PDA

View Full Version : SLI on or off

artemis8
04-20-15, 05:03 PM
Can anyone tell me, should I turn SLI off since its 2 processes one on each card?
Thanks!

Maxwell
04-20-15, 05:09 PM
Based on experiences with AMD cards, turn it off. Keeping it on forces the cards to talk to each other, which eats up resources that could be used for crunching.

Of course, that advice is several years old and based on different technology, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

FourOh
04-20-15, 05:15 PM
When the physical SLI/Crossfire bridge is in place, can the effect be disabled by software? Or do you have to remove the bridge?

I've never had an SLI setup, but I'm thinking of adding another GTX 970 and maybe using SLI for gaming :D

Shadowlurker
04-20-15, 05:31 PM
Back when I had a pair of 570's I had less problems when I disabled SLI and I actually removed the bridge. That was a couple years back though so your mileage may vary.

Maxwell
04-20-15, 05:42 PM
When the physical SLI/Crossfire bridge is in place, can the effect be disabled by software? Or do you have to remove the bridge?

I've never had an SLI setup, but I'm thinking of adding another GTX 970 and maybe using SLI for gaming :D
At least with AMD, you can disable it via software. I suspect the same for NVidia. I usually did just remove the bridge, though, if I didn't need it.

Aux10
04-21-15, 03:19 PM
You can turn off SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel. It's just worded strangely. You'd think they'd have a little tick box Labeled SLI yes? No that's too obvious. They have it labeled: "Maximize 3D Performance". IDK who the hell came up with that but I think they shouldn't be allowed to design user interfaces any more.

FourOh
04-21-15, 04:15 PM
Thanks. I just looked at my Newegg wishlist and the EVGA 970 SSC ACX 2.0 is $320 after rebate - the lowest it's ever been according to PCPartPicker. I think I paid $40 more in January. So I basically HAD to buy one, right :p

I'm looking forward to seeing what the 970 can do in SLI, but more importantly I'll have both of them up and running for the Pentathlon :D