbulb or three. :)

John P. Myers
01-31-15, 12:17 AM
By "fuses" i meant "breakers" :p And i know i have to upgrade the wire guage. However i may not rewire what's already there, but instead add some additional dedicated circuits that are 20A. I know the rating of the box can be far less than the total of all breakers. Not everything is in use at once. I actually have the majority of my lights on a single 15A circuit which is fine since most of my bulbs are LED anyway. Waiting for the rest of the flourescents to burn out :p I'm also aware the outlets themselves need to be rated for 20A. They're like $3 at Home Depot :) But i've about hit the limit on what i can draw, and since i'm a cruncher, of course everything is always running when the oven is on, the dryer is on and the central air kicks on all the same time :/

nanoprobe
01-31-15, 10:23 AM
And with APC's, you can walk into a BatteriesPlus and buy replacement batteries off the shelf for small change. Very easy to replace.

Unfortunately the problem with the CyberPowers is not the batteries. It's one of the control boards.

FourOh
01-31-15, 11:14 AM
By "fuses" i meant "breakers" :p And i know i have to upgrade the wire guage. However i may not rewire what's already there, but instead add some additional dedicated circuits that are 20A. I know the rating of the box can be far less than the total of all breakers. Not everything is in use at once. I actually have the majority of my lights on a single 15A circuit which is fine since most of my bulbs are LED anyway. Waiting for the rest of the flourescents to burn out :p I'm also aware the outlets themselves need to be rated for 20A. They're like $3 at Home Depot :) But i've about hit the limit on what i can draw, and since i'm a cruncher, of course everything is always running when the oven is on, the dryer is on and the central air kicks on all the same time :/

In 2010 I upgraded my electrical service & panel from an actual "fusebox" to a 200A 40 circuit panel. I also had the electrician install a 50A sub-panel in the attic so I could easily run new circuits from there. All together it was about $1400, but a good investment which has made renovation/upgrade projects since then much easier.

JPM, the guy I used is in Bartlett so I don't know if it would make sense for you to use him... but you could call him and get a ballbark price for what you want. Billy Wallace 901-373-3107

Oh, and I think Mumps is right - for 200A service we had to replace conductors from the weatherhead all the way to the service panel, including a new socket.

John P. Myers
02-08-15, 07:47 AM
Today i upgraded my (wife's) socket 775 computer (http://www.enigmaathome.net/show_host_detail.php?hostid=128812) from a Q9550 to a QX9770.

DrPop
02-10-15, 01:27 AM
Today i upgraded my (wife's) socket 775 computer (http://www.enigmaathome.net/show_host_detail.php?hostid=128812) from a Q9550 to a QX9770.

Nice! That's actually a pretty nice crunching chip, even all these years later. :)

zombie67
02-10-15, 01:33 AM
The jump from the old Pentium architecture to the Core was seriously impressive.

Maxwell
04-14-15, 12:03 AM
Oh, so I guess my answer to the question I posed is "I upgraded my house!" :))
I'm finally happy to report that I, too, upgraded my house.

I took more of a "replacement" route, though. Wife and I got kicked out of our old place (owner wanted to sell it), so we, in a panic, found a place to buy. Closed and moved two weeks ago. But the reason I'm posting this tonight is that we finally got internet tonight. Hooray!

Now, I'll actually be able to turn my machines back on. It'll be a slow process, but it'll get there.

zombie67
04-14-15, 12:58 AM
Way to go! Gotta love the "this is mine (ours)!" feeling. Plus the mortgage tax credits are nice too.

Now, learn how to yell at kids to git off your lawn for some reason. Also, every time something breaks, ask yourself why you ever bought a house.

Seriously, congratulations!

Maxwell
04-14-15, 01:22 PM
Way to go! Gotta love the "this is mine (ours)!" feeling. Plus the mortgage tax credits are nice too.

Now, learn how to yell at kids to git off your lawn for some reason. Also, every time something breaks, ask yourself why you ever bought a house.

Seriously, congratulations!
Thanks! Wife and I are super excited. It'll be a fun new experience to start putting those "handy" skills I learned in my youth to actual use. And I don't think I've threatened to burn the place down yet! =))

And we live in a school zone, ~0.25 miles from an elementary school. So learning how to yell at those damned kids will be high on the priority list...:ar!

nanoprobe
04-14-15, 04:53 PM
Thanks! Wife and I are super excited. It'll be a fun new experience to start putting those "handy" skills I learned in my youth to actual use. And I don't think I've threatened to burn the place down yet! =))

And we live in a school zone, ~0.25 miles from an elementary school. So learning how to yell at those damned kids will be high on the priority list...:ar!
Get a Rottweiler. No yelling needed. :D

Bryan
04-14-15, 06:32 PM

I thought people like you weren't allowed to live near a school!

Sorry I couldn't resist =))

Maxwell
04-14-15, 06:58 PM
I thought people like you weren't allowed to live near a school!

Sorry I couldn't resist =))
Hah! My goal in life is to be just creepy enough that the neighborhood kids stay away from my yard, but not so creepy that I'm legally prohibited from living near a school. ;)

Fire$torm
04-19-15, 11:38 PM
@JPM: Nice upgrade!
@Mumps: Yowza dude!
@Maxwell: Big Congrats. Live the dream and all that \m/

My recent project? Finally upgraded the GPU in my desktop (Thx Ste\/e for the deal). Now it's sporting a MSI HD 7970. Of course I "had to" water cool it.......

https://db.tt/94j9jKEY

https://db.tt/o8vxUTeF

https://db.tt/syDrmDlp

https://db.tt/JQrd3E6v

Installed it yesterday but haven't had time to tweak the clocks. Now it's time to call it a night. (This took forever to post from my phone).

F$

John P. Myers
04-26-15, 03:17 PM
My turn for the electrician :D He'll be here thursday and friday which will suck because it'll hurt my pentathlon bunkering a little. But after he's done, i'll finally be able to run all of my GPUs at the same time! I'm not as lucky as Mumps though...gonna cost me $2900, but that's mainly because i'm also having the guy bring the entire house up to code.

STE\/E
04-27-15, 08:16 AM
Looks Good F$, I still have 4 maybe 5 7970's not really sure since their just laying around the garage if anybody's interested, PM me with what your willing to pay for 1 & maybe we can work something out ...

My recent project? Finally upgraded the GPU in my desktop (Thx Ste\/e for the deal). Now it's sporting a MSI HD 7970. Of course I "had to" water cool it.......

F$

Shandia
04-27-15, 09:09 AM
Looks totally awesome F$. Much better than the mandatory upgrade/tradeoff I had to do. Being down to one good gpu after blowing my wad on some of the parts for my next build left me in a bad spot. That's over twice the card I picked up. Maybe I'll return it after the Pentathlon once I'm done with it and needing something more. lol

shiva
04-27-15, 04:40 PM
Get a Rottweiler. No yelling needed. :DRottweilers are probably not allowed in a school zone, and maybe not even in town. :)

Duke of Buckingham
04-27-15, 05:12 PM
I cant go to shiva town.:(

Hello Ric.:)

Shandia
04-27-15, 06:54 PM
Does trying to upgrade/repair qualify? I went ahead and bought a replacement cooler for one of the 5850s today. No tape in package. no problem. Cement for ram heat sinks is cured in tube.That's a problem. Anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement for the cement or any suggestions in general?It's an arctic accelero l2 plus cooler. I'm so tempted to just Frankenstein with the original heat sink.Really want to keep it as it should be installed.

Shandia
05-02-15, 02:55 AM
Since I'm dragging my feet about going to Micro Center for good adhesive for the gpu ram heat sinks due to wanting todo all my shopping in just one more trip, I did the unthinkable. I modded the cover of ONE of my cards to get another computer
bunkering for the pentathlon. I would be hoping it's better than nothing.....but that's what it had when I powered the system on last time......;-) I will say, I hope it holds until after the pentathlon. I will have the stuff to do the second card here in a couple of days. I will also test to see which way cools better. :cool: The stock heat sink with the nice big copper plate.seems so much better than the replacement We will see how this goes.Onto installing it and powering up to finish those Windows updates! Oh yeah......and start that bunker!

Fire$torm
05-02-15, 06:25 PM
Does trying to upgrade/repair qualify? I went ahead and bought a replacement cooler for one of the 5850s today. No tape in package. no problem. Cement for ram heat sinks is cured in tube.That's a problem. Anyone have a suggestion on a good replacement for the cement or any suggestions in general?It's an arctic accelero l2 plus cooler. I'm so tempted to just Frankenstein with the original heat sink.Really want to keep it as it should be installed.

The original version of the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II was a great cooler for ATI/AMD cards. Version 2 now comes with some gawd awful backplate/heatsink that you may be able to ditch but I'm not sure on that. Also v2 cost about 50% more then the original.

Edit: I just checked and v1 is available again. Best price is on Amazon --> http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Twin-Turbo-Cooler/dp/B005FYCFG8

Now to answer your question...

Tape
1st Choice: 3M 8815 thermal transfer tape. One source for it (Here (http://www.performance-pcs.com/3m-8815-thermally-conductive-adhesivetape.html))
2nd Choice: Sekisui 5760 Thermal Adhesive Tape. Check eBay for suppliers.

Adhesive
For thermal transfer adhesives, use Arctic Silver's stuff. They make to kinds, one contains silver p/n: ASTA-7G (Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100005&cm_re=Arctic_Silver_adhesive-_-35-100-005-_-Product)) and the other contains alumina p/n: AATA-5G (Link (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100013&cm_re=Arctic_Silver_adhesive-_-35-100-013-_-Product))

Shandia
05-02-15, 09:15 PM
Ok, this is what I plan to do. I'm taking the second kit back. If the adhesive was cured in the first package,i suspect the second is the same. Have no idea if the tape is missing from the second package or not. I'll be getting thestuff F$ suggested and buying a $3.99 fan for this card. It just seems silly to pay $20 for just a fan to hot glue to the face of a card. I'll clean up this fan and re-assemble the second card that is totally pulled apart and cleaned. I was looking at different coolers for the hd5850 in an attempt to find a couple of water blocks. Last year I did find one or two.This year, they seem to have gone the way of the dodo. Anyway, With the mild savings I'll be getting from taking the second one back, I'll be picking up a uber cheap socket 1150 mobo. Going grocery shopping last night almost did me in. Eat and be happy with what I have going currently or crunch and be cranky for a few weeks. The cpu is sitting in the apartment complex's office until Tuesday. Nothing I can do about that. So my shopping trip has been put off until Wed at the earliest. Plenty of time to change my mind on things before then. (and plenty of time to spend my money on shoes instead of saving and waiting)

John P. Myers
05-03-15, 12:45 AM
Electrician finished up my house yesterday. 200A main breaker, 4 dedicated computer circuits, a 200A main principal and enough juice to eventually add a couple more computers :D

Shandia
05-03-15, 06:12 AM
Electrician finished up my house yesterday. 200A main breaker, 4 dedicated computer circuits, a 200A main principal and enough juice to eventually add a couple more computers :D

Woo Hoo! CONGRATS!!! The badly needed work is done. Hopefully no more tripped breakers. My house in Mesquite was a mess. Many times electricians don't think when they wire a house. Then again,most homes before the 80's a microwave was not a common thing to have......neither was a computer network. The newer houses aren't much better with the wall sockets with breakers in them. Really!?!? You want me to plug in a 1000w curling iron and 1500w hairdrier into that!?!?! I can just imagine the Einstein who thought a breaker in the electrical socket was a good idea. "It's for the safety being near water and pipes!"(AND now more often than not it's city code.) Funny that most of our more powerful appliances are usually near water and pipes. Things that sound good on paper are often tried but rarely ever challenged in the real world. I hope your dedicated computer circuits will be enough and the overall planning of the rest of the re-wire job was thought out..

Fire$torm
08-30-15, 09:31 PM
This is sorta old news about my WC gaming rig. After the 7970 install I posted on 04.19.2015 (http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?8082-What-did-*you*-upgrade-today&p=95251&viewfull=1#post95251), I realized that the Swiftech Apogee Drive II pump was making too much noise. I believe that running the pump at full speed constantly was causing the water to cavitate around the impeller. So in July I upgraded to a Swiftech Apogee XL waterblock and D5 pump.

Anyhoot this is probably the last WC upgrade I will make on this rig until Intel's next die shrink.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvzihkomflnnd5t/Side_View-2nd_Upgrade_1024x768.jpg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhs63gkvlib4szy/Side_View-2nd_Upgrade_Closeup_1024x768.png?dl=1

Crunch On!

c303a
08-31-15, 11:58 AM
Nice! I love the purple tubing.

Justgeo1
08-31-15, 06:33 PM
Nice plumbing job... bet that keeps things cool... :)

Shandia
10-22-15, 10:51 AM
Here is an epic failure! I managed to squeeze everything I wanted into my HP case. The biggest problem? With the side on, there is no air flow what so ever even with all the fans. The gpu is probably what is suffering the most since my 5850s are now 3 slots wide and that puts the fan against the bottom of the case. The mobo, large cpu cooler, over sized psu with front to back airflow and the gpu have all been traded out. No pics of the finished product yet since I have to do surgery to the gigabyte board.2257

BlackFox1
10-24-15, 06:11 PM
I upgraded ram to 8Gb and HDD to SSD on my laptop I'm currently using for crunching. Not much more I can really upgrade unfortunately. I tried to upgrade the CPU (T4500) to another socket p CPU I think T99/9800 (can't remember), but I couldn't get the system to post so I had to swap back. That was beginning of the week.

Yesterday I bought a wireless nic and a Xeon x5470 (which I plan to OC) to swap with a Core 2 E6700 on an old Alienware R4 7500 a buddy sold me for $50. Apparently you can convert the Xeon LGA771 to fit a LGA 775 socket with a pin mod. I think it refreshes LGA775 boards.
http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

Today I just ordered a bigger EVGA 650w PSU, heat sink (hyper 212 evo) and 256Gb Samsung SSD for another rig so I can OC my FX-6300 and 270 when I get back home. Looking at maybe getting another used 270 to crossfire in another 6 months or so. Planning to build an Intel rig off 5820K in the next couple months. Waiting for Black Friday and Electronics Monday :D

All I got for now! More upgrades to come later.

Dave gpu
10-24-15, 06:39 PM
Today my oldest rig went belly up, 9 years 24/7/365 AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor, my first Quad-Core.
Will cost more to fix then what it's worth.
will let it rust in peace.=))

Shandia
10-25-15, 12:53 PM
Today my oldest rig went belly up, 9 years 24/7/365 AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor, my first Quad-Core.
Will cost more to fix then what it's worth.
will let it rust in peace.=))

Isn't it amazing how much some are selling old parts for? They are all on drugs! =)) I can't even find matching ram for Bipolar or find a good replacement board for my c2d that isn't as much as a mobo for my newest rig......which I still need.

c303a
10-25-15, 01:46 PM
I can't even find matching ram for Bipolar or find a good replacement board for my c2d

Did you ask in the forum? A lot of us have extra parts that we will donate or sell for low $. Try it you may like it. :D

BlackFox1
10-26-15, 12:50 AM
Steve gpu, you had that rig before I even knew how to build a pc! I didn't realize computers lasted so long. I am hoping mine will last at least that long. I would hate to get a new machine every five years. Out of curiosity, was it something you regularly cleaned and maintained or one you mostly left alone? I ask so I can gauge how long I can expect my systems to last with or without much care.

Shandia, I know what you mean. I search clear and far on eBay, Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect, and a lot of various other websites for used parts and sometimes they cost almost as much as buying brand new!

c303a, great suggestion. I will be asking the forum soon about any spare parts laying around.

c303a
10-26-15, 10:44 AM
A lot of the people on the forum are usually willing to "share" used parts providing they are used to crunch and not be sold on e-Bay or some other site. I believe that this group does all it can to help others increase the crunching capacity of the team. It is a very good group of people.

dcushing
10-28-15, 12:27 AM
I went from 4 old seagate drives, to 4 ssd drives....

such is a rainy or two days project

damn, alot faster on my old computers now... bit difference between microseconds (ms)and nanoseconds (ns) on a computer!

MindCrime
11-09-15, 01:47 PM
Finally got around to replacing the passive CPU cooler on the primary in the t5500. Spent 11 bucks for the used stock part. Other 1366 coolers won't work without heavy modifactions. It doesn't seem to be designed to use a fan directly on it just the big case fan in front of it. (Edit: I think there's suppose to be a black plastic shroud that a fan can mount to, I think i ditched a lot of the plastic that came with it) This wasn't good enough. I jerry-rigged a 92mm fan to it and these temps amazing. Would you believe I used silicon rubber fish tank air tubing? Makes for a great gasket/anti vibration.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/e8e1ed3ac5caca8a3735de4ad0d01b38.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/c7e809a00cbe9c0233b4f7525120ac0a.jpg

The top temps are the ones that got the new cooler. At those loads they used to bang off the temp limits and throttle down. Which is around 80c. Down nearly 25c.
I can actually use some hyperthreading. Should have done this sooner.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Mumps
11-09-15, 03:29 PM
Looks like it might be time to blow/brush out a bit of that dust too MindCrime. :D

Good job on the fan mount!

MindCrime
11-09-15, 03:33 PM
Oh I did. It was horrible. You'd think I was breeding rabbits. Lil bunnies all over. That's about 11 months of 24/7 crunch dust. Definitely need to do that more often.

c303a
11-13-15, 01:11 PM
New 4790K up and running. Replaced a 2600k with it with a new Asus Z97A USB 3.1 motherboard and 16 gbs 2133 memory. Running a EVGA GTX 960 and a Evga GTX 750ti.

Al
11-13-15, 03:44 PM
Nothing...but I'm getting ready. I have 3 upgraded HSF for my 3-t5500's, but I'm waiting for the fans to arrive. Suppose to be here Monday. Now how to cool the other cpu.....

Al
11-13-15, 03:47 PM
New 4790K up and running. Replaced a 2600k with it with a new Asus Z97A USB 3.1 motherboard and 16 gbs 2133 memory. Running a EVGA GTX 960 and a Evga GTX 750ti.

Sweet! Let's see some comparison numbers. Upgrades are good, even if you have to fry something to validated the upgrade.

c303a
11-19-15, 10:41 AM
My EVGA GTX 460 gave up the ghost today after running almost 24/7 for the last 4 1/2 years so I had to find a replacement for it. Picked up another EVGA SSC GTX 960 which I should have by Monday so I will have 2 of them running in 1 of my boxes.

Shandia
11-20-15, 02:08 AM
Very sad that an old and faithful friend has passed away. It seems that your new upgrade will be very lovingly used.....just don't choke it to death the first time out. Then again, warranties are a wonderful thing. So knock yourself out.

I know this is slightly off topic. But I've always had issues posting pics to the forum and this feed. Anytime I manage to get a pic to actually upload without the usual dribble of an error which makes no sense, it's so small, it's hard to tell what the pic is. I've looked through the Q&A and in other parts of the forum without luck. I did come across the album section which it gives me the same error. Is there anything special one has to do to get full size pics posted? Could it be the overall dimension since I'm primarily using an hd cam for pics? This is an answer I'd love to know......and in a way, it would be an 'upgrade'. Also, maybe a section on this subject under uploading photos would help others. I actually have quite a few I'd love to add to my album....all the modding, new stuff, fried, burnt, washed, and other various ways we tend to kill parts.

Al
11-20-15, 10:17 AM
Like MindCrime, I installed 2 of 3 upgraded HSF on my T5500s. Temps with the new HSF on the primary cpu are great! The secondary cpu is no where's near MindCrimes, but at least they are no longer in the yellow. Possibly the fact that I'm pushing air through the HSF, whereas MindCrimes appears to be push from the front case fans and pull with the fan attached to the heatsink. I might try that on the last one, but with the fans I have, they do not lend themselves to that configuration because the fan either binds on the fins or the spacer. Anyway, Before and After screenshots are below are 100% load with HT on.

Edit: Last one done and the temps are about the same. I didn't change the configuration. I did run out of 80mm fans and did discover that one 92mm fan will fit and only effects the temps about 2 degrees +. So, if you don't have a couple of 80mm fans at your disposal 1 - 92mm will work in a pinch. I do have 80mm fans on order.

c303a
12-10-15, 06:19 PM
Finally got my Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 back from Asus today They got it on the 23 of Nov. for repair. It would only pick up 1 GPU. It worked fine no matter what slot it went into as long as it was just 1 GPU. Hope it lasts longer than the last one did. It was only about 2 months old on an exchange from Asus. The original went down after 4 months. I now havew 2 GTX 960's, 2 GTX 570's, 1 GTX 750 and 1 GTX 750ti up and running. 2 Intel 4970K's and 1 3770K.

Fire$torm
12-13-15, 10:08 PM
Well........

I finally purchased my first TV in almost 20 years! Yes, as in two decades since I've owned a TV. But that was by choice, as I do not watch much in the way of shows. In fact I can count all the shows I like on my fingers and still have some free to eat popcorn with....

Anyhoot on Black Friday I pulled the trigger on a Vizio M-Series.

The Vizio M60-C3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/boj064lvaxzwhx2/Vizio%20M60-C3_Small.jpg?dl=1

Also I had to upgrade my other i7-920 box (not pictured) with an EVGA GTX-960 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487155&cm_re=EVGA_GTX-960-_-14-487-155-_-Product) which gives me HDMI 2.0 support. Yeah, it's not an R9 series but apparently none of the AMD's offer HDMI 2.0 support. :((

Eventually I'll get around to setting up Kodi [f.k.a. XBMC] on the rig for my vid collection.

Oh and the lumber on milk crates is temporary. I'll be building an AV stand over the winter for the Vizio & audio stuff. Can't find one that I really like that costs less then the Vizio......

Aux10
12-14-15, 10:42 PM
Oh and the lumber on milk crates is temporary. I'll be building an AV stand over the winter for the Vizio & audio stuff. Can't find one that I really like that costs less then the Vizio......

Sounds like it's time for a trip to IKEA! b-) IDK why but I really like that place for some reason.

Al
12-17-15, 11:23 AM
I'm parting out my i7 and amd systems and I started losing a WDHDD on one I'm getting ready to sell. Slapped in a Samsung SSD I had sitting on my bar (beer and rebuilds can go well together sometimes.) Should have swapped that in long ago. New Win 7 install and drivers installed in less than 30 minutes. Too bad I'm selling it off.

Fire$torm
12-19-15, 08:29 AM
Sounds like it's time for a trip to IKEA! b-) IDK why but I really like that place for some reason.

Yeah, Ikea is a great store. Being half Swedish myself, I'm kinda partial to Scandinavian designs.

MindCrime
12-19-15, 09:34 AM
Yeah, Ikea is a great store. Being half Swedish myself, I'm kinda partial to Scandinavian designs.
"Lackrack" end tables maybe?

FourOh
12-21-15, 04:05 PM
Over the last couple of months I've been doing some upgrades to Wasp Redux, Z's old rig that I've had since April. I loaded it up with two R9-280x GPUs, a 1000 Watt Platinum PSU from EVGA, and as of today a Kraken X31 CPU cooler. The fan on my Cooler Master Evo 212 crapped out, so I figured I'd step up. Glad I did! Temps are way down.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/21/71ac1d065f6a4d13f615060706737693.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/21/a3893429660cb8dae89065f89c3237e4.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/21/09205698f63b696540c0b7da2b9d3a61.jpg

MindCrime
12-21-15, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=FourOh;101438]Over the last couple of months I've been doing some upgrades to Wasp Redux, Z's old rig that I've had since April. I loaded it up with two R9-280x GPUs, a 1000 Watt Platinum PSU from EVGA, and as of today a Kraken X31 CPU cooler. The fan on my Cooler Master Evo 212 crapped out, so I figured I'd step up. Glad I did! Temps are way down.

Good looking rig. Nice cable management. Looks like those GPUs need a kickstand.

What case is that? And how hot do those Tahiti's get when right next to each other?

Also those were some sharp looking photos and when I replied originally the had tapatalk domains. Does one have to upgrade tapatalk to post highres shots?

FourOh
12-21-15, 04:48 PM
Here's the complete part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/kJWXsY

Case is NZXT S340 - it's a great case that makes cable management easy. Yep, the GPUs sag a bit. I don't love how it looks but they feel secure. I might cut a couple dowels to fit and paint black. Hopefully I can make them disappear. There's a slot in between the GPUs so with two 140mm intake fans, a 140mm top exhaust and 120mm rear exhaust they stay around the same temp they would in a single-GPU setup.

I have found that uploading from the mobile app results in better quality images. Not sure why that is.

Good looking rig. Nice cable management. Looks like those GPUs need a kickstand.

What case is that? And how hot do those Tahiti's get when right next to each other?

Also those were some sharp looking photos and when I replied originally the had tapatalk domains. Does one have to upgrade tapatalk to post highres shots?

Mike029
12-21-15, 05:00 PM
That is one clean case. Very nice. How are the temps on the cpu?

MindCrime
12-21-15, 05:08 PM
I have found that uploading from the mobile app results in better quality images. Not sure why that is.

I'm only using the android version and the couple of times I've tried to upload photos from this phone the progress bar stops at 10%. I believe this camera is 4k, hmm just checked, photo I took was 4160x2340 when wide and 3120x4160 when vertical.
Edit test upload success

MindCrime
12-21-15, 05:16 PM
For those unaware the u1 antminer from bitmain didn't come with a heatsink, Unlike the u2. It came with a piece, of what feels like, cheap aluminum without any additional surface area machined into it. It would get too hot to the touch. So I thought it couldn't hurt.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151221/669f9be1cb9492fd482c7e5da1f9f74f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151221/3d254fc9d5f7aa643461af3cd8e69983.jpg

FourOh
12-21-15, 05:26 PM
That is one clean case. Very nice. How are the temps on the cpu?

Around 60C running at 3700Mhz. Bumped up to 3900Mhz and I'm not going over 64C. I have a Kraken X41 on my i7-4790k rig and I like it, so the X31 was a no-brainer for me on this build.

I'm only using the android version and the couple of times I've tried to upload photos from this phone the progress bar stops at 10%. I believe this camera is 4k, hmm just checked, photo I took was 4160x2340 when wide and 3120x4160 when vertical.
Edit test upload success

Tapatalk still reduces the file size quite a bit... I guess if we want to share 4k (or 20 Megapixel :D) shots we'll have to do it on a third (fourth?) party platform.

MindCrime
12-21-15, 05:29 PM
I'm interested in all those pll, offset, etc voltages in your bios on that 3770k. Could you snap a photo or two of those for me? I never really dialed in the one I got from tankmaster. The onboard over clock uses way too much voltage and runs rather hot.

Its on an Asus highend board, whatever the atx z77 was, rampage or something.

FourOh
12-21-15, 05:40 PM
I'm interested in all those pll, offset, etc voltages in your bios on that 3770k. Could you snap a photo or two of those for me? I never really dialed in the one I got from tankmaster. The onboard over clock uses way too much voltage and runs rather hot.

Its on an Asus highend board, whatever the atx z77 was, rampage or something.

Honestly I have most everything in BIOS set to "Auto" and I use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to tweak the freqs. I usually don't OC beyond a couple hundred Mhz... I always had bad luck with it back in the day and I pretty much gave up on it :p

Al
12-21-15, 08:04 PM
I have 2-3770k's in ASROCK Z77 extreme 4 motherboards. Both are overclocked to 4.4ghz and crunch 24/7 and have for a year. I did nothing more than turn off any turbo feature, put all voltages on auto and bump the CPU Multiplier to 44. Temps run high 60c to low 70c depending on what I'm running project wise. Air cooled.

MindCrime
12-21-15, 10:04 PM
Thanks to both of you. I'll get to tweaking on it soon.

Al
12-21-15, 10:21 PM
Thanks to both of you. I'll get to tweaking on it soon.

I have had it to 4.7ghz, but I had to increase voltage and I didn't like the Temps with my air cooler. It didn't throttle, but it seemed a bit of overkill for a 24/7 cruncher for the small increase in credits/day. The 3770k's run easily at 4.4ghz.

FourOh
12-22-15, 11:20 AM
I have had it to 4.7ghz, but I had to increase voltage and I didn't like the Temps with my air cooler. It didn't throttle, but it seemed a bit of overkill for a 24/7 cruncher for the small increase in credits/day. The 3770k's run easily at 4.4ghz.

OK, you inspired me. I'm up to 4.0ghz :D

Al
12-22-15, 12:56 PM
OK, you inspired me. I'm up to 4.0ghz :D
That's a good start. ;)

dcushing
12-22-15, 09:21 PM
Didnt upgrade a damn thing today! hehehehehe

Comming up on tax time, waiting to see how much Obama screwed me again this year...

Aux10
12-22-15, 10:27 PM
Didnt upgrade a damn thing today! hehehehehe

Comming up on tax time, waiting to see how much Obama screwed me again this year...

If only we could file the cost of the energy we spent on crunching for a tax deduction.

John P. Myers
12-23-15, 06:36 AM
Actually you can claim $250/year in donations without having to prove it. It's a start at least

Fire$torm
12-24-15, 08:25 AM
Actually you can claim $250/year in donations without having to prove it. It's a start at least

Totally forgot that one! Thx for the reminder.

MindCrime
12-26-15, 01:21 PM
Since I didn't have much time or warm clothes, I set everything to auto on the 3770k and used Intel's XTU. It started throwing errors at 4.5ghz on stock voltage. I think its stable at 4.4 and temps are acceptable in the high 60s. Another one of those things I should have done a while ago.

Al
12-26-15, 02:01 PM
Since I didn't have much time or warm clothes, I set everything to auto on the 3770k and used Intel's XTU. It started throwing errors at 4.5ghz on stock voltage. I think its stable at 4.4 and temps are acceptable in the high 60s. Another one of those things I should have done a while ago.

A Christmas present to yourself! You got a free core or two.

nanoprobe
12-29-15, 07:50 AM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/nanoprobe/Untitled_zpsrflu1vyt.jpg

This X2 in a server mobo. Christmas present to myself. \m/
Notice the voltage. 56 cores @250 watts on 100% load.

Al
12-29-15, 10:12 AM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/nanoprobe/Untitled_zpsrflu1vyt.jpg

This X2 in a server mobo. Christmas present to myself. \m/
Notice the voltage. 56 cores @250 watts on 100% load.
You're obviously a great gift giver and, lucky me, I have a birthday coming up. :)

cineon_lut
12-29-15, 04:04 PM
So I'm trying to get a benchmark between my X5650s, (12 cores HT0 at 2.66gHz versus my E5-1650v2 at 3.5gHz (12 cores HT). Like a dummy I used Rosetta@home which has a target CPU time, so the times were the same. However granted credit was a 37% increase in favor of the E5-1650v2. Anyone compared the E5s versus the X56XX on any other projects? I'm going to try this out on some raytrace rendering now (Maya / vRay)

Fire$torm
12-31-15, 09:58 PM
Does wiring my apt. for Internet with RG-6 and Cat-6 count as an upgrade?

Aux10
01-01-16, 12:28 AM
Does wiring my apt. for Internet with RG-6 and Cat-6 count as an upgrade?

So what do you plan to do with all that LAN bandwidth?

Fire$torm
01-01-16, 10:30 AM
So what do you plan to do with all that LAN bandwidth?

That was for my Comcast Service. Needed the RG-6 so I could move my gateway to a different room. And the CAT-6 to connect my AV stuff (via a Netgear ProSAFE GSS108E Click Switch (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V3N90501&cm_re=netgear_click_switch-_-0XP-001M-000M6-_-Product)) and gaming rig to the gateway.

Fire$torm
01-01-16, 10:03 PM
Okay, I tweaked Kodi a bit today for the movies I've started to add to the box. And as requested, a pic....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hanfe8vtmqgnkw/Kodi%20-%20Movie%20View.jpg?dl=1

Mike029
01-02-16, 06:09 PM
Okay, I tweaked Kodi a bit today for the movies I've started to add to the box. And as requested, a pic....

Looks like F$ is baaaaaack!!!

FourOh
01-08-16, 05:47 PM
Over the last couple of months I've been doing some upgrades to Wasp Redux, Z's old rig that I've had since April. I loaded it up with two R9-280x GPUs, a 1000 Watt Platinum PSU from EVGA, and as of today a Kraken X31 CPU cooler. The fan on my Cooler Master Evo 212 crapped out, so I figured I'd step up. Glad I did! Temps are way down.

Yesterday I lost track of Wasp Redux (it's in an office trailer at a project site) so I dropped in today to find water from the Kraken X31 dripping from the block connector down onto the GPUs. The system was still powered up with fans spinning, so I shut everything down and removed the cooler. I pulled the GPUs, blew all the slots out with canned air (which pushed a bit of liquid out) and waited a while to let it dry out. I installed an old air cooler and tried to fire it up... nothing. Not sure what all is fried or if I just need to let it dry out overnight.

Needless to say, I'm not to happy about the Kraken right now. Not so much an upgrade at this point, having taken down an otherwise reliable i7 dual-280X machine within a few weeks of purchase.

Edit: According to this thread, NZXT may pay for replacement of damaged components due to a liquid leak (upon completion of their "investigation"). In this case, I'm probably better off doing an RMA rather than returning the cooler to Amazon for a full refund...
https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/2fjqb0/kraken_warranties/

FourOh
01-11-16, 02:29 PM
One (possibly two) of my 280x cards is fried from the leaky Kraken :( Well, at least it won't crunch.

I think the first PCIe slot is toast as well... with my 2nd 280x card in the 2nd slot the system seems to run ok, but I have some testing to do.

I guess I'll try to go after NZXT for the damages... not really confident about that. The Kraken is still in the return period, and I could try to RMA the 280X. But I'd still have a disabled mobo. :p

MindCrime
01-11-16, 04:59 PM
One (possibly two) of my 280x cards is fried from the leaky Kraken :( Well, at least it won't crunch.

I think the first PCIe slot is toast as well... with my 2nd 280x card in the 2nd slot the system seems to run ok, but I have some testing to do.

I guess I'll try to go after NZXT for the damages... not really confident about that. The Kraken is still in the return period, and I could try to RMA the 280X. But I'd still have a disabled mobo. [emoji14]
I'd hope they replace the unit as well as the mobo. That's every builders biggest fear when using a liquid cooled system. If I sold AIOs I would do my best to rectify all issues involving leaks or else word of mouth will kill the product line. Let us know how that goes.

Aux10
01-11-16, 05:23 PM

I guess I'll try to go after NZXT for the damages... not really confident about that. The Kraken is still in the return period, and I could try to RMA the 280X. But I'd still have a disabled mobo. :p

And this is why I'm so adamant about my love for air cooling. Liquid coolers scare the shit out of me. I rather install oversized heat syncs over a compact liquid cooler any day. That's just me though; to each their own.

FourOh
01-11-16, 05:42 PM
And this is why I'm so adamant about my love for air cooling. Liquid coolers scare the shit out of me. I rather install oversized heat syncs over a compact liquid cooler any day. That's just me though; to each their own.

I avoided them for a long time for this very reason. But, I had a CPU fan lock up recently and tried to cook my processor, so any component can fail and potentially harm another. Unfortunately this Kraken took two major components down with it.

Thankfully the system is back up and running, although down to a single GPU. The screen is flashing a bit when running on the Intel HD graphics... I'm hoping it's a mobo issue and not the CPU.

I submitted an RMA to NZXT with photos and description of the damage... we shall see what happens next. If they ask me to send the components in, I'll be down a machine for a while. So basically they'll be forcing me to upgrade :p i7-5820k anyone?

Al
01-11-16, 06:04 PM
I avoided them for a long time for this very reason. But, I had a CPU fan lock up recently and tried to cook my processor, so any component can fail and potentially harm another. Unfortunately this Kraken took two major components down with it.

Thankfully the system is back up and running, although down to a single GPU. The screen is flashing a bit when running on the Intel HD graphics... I'm hoping it's a mobo issue and not the CPU.

I submitted an RMA to NZXT with photos and description of the damage... we shall see what happens next. If they ask me to send the components in, I'll be down a machine for a while. So basically they'll be forcing me to upgrade :p i7-5820k anyone?
Geez...there are easier and less stressful ways to work out an upgrade. :rolleyes: You are more calm than I would be...at least in your post. I, too, am a big air cooling fan...or x2 fans so to speak...as I never run a cooler that can't be run in push/pull. My logic? It's unlikely that both will go bad at the same time and electricity and water don't mix. I had a closed loop on my first REAL computer and it worked fine for years and I never had a problem and it made it to retirement. Anything can break, I'm just sorry it did so much damage on its way out. Until recently I had been very fortunate, then I had a psu die and fry the mb...I upgraded also. :p

Fire$torm
01-12-16, 12:33 AM
I would have to disagree, at least in part. AIO units are prone to leaking because they are massed produced products. (One exception would be Swiftech's AIO units. They have a much higher level of QC.) Now custom loops WC setups are an entirely different animal. The ONLY time one will leak is if the owner selected cheap parts and/or did not take time to ensure a proper installation. I currently have 2 rigs with custom WC setups and have never had a leak issue. My gaming rig has had 3 different WC setups (x1 Swiftech AIO & x2 custom loops) with two different WC GPUs.

DrPop
01-13-16, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I would agree with that for the most part - but we're talking how many AIO water coolers out there now compared to custom loops? The custom loops if designed correctly should last a long time - but how many will ever put the $ and time into one? Yes, F$, you are a MAJOR exception, my friend! :D By the way, great to see you back! :)

dcushing
01-16-16, 10:42 PM
I upgraded to the latest Boinc on 1 box...

twas a nice day b4 the rain came.... Did nothing else.

Another day successfully wasted!

Next task, replace batteries in remote,, and get another beer)

Fire$torm
01-17-16, 08:44 AM
I upgraded to the latest Boinc on 1 box...

twas a nice day b4 the rain came.... Did nothing else.

Another day successfully wasted!

Next task, replace batteries in remote,, and get another beer)

Now that is funny......

Fire$torm
01-17-16, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I would agree with that for the most part - but we're talking how many AIO water coolers out there now compared to custom loops? The custom loops if designed correctly should last a long time - but how many will ever put the $ and time into one? Yes, F$, you are a MAJOR exception, my friend! :D By the way, great to see you back! :)

Thx DP, it's good to be on again.

Yes, custom loops can cost more but remember, that cost allows for greater flexability, styling and they are serviceable . Almost all AIOs are throw away designs with exceptions from Swiftech, Cooler Master and a few others.

Personally for me the biggest advantage with custom loops is that you can WC more then just the CPU. WC a GPU, for example, allows you to OC more while also extending the useful llife
os said GPU. So, a well designed WC setup can pay for itself in the long run.

MindCrime
01-21-16, 02:11 AM
Not so much an upgrade but a lesson learned and improved temporary functionality.

So for the past week I've been using xfinity wifi as my only internet connection. For those who have the luxury of not knowing what it is... comcast routers broadcast a second network under the SSID of xfinity. So my neighbors to the right and left each have comcast routers so I have two xfinity sources, the signal is great. If you're a comcast/xfinity internet customer with a great than 25Mbps plan you get access to the xfinity wifi. Now, you can't log into it from a PC, it somehow knows via MAC address or something so my phone has been my router.

So for the past 6ish days I was basically bunkering BOINC work as I plugged my phone into each 1 and engaged the tether (wish it could go on by default), it was tedious and annoying. Today I tried to find a way to spread the love. After a few hours of dabbling and dead ends, (microsofts ICS ((internet connection sharing does not work with a tethered connection), but what none of the articles I read mentioned and I eventually tried you can bridge the LAN connection to the "tethered connection" but I hadn't figured it all out yet, couldn't get an internet connection from the other computers that were plugged into the same router (acting as hub) so then i said what if i pluged the bridged connection into the "internet" jack on the dd-wrt router and bam...

OnePlusOne..best phone ever, i think i got it for 175 bucks with 64gb, unlocked, cyanogenmod (looks like they're up to 300 bucks) I feel bad for those people who drop 700 bucks at the Verizon store on a new phone.

Al
01-21-16, 01:09 PM
I started getting prepared for my (sometime in the future) upgrade to GigaPower U-Verse. Last week I pulled Cat6 cable throughout the house and last night I upgraded my 16 port 10/100 Network switch to a 16 port Netgear ProSafe GS116 Gigabit switch. I also wanted to relive the good old days and I couldn't resist the price of $61 for a HD 5970, so I installed that this morning next to a GTX 570...old school! I may not be able to keep up with you guys/girls and your newest ATI and NV hardware, but I can burn more electricity than you can! Both are comfortably crunching away.

Edit: I'm kinda having run today. After the above I found a 7750 sitting unused (actually 2) and I managed to hook one up and get it crunching. I had to use a x1 slot, 1-x1 ribbon cable and 1-x16 ribbon cable, but it's crunching Collatz. I'd post a picture, but it's a bit embarrassing. Hmmm...now the other 7750 needs a home...what kind of mess can I create now?

Haunted Forest
01-22-16, 12:10 AM

Two 16 thread motherboards liquid cooling. Yes I fear the liquid!

Budget build though. Picture 6 boards in an aluminum case

HF

c303a
01-23-16, 02:42 PM
Just put together a P5k SE with a Q6700 to play with. Installed the GTX 750 and 4 GB of memory. Now I am installing Linux Mint ver. 17.3. I have never worked witth Linux so it will be fun trying to get everything working.

dcushing
01-24-16, 05:02 PM
I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers... Seems to have knocked off 9 min on a work unit from 50 min work unit on Moo.... Now 41 min. Ill take that!

Yes indeed! (where is that damn happy smiley face icon?)

c303a
01-30-16, 11:57 AM
I got the Q6700 up and running CPU tasks on it but I cannot get the GPU to run on the Linux Mint. I have installed the Nvidia drivers but do I need to install something into the Boinc folder or somewhere else to gt the GTX 750 running?

Aux10
01-30-16, 12:21 PM
I got the Q6700 up and running CPU tasks on it but I cannot get the GPU to run on the Linux Mint. I have installed the Nvidia drivers but do I need to install something into the Boinc folder or somewhere else to gt the GTX 750 running?

Nope. If you did a standard install of both it should be good to go. The Linux Nvidia driver install can be pretty picky if you don't do it exactly right; so my best guess is something went wrong there. Did you use the official Nvidia driver from their site or the one the distribution recommended? The distribution ones are often generic drivers and don't include extras such as CUDA.

dave c
01-30-16, 12:45 PM
I would have to disagree, at least in part. AIO units are prone to leaking because they are massed produced products. (One exception would be Swiftech's AIO units. They have a much higher level of QC.) Now custom loops WC setups are an entirely different animal. The ONLY time one will leak is if the owner selected cheap parts and/or did not take time to ensure a proper installation. I currently have 2 rigs with custom WC setups and have never had a leak issue. My gaming rig has had 3 different WC setups (x1 Swiftech AIO & x2 custom loops) with two different WC GPUs.

ill have to have u guys help me pick out what to use on my setup once i find a pair of waterblocks to fit my powercolor r9 280x's
right now its got a basic magicool 360 kit on just the cpu witht he tubing and compression fittings that came with the kit , the tubing was way to stiff to make nice so i decided im going to get acrylic tubing and make it all nice .

i just have no idea on what brands of fittings and tubing i should be buying
currently im also using primochill uv blue cooling fluid
this is before i installed the dual 280x's and the rm1000 psu
http://i.imgur.com/LkI3jNt.jpg

i do regret not buying the kit with the 460 rad , cause at the time i thought i was going to buy an r9 295x which came with its own radiator so by getting the 360 it would have let e fit it

and huge difference over my evo 212 , with the evo i was able to get 4.7ghz stable now im up a touch over 5ghz

c303a
01-30-16, 01:29 PM
Nope. If you did a standard install of both it should be good to go. The Nvidia driver install can be pretty picky if you don't do it exactly right. My best guess is something went wrong there. Did you use the actual Nvidia driver or the one the distribution recommended? The distribution ones are often generic drivers.

I tried to do it right from the install manager with the Nvidia driver but got a message saying it couldn't open so I too the recommended one.

Aux10
01-30-16, 03:18 PM
I tried to do it right from the install manager with the Nvidia driver but got a message saying it couldn't open so I too the recommended one.
There's your problem. Did you kill the x session and run it from the root terminal? The installer won't work if you don't do that. In some cases you may have to change the permissions to make it executable as well using the chmod command.

c303a
01-30-16, 04:25 PM
There's your problem. Did you kill the x session and run it from the root terminal? The installer won't work if you don't do that. In some cases you may have to change the permissions to make it executable as well using the chmod command.
HUH??? You have to realize that you are working with someone who is computer illerterate when it comes to Linux.;) I found the terminal but I can't get further. What command do I use to kill the session? I have the Nvidia driver on the desktop.

Aux10
01-30-16, 05:16 PM
HUH??? You have to realize that you are working with someone who is computer illerterate when it comes to Linux.;) I found the terminal but I can't get further. What command do I use to kill the session? I have the Nvidia driver on the desktop.

Here's some step by step instructions on what to do: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582154/how-to-install-nvidia-graphic-drivers-non-repository-install/

Try the instructions in the first post first. If that doesn't work try the ones in the second post. In my case I had to do the ones in the second post. Just remember, linux is case sensitive so if a file or folder has a capital letter in it, that letter must also be capitalized in the command.

c303a
01-30-16, 05:54 PM
I will go through the instructions tomorrow and see if I can break something. Thanks. Will let you know if it went through this old head.

Dave gpu
01-30-16, 08:24 PM
ill have to have u guys help me pick out what to use on my setup once i find a pair of waterblocks to fit my powercolor r9 280x's
right now its got a basic magicool 360 kit on just the cpu witht he tubing and compression fittings that came with the kit , the tubing was way to stiff to make nice so i decided im going to get acrylic tubing and make it all nice .

i just have no idea on what brands of fittings and tubing i should be buying
currently im also using primochill uv blue cooling fluid
this is before i installed the dual 280x's and the rm1000 psu
http://i.imgur.com/LkI3jNt.jpg

i do regret not buying the kit with the 460 rad , cause at the time i thought i was going to buy an r9 295x which came with its own radiator so by getting the 360 it would have let e fit it

and huge difference over my evo 212 , with the evo i was able to get 4.7ghz stable now im up a touch over 5ghz

If you are still looking ( http://www.performance-pcs.com/ ) they will help you pick the right parts:cool:

dave c
01-30-16, 08:44 PM
If you are still looking ( http://www.performance-pcs.com/ ) they will help you pick the right parts:cool:

thanks they have a ton of 280x water blocks , looks like i need to pop the cooler off one of my cards to figure out exactly which one i need to buy , the plexi/acrylic tubing on there site is hard to pick form some say compression fittings other say it takes special fittings but meanwhile it looks liek the same stuff

Dave gpu
01-30-16, 08:57 PM
thanks they have a ton of 280x water blocks , looks like i need to pop the cooler off one of my cards to figure out exactly which one i need to buy , the plexi/acrylic tubing on there site is hard to pick form some say compression fittings other say it takes special fittings but meanwhile it looks liek the same stuff

On web site you can use live support or phone will let you know the best parts to use .:cool:

dave c
01-30-16, 11:43 PM
i dont think i had crossfire setup right , went to play bf4 for the first time since i installed the second card and was only getting 12-13fps on high @ 1600x900, i just pulled one of the cards and will see how it does now

dave c
01-31-16, 12:07 AM
yup deff had something setup wrong , back to a single 280x on stock clocks and im getting an avg of 30fps with the single card on ultra , anyone know what i may have messed up?

FourOh
01-31-16, 04:29 PM
yup deff had something setup wrong , back to a single 280x on stock clocks and im getting an avg of 30fps with the single card on ultra , anyone know what i may have messed up?

What motherboard is this? Are your cards in the correct slots? If you have one in the wrong slot (wired for x4 versus x16), it expect it could cause this problem. Otherwise I'd be looking at the graphics drivers or PSU.

dave c
01-31-16, 07:10 PM
What motherboard is this? Are your cards in the correct slots? If you have one in the wrong slot (wired for x4 versus x16), it expect it could cause this problem. Otherwise I'd be looking at the graphics drivers or PSU.

gigabyte 970a d3sp

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5216#ov

rm 1000 should be plenty for this setup right even with the watercooling stuff

dave c
01-31-16, 08:52 PM
looks like one of my buddies spotted my issue , fo whatever reason i had both bridges connected .

FourOh
01-31-16, 09:16 PM
looks like one of my buddies spotted my issue , fo whatever reason i had both bridges connected .

You're running PCIe 2.0, and the 2nd slot is rated at x4... and those lanes are coming not from the 970 chipset but from the southbridge chip. Might not get great Crossfire performance, but it's worth a try! Hope you're OCing the heck out of your CPU!

dave c
01-31-16, 09:19 PM
You're running PCIe 2.0, and the 2nd slot is rated at x4... and those lanes are coming not from the 970 chipset but from the southbridge chip. Might not get great Crossfire performance, but it's worth a try! Hope you're OCing the heck out of your CPU!

running the cpu at just under 5ghz stock is 3.5 with 4ghz boost, could be the exscuse i need to buy a 990fx mobo

dave c
01-31-16, 10:33 PM
this is being a pain in the butt but im making progress avg is now 27-32 fps on ultra after removing one bridge and reinstalling the drivers , going to try one more thing

Shandia
04-25-16, 04:54 PM
Been working on this project for a couple of weeks. After losing a mobo and miners due to the rain/flood while it was still in pieces, It's now mostly finished and lives OUTSIDE! Not to mention.....it's mobile and can be carted to the laundry room to use the power THERE for a few hours.:ar! I'm still in need for a second mobo for this. Right now, I'm just happy to get the r-boxes out of the house. The heat is just crazy! http://magicalblondbimbo.tumblr.com/post/143392702616/my-project-its-full-blown-cpugpu-bonc-cruncher

Dave gpu
04-25-16, 05:11 PM
Been working on this project for a couple of weeks. After losing a mobo and miners due to the rain/flood while it was still in pieces, It's now mostly finished and lives OUTSIDE! Not to mention.....it's mobile and can be carted to the laundry room to use the power THERE for a few hours.:ar! I'm still in need for a second mobo for this. Right now, I'm just happy to get the r-boxes out of the house. The heat is just crazy! http://magicalblondbimbo.tumblr.com/post/143392702616/my-project-its-full-blown-cpugpu-bonc-cruncher

Very nice, I think 007 had one of those. Love it:cool:

Al
04-25-16, 05:20 PM
Ya know...that is just the coolest thing ever. Shandia, you are the Woman!

Shandia
04-25-16, 05:28 PM
Very nice, I think 007 had one of those. Love it:cool:

I'm still trying to get my old wireless dsl modem/router to work as a repeater/wireless card. When I get that part nailed down, I'll be free to take it anywhere that has wifi and a power socket I can use. If only I can mod the screen from my old dell laptop to work with it, I'd be in total business. Knowing the limitations of this, I designed one from scratch with a hard case. IF I can get a company interest6ed in actually making it, there will not ever be a need for a hardware tech to haul around a laptop and half a dozen things like drive dock, card reader and what not. The last thing I added was the fan qt the top. Was having serious heat issues before hand. I'll have to replace that fan asap due to breaking a few blades off while getting it to sit right. Something had to give.....fan blades or my nails. Getting my nails fixed would cost far more, Still, over the last month, I've broken 15 fans. Been a total bad month all around. Losing 2 mobos (gonna cost an arm and leg an lung and kidney and part of my liver to get a new P55 mobo with duel pci-e slots), many of my miners, the fans......gonna be a long time trying to recover.

FourOh
04-25-16, 05:56 PM

Very cool :cool: Crunch-Hacks by Shandia!

Fire$torm
04-27-16, 06:42 PM
Way Kool :-bd

Al
05-31-16, 08:13 AM
So, my wife spilled coffee and creamer into the keyboard of her laptop yesterday. So I upgraded her to a new laptop as this one is showing little life. I dismantled it and found hazelnut smelling creamer on pretty much every part. Looking for ideas on the best way to clean such a mess that would give it the best chance of resurrection.

Bryan
05-31-16, 08:42 AM
So, my wife spilled coffee and creamer into the keyboard of her laptop yesterday. So I upgraded her to a new laptop as this one is showing little life. I dismantled it and found hazelnut smelling creamer on pretty much every part. Looking for ideas on the best way to clean such a mess that would give it the best chance of resurrection.

Dishwasher?

Al
05-31-16, 08:46 AM
Dishwasher?
I was thinking more of an alcohol bath, but I doubt the dishwasher would do any more damage.

Bryan
05-31-16, 08:52 AM
Yes, alcohol and a soft brush would be the thing to try. Use something like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch painter's brush.

c303a
06-14-16, 06:20 PM
New build up and running. New I7 6700K, Asus Z170 ProGamer Motherboard, Liquid Cooler, 16gb GSkill 3000mhz memory, 2 WD black 1 TB Hdd, 1 Crucial 240 GB SSD. Just starting to load drivers and Boinc. Still havve to install 2x Evga GTX 960's.

c303a
06-16-16, 11:03 AM
OK here we go again. No gpu's detectedd. I have changed the gpu's (put in a couple of 570's), removed all nvieia drivers and re-installed the latest, re-installed Boinc with no results. Both gpu's show up in device manager and in MSI Afterburner. Here is part of the Boinc log:

6/17/2016 9:52:13 AM | | Starting BOINC client version 7.6.33 for windows_x86_64
6/17/2016 9:52:13 AM | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
6/17/2016 9:52:13 AM | | Libraries: libcurl/7.47.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.8
6/17/2016 9:52:13 AM | | Data directory: E:\ProgramData\BOINC
6/17/2016 9:52:13 AM | | Running under account c303a
6/17/2016 9:52:18 AM | | GPU detection failed. error code 255
6/17/2016 9:52:18 AM | | No usable GPUs found
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | app version refers to missing GPU type NVIDIA
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | GPUGRID | Application uses missing NVIDIA GPU
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | app version refers to missing GPU type NVIDIA
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | GPUGRID | Application uses missing NVIDIA GPU
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Version change (7.6.22 -> 7.6.33)
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Host name: MIKE-MAIN
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Processor: 8 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz [Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3]
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pni ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movebe popcnt aes f16c rdrandsyscall nx lm avx avx2 vmx tm2 pbe fsgsbase bmi1 hle smep bmi2
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | OS: Microsoft Windows 10: Professional x64 Edition, (10.00.14361.00)
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Memory: 15.94 GB physical, 31.94 GB virtual
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Disk: 931.39 GB total, 663.79 GB free
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Local time is UTC -5 hours
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Config: report completed tasks immediately
6/17/2016 9:52:19 AM | | Config: use all coprocessors

Mumps
06-16-16, 11:52 AM
There is discussion on the boinc_dev maillist that that is a known critical bug with 7.6.33. You'll need to get back to an older release of BOINC.

c303a
06-16-16, 12:02 PM
Thanks Mumps. Went back to 7.6.22 with the same results.

6/17/2016 10:57:35 AM | | Starting BOINC client version 7.6.22 for windows_x86_64
6/17/2016 10:57:35 AM | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
6/17/2016 10:57:35 AM | | Libraries: libcurl/7.45.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2d zlib/1.2.8
6/17/2016 10:57:35 AM | | Data directory: E:\ProgramData\BOINC
6/17/2016 10:57:35 AM | | Running under account c303a
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | GPU detection failed. error code 255
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | No usable GPUs found
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | app version refers to missing GPU type NVIDIA
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | GPUGRID | Application uses missing NVIDIA GPU
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | app version refers to missing GPU type NVIDIA
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | GPUGRID | Application uses missing NVIDIA GPU
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Version change (7.6.33 -> 7.6.22)
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Host name: MIKE-MAIN
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Processor: 8 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz [Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3]
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pni ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movebe popcnt aes f16c rdrandsyscall nx lm avx avx2 vmx tm2 pbe fsgsbase bmi1 hle smep bmi2
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | OS: Microsoft Windows 10: Professional x64 Edition, (10.00.14361.00)
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Memory: 15.94 GB physical, 31.94 GB virtual
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Disk: 931.39 GB total, 663.75 GB free
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Local time is UTC -5 hours
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Config: report completed tasks immediately
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | Config: use all coprocessors

scole of TSBT
06-16-16, 12:39 PM
Is it just GPUGrid that doesn't see it or the BoincClient? When BoincClient was started, did the Event Log show that it recognized the GPUs? Ok, I see that was the Boinc Client Event Log.

What version Nvidia driver. Maybe try an older one.

c303a
06-16-16, 12:50 PM
Is it just GPUGrid that doesn't see it or the BoincClient? When BoincClient was started, did the Event Log show that it recognized the GPUs?

Apparently it did not detect the gpu's. I am seeing both in device manager and MSI Afterburner.

6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | GPU detection failed. error code 255
6/17/2016 10:57:36 AM | | No usable GPUs found

scole of TSBT
06-16-16, 12:58 PM
What version Nvidia driver. Maybe try an older one.

c303a
06-16-16, 01:32 PM
Unstalled latest driver and went bact to driver from March with same results. Frustrated!

c303a
06-16-16, 03:45 PM
Started having BSOD with various error messages. Called Asus and put in about an hour on the phone. Turns out the driver disk is outdated as well as the Bios. The BIOS would not update. It took a lot of tries and going back to the old Bios before it took. Then I got more BSOD.errors. After calling support again it was decided that there has to be something wrong with the board. Called Newegg and got an RMA for the board on a return basis. I ordered an Asus ROG Maximus Ranger VIII board with 1 day shipping. Should have it tomorrow. Will see if that works.

STMahlberg
06-17-16, 08:43 PM
I don't know if you would call it an upgrade; however, I did find my other Radeon HD5870's and put them back in my main rig. Now I have 3 of them working on Milkyway. :D

c303a
06-18-16, 04:28 PM
I'm done trying to get Boinc to see my GPU's on this build. I have gone the driver route with new driver updates and old drivers, I've deleted Boinc and re-installed. I've switched video cards from the 960's to a 750ti to 570's. I've tried 1 gpu and 2 gpu's and nothing works. Still getting the same error 255 message. And I have gone to the project home pages to make sure the prefereences were set right although rebuilding a box wouldn't have any impact on that one. Just trying to cover everything. I went to the Boinc forums and theree is a lot of answers for ATI cards and Linus but not much on Nvidia.

Here is the log file. Maybe someone can come up with an answer. It is a shame to just run the CPU in this thing. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

6/18/2016 3:17:19 PM | | Starting BOINC client version 7.6.22 for windows_x86_64
6/18/2016 3:17:19 PM | | log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task
6/18/2016 3:17:19 PM | | Libraries: libcurl/7.45.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2d zlib/1.2.8
6/18/2016 3:17:19 PM | | Data directory: C:\ProgramData\BOINC
6/18/2016 3:17:19 PM | | Running under account c303a
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | GPU detection failed. error code 255
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | No usable GPUs found
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Host name: MIKE-MAIN
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Processor: 8 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz [Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3]
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Processor features: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss htt tm pni ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movebe popcnt aes f16c rdrandsyscall nx lm avx avx2 vmx tm2 pbe fsgsbase bmi1 hle smep bmi2
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | OS: Microsoft Windows 10: Professional x64 Edition, (10.00.14361.00)
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Memory: 15.92 GB physical, 31.92 GB virtual
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Disk: 223.08 GB total, 104.56 GB free
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Local time is UTC -5 hours
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Config: report completed tasks immediately
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Config: use all coprocessors
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | GPUGRID | URL http://www.gpugrid.net/; Computer ID 342385; resource share 100
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | Poem@Home | URL http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/; Computer ID 1541132; resource share 100
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | Poem@Home | Your current settings do not allow tasks from this project. To fix this, you can change Project Preferences on the project's web site.
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | World Community Grid | URL http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/; Computer ID 3389828; resource share 100
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | GPUGRID | General prefs: from GPUGRID (last modified 04-Feb-2016 12:28:01)
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | GPUGRID | Computer location: home
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | General prefs: using separate prefs for home
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Reading preferences override file
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | Preferences:
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | max memory usage when active: 8152.31MB
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | max memory usage when idle: 14674.17MB
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | max disk usage: 100.00GB
6/18/2016 3:17:20 PM | | (to change preferences, visit a project web site or select Preferences in the Manager)

dcushing
06-18-16, 04:41 PM
The problem is Win 10. That is why I run win7 for crunching.

c303a
06-18-16, 05:14 PM
The problem is Win 10. That is why I run win7 for crunching.

It was running great until I changed motherboard and cpu and I have 2 other boxes running win 10 with no problems. But I did just run gpu-z again for about the 10th time and now it is telling me that it "crashed at open cl detection" and that I should update drivers. I've done tis several times already.

Al
06-18-16, 05:48 PM
It was running great until I changed motherboard and cpu and I have 2 other boxes running win 10 with no problems. But I did just run gpu-z again for about the 10th time and now it is telling me that it "crashed at open cl detection" and that I should update drivers. I've done tis several times already.

Did you use something like Driver Fusion (https://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion/download) and CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) to remove all the old files and references to files? If you haven't, you might try that.

dcushing
06-18-16, 10:26 PM
Did you use something like Driver Fusion (https://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion/download) and CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) to remove all the old files and references to files? If you haven't, you might try that.

yes,checkmark "clean install" for the selection of nvidia drivers. It is located in "custom" when asked.
Also delete anything not pertinent to ur computer in c:/winidows/prefetch, before rebooting, so computer gets the latest stuff.

c303a
06-19-16, 11:27 AM
SUCCESS!!!! I used ccleaner then I used display driver uninstaller in safe mode and it removed everything. I then downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia and lo and behold I now have the 960;s running. Thanks all for all the excellent help as usual. Even though I have gone through this experience before I never thought to use another program to sweep away the remnants of the drivers. Thanks again and now I wil be able to see what this thing is capable of doing.

Al
06-19-16, 12:01 PM
SUCCESS!!!! I used ccleaner then I used display driver uninstaller in safe mode and it removed everything. I then downloaded the latest driver from Nvidia and lo and behold I now have the 960;s running. Thanks all for all the excellent help as usual. Even though I have gone through this experience before I never thought to use another program to sweep away the remnants of the drivers. Thanks again and now I wil be able to see what this thing is capable of doing.

Sweet! Those driver remnants can be a bastard! Glad you got it going. Let us hear your results.

trigggl
06-27-16, 02:01 PM
Don't know that this is an upgrade, but preceding what I'm getting ready to mention, I switched my SATA hard drive over to the motherboard that accepts a quad core after getting an upgrade from a team member. Since this is my only SATA drive and that is all my Dell Inspiron will accept, it was time to retire the Dell. I don't have a disc drive for it either.

After some thought, it seemed silly to me to sideline my fastest processor even if it's only a dual core. So, after much pain and suffering, I managed to make a diskless client out of it. It can get super slow if it has to write to the hard drive on the server frequently, but for most projects, you're using ram once the wu is started.

Shandia
07-29-16, 03:09 PM
Is this considered an upgrade???2480
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA 1150
Honestly, I was getting tired of messing with my socket 775 mobos and needed a replacement for my main.

c303a
07-29-16, 05:18 PM
If it walks like a duck etc......Guess it must be an upgrade. ;)

Shandia
07-30-16, 12:08 AM
Still trying to figure out if it walks. At first it would reboot about 2 seconds after starting the OS install. A little playing around in the bios and it was ok. Getting 10 on it,the last day of the free upgrade proved to be impossible.....at least it was until I found the right disk (the one I made last month and not the disk from last year) Now, it's rebooting whenever. As of right now, I'm not sure if it's Win 10 doing some ugly updates of system drivers, or if it's this antique psu that was a suspect in other computer crimes. Cpu-z shows it running at 4.5GHz and hasn't blinked in over an hour. I guess I'm stilll on the trail for parts to get it outfitted right.

Shandia
09-17-16, 10:08 AM
Finally making a little headway in the crunchers. My 1150 mobo is performing extremely well. Well enough to get me this. Phoenix is alive and well.....not really well.....more like a sickly well. I've managed to get her new EVGA P55 SLI board to work with a 450w power supply. It's an upgrade compared to her dead EVGA P55 LE board. I'll be in the market for more than a couple of good gpus and a new power supply. The question is, with 3 gpu slots on this board, do I want 2 or 3 gpus? I'll need to figure that out before I get a power supply. So far this year I've done good to get prepped2508 for next years P. If I can help it, someone's in for a rough ride. :ar!

STMahlberg
09-17-16, 10:43 AM
The question is, with 3 gpu slots on this board, do I want 2 or 3 gpus? I'll need to figure that out before I get a power supply.

I run (3) HD5870's on a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus motherboard and an Intel i7 4830K chip. My whole rig is overpowered with an Ultra 1200w PSU but I have put a meter on it and it pulls 665 watts running all out. I could probably get away with running a 750w PSU.

For a breakdown the rig with (1) GPU runs at about 400 watts; the other GPU's are about 130 watts a piece. So there are a few numbers to get you started.

Shandia
09-17-16, 11:24 AM
I run (3) HD5870's on a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus motherboard and an Intel i7 4830K chip. My whole rig is overpowered with an Ultra 1200w PSU but I have put a meter on it and it pulls 665 watts running all out. I could probably get away with running a 750w PSU.

For a breakdown the rig with (1) GPU runs at about 400 watts; the other GPU's are about 130 watts a piece. So there are a few numbers to get you started.

I did have a 1300w running it before the old board died. That 1300w replaced a 700w that didn't have enough power to run a 5850 and a gtx 580. I'm going to be putting at least a 280x and a 970 with the 1150 477k. That will free up one 5850 and one gtx 460. I'm sure I could get away with a 750w psu for now. I know it doesn't like the 450w. Every time I throw the turbo on, it will run for about an hour then will flake out running the cpu full throttle. If I try to ramp up the clock to what I usually run that cpu at, it's instant lights out the second the cpu gets a full load. I'll play around with an app to figure out the absolute biggest psu it will need and go from there. Running on a budget, it's not always easy to get gpus that are not power hungry. And whatever I do manage to get my hands on will most likely go in the next new build early next year.....with luck, it will all go down before the Pentathlon next year. I'm not going to show up again without some horsepower. lol

edit -- 2488 W -- wahahaha! I know that's a totally unrealistic number. I do tend to go over power so I can piggy back my miners. It does look the smallest I'm going with is another 1300w just to give me a little cushion.

John P. Myers
09-18-16, 01:27 AM

1200W pulling 665W is more efficient. If you dropped to a 750W PSU, you would pull more than 665W from the wall to power everything.

Shandia
09-18-16, 04:51 AM
1200W pulling 665W is more efficient. If you dropped to a 750W PSU, you would pull more than 665W from the wall to power everything.

That's what I was thinking. I know we had this discussion when I found out my 700w was 50w to low to power the gtx 580 by itself. Recommended was 860w. Figuring in the hd 5850, it went up to 1000w. The only reason I wound up with the 1300w was that it was on sale on newegg for 129 and was less than the 1200w. I really can't complain about it. It powers just about everything under the sun including 2 monarchs with my 1150 at the same time. I haven't really looked at the numbers that the nvidia cards are pulling now. I do know, it will be getting one just to have a balanced system. Something that is at least Compute 4.x or better. I'm guessing the Evga P55 sli pulls quite a bit of power. I tried plugging in a 460, Board went dead. Put my hd 5770 back in it....booted, ran at full load, rebooted and changed the core v by one click. Board went dead. Until the psu is resolved, I'll be walking a tightrope for at least until January,.

MindCrime
10-20-16, 07:47 PM
Well I've had a new unused Antec Kuhler H2O 650 sitting on my desk for almost a year now. It was suppose to go onto the 7970 but I never got around to it considering the shim, install and possible leakage worries.

Yesterday I noticed CPU temps on the 3770k almost hitting 80c, without even hitting 75% utilization, 2-3 CPU WUs + GPU. I noticed the cooler, which was already installed when I bought the machine, wasn't actually secured that well. It's a monster of a cooler, a tunic tower 120 extreme (http://tuniq.com.tw/images/product/120extreme/Gallery-big/silver/best-cpu-cooler-3.jpg), and the attaching hardware is difficult to get to and apply decent torque without specialized tools. After removing the cooler I can see a less than desired thermal compound application, tons on one side and what looked to be a dry spot as if it was never in contact.

In goes the h2o 650, many of you have installed these AIO liquid coolers, their install can be a pain. Setting up the brackets for the 1155 I go to install the first cold plate mounting screw and a little dribble of luiqid just walks out of the cold plate head and onto the mobo...WTF?!?!? It came out as I was trying to install that first screw which was a tough angle to get by the hoses. The hoses attach to the pump head at 90deg fittings that can swivel. I imagine I put too much pressure on the fitting trying to get the screw lined up. No more fluid came out, it didn't exactly feel like water but it also didn't have a smell. I dried up the fluid continued the install of just the cold plate, removed all ram but 1 stick, removed 7970. I layed the rig with the motherboard face down over a few sheets of newspaper to detect leaks and with the radiator/fan/pump positioned outside the case sitting on the desk. I turned the rig on and it beeped at me for ram or gpu missing, so now its sitting there going on about 1 hour just to verify no leaks and break it in hopefully. I believe FourOh had a bad experience with an AIO was it a Kuhler?

Leak came from this area

nanoprobe
10-21-16, 03:03 PM
I upgraded from this:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/nanoprobe/IMG_04201_zpsa9qxax62.jpg

To this:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/nanoprobe/IMG_04871_zps5t3wlajf.jpg :D

MindCrime
10-22-16, 05:27 PM
What do you think of the Polaris vs the Harley quality?

nanoprobe
10-22-16, 06:28 PM
Time will tell. So far so good. The workmanship looks excellent. I've read where there have been some issues with their chrome plating not wearing well but I'm not really concerned about that. It will be garage kept and covered. I can say that the Indian is way more comfortable to ride for me. It also handles much better which is huge because I'm a small guy. I find it's also better ergonomically designed for the driver and rider IMHO. All that being said my Harley was a 2004 and things have come a long way since then. I did test ride a couple of the 2017 Harley's and was not impressed enough to buy one. One ride on the Indian was enough. One of my favorite things about the Indian is that the entire tour package can be removed by 1 person in about 30 seconds. It takes about 2 minutes if you have the anti-theft hooked up. The trunk and both bags lock with the key fob. I spent some extra money for a 5 year unlimited mileage front to back warranty which covers everything except normal wear stuff so I'm set to go 'till then.

MindCrime
10-23-16, 05:10 PM
Time will tell. So far so good. The workmanship looks excellent. I've read where there have been some issues with their chrome plating not wearing well but I'm not really concerned about that. It will be garage kept and covered. I can say that the Indian is way more comfortable to ride for me. It also handles much better which is huge because I'm a small guy. I find it's also better ergonomically designed for the driver and rider IMHO. All that being said my Harley was a 2004 and things have come a long way since then. I did test ride a couple of the 2017 Harley's and was not impressed enough to buy one. One ride on the Indian was enough. One of my favorite things about the Indian is that the entire tour package can be removed by 1 person in about 30 seconds. It takes about 2 minutes if you have the anti-theft hooked up. The trunk and both bags lock with the key fob. I spent some extra money for a 5 year unlimited mileage front to back warranty which covers everything except normal wear stuff so I'm set to go 'till then.

I was never a big fan of harley's lack of forward engineering and I think your test ride speaks to that. Glad you got something you like with peace of mind.

Mumps
03-20-17, 02:30 PM

So, have you made it to Kodi 17.1 and Exodus yet? I just bought a ChromeCast 2 over the weekend and finally decided to install the Kodi Android App on my tablet. Happy Camper is a good way to put it. :)

zombie67
03-20-17, 06:17 PM
My favorite anime of all time. I own the DVDs. Best intro EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw3fN3OPk3A

Edit: Oh yeah, that's right. I posted this video in the music thread TWICE. :rolleyes:

Fire$torm
03-25-17, 10:30 AM
So, have you made it to Kodi 17.1 and Exodus yet? I just bought a ChromeCast 2 over the weekend and finally decided to install the Kodi Android App on my tablet. Happy Camper is a good way to put it. :)

Actually.... no. I've sorta taken a break from Kodi as it can be temperamental with the recent changes. I'll give it another go when it has matured a little more.