PDA

View Full Version : Power Surges Killed UPS and Server

Slicker
06-09-15, 06:52 PM
A power surge took out the UPS. Then , after bypassing it, another just a couple minutes later took out the server. I don't know yet whether it trashed the PSU or MB but there is no power at all. I had just finished releasing the new Collatz Sieve app for AMD and nVidia GPUs. Murphy's law....

Bryan
06-09-15, 08:36 PM
Damn Slicker, if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. Sorry to hear about the problems.

Fire$torm
06-09-15, 09:44 PM
That bites. Anything we can do to help?

Slicker
06-09-15, 10:11 PM
If it is just the PSU, I should have it back up and running tomorrow. Otherwise, it is going to take some time.

cineon_lut
06-09-15, 10:38 PM
Let's start a bitcoin utopia drive for slickers ups!

Vic (mobile)

zombie67
06-09-15, 10:52 PM
Slicker has said in the past that he wants to do this on his own. I am on board with donations and.or bitcoin campaign, if he changes his mind.

cineon_lut
06-10-15, 04:01 AM
Slicker has said in the past that he wants to do this on his own. I am on board with donations and.or bitcoin campaign, if he changes his mind.

@Slicker…what kind of PSU is it? Maybe one of us has one in the parts bins.

Also, with the UPS, is it just the battery or the whole electronics that are fried? Replacing batteries is a snap and cheap if you buy aftermarket.

Slicker
06-10-15, 10:20 AM
I'm going to pick up a new PSU at MicroCenter in the next hour or so (actually two so I'll have a spare). As far as UPS, the electronics are toast. It would have been nice if it had died last week since I hauled an entire SUV load of electronic waste to the e-dump.

Slicker
06-10-15, 01:18 PM
Hurray!!!! The new PSU was the only thing wrong. 33% more power and an 80+ rating for the new new Corsair modular PSU. Also, I replaced one of the case fan since my belief is that once they start making noise, it is only a matter of time before the bearings wear out completely. So, since it was opened up anyway...

Justgeo1
06-10-15, 07:16 PM
Good to hear it was "only" the PSU and not the MB! Hope you can get everything up and running real soon!