PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

zombie67
08-04-15, 04:01 PM
Win 10 is out now. Free upgrade for any win7 or win8 users.

Has anyone tried it out with BOINC yet? Does it work? Any issues? Is there a minimum version of BOINC required? Did they change the directory locations? Is there any special trick needed to see to navigate to the BOINC directories?

Bok
08-04-15, 04:04 PM
I've been using it for a while with no issues. No changes to BOINC dir's everything works well. Only thing I had to do was re-install the WinUSB drivers but that was smooth.

I actually like it too, hated win 8, but this is much better. Some horror stories about privacy and such though.

c303a
08-04-15, 06:16 PM
Works fine with no changes but as Bok said, beware of the privacy issues and make sure you install it with the "customize" option and not the normal M$ install. You can turn off a lot of items but if you want to use some of the new features you must have an M$ account set up and if you want "Cortana" you have to share your location.
You do have 30 days to try it and then you can retreat to your old install through "recovery" and uninstall it if you don't like it.

zombie67
08-04-15, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info.

WRT privacy, google already knows everything about me, one way or another. I have already resigned myself to that. If I want something private, it must stay air-gapped, or E2E encrypted. Otherwise, I assume companies have the info, and therefore the government knows it.

Bok
08-04-15, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info.

WRT privacy, google already knows everything about me, one way or another. I have already resigned myself to that. If I want something private, it must stay air-gapped, or E2E encrypted. Otherwise, I assume companies have the info, and therefore the government knows it.

I hear ya

zombie67
08-04-15, 10:46 PM
FYI for those trying to upgrade a VMware installation. The upgrade within windows method fails due to a SVGA 3D issue. Instead of that, you need to install the ISO and go from there.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2126929

artemis8
08-06-15, 10:44 AM
I am loving Windows 10, it runs MUCH better than 8 for me with BOINC.

Al
08-06-15, 07:13 PM
I use win7 and am happy with it. Any particularly driving reason I should change to 10?

Maxwell
08-06-15, 07:35 PM
I use win7 and am happy with it. Any particularly driving reason I should change to 10?
10 is 3 better than 7. =)) =))

I'm in your boat - I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. I have no intention to change anytime soon.

zombie67
08-06-15, 08:15 PM
No urgent reason. But the free upgrade offer expires in a year.

Edit: And win7 support will end eventually.

shiva
08-07-15, 12:44 AM
I upgraded 1 today, have 3 more in Q and 2 that I haven't been able to get windows to let it pass. I was working on 4 downloads of windows up grades to get it to work so maybe I screwed something on them. will work on it tomorrow, maybe.

zombie67
08-11-15, 01:43 AM
Here is a tip:

Many OSes require the user to log in. When we have dedicated crunchers, we want them to boot and go right back to crunching after something like a power outage. This is how to get win10 to skip that. Of course, don't use this unless you are sure no one else has physical access to the machine.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

dcushing
08-11-15, 05:38 PM
I wont go to windows 10... What will happen after your years subscription is up?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/much-windows-10-cost-time-151702409.html

zombie67
08-11-15, 06:26 PM
Naw. He's just plain wrong. It's not a subscription. Nothing expires.

The "one year" thing is the period for which you qualify for a free upgrade. If you wait more than a year, you will have to buy it, just like normal.

Shandia
08-11-15, 11:15 PM
Right now I've upgraded 2 of 3 that can upgrade. Of course, I've upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and left the 8 alone. I really have no issues crunching on any version. It's more or less getting rid of the oldest OS first based on product support. I have one directly linked to my Microsoft account and one that is on a local account. I'll be taking time to finish up dealing with my downloading my apps with the one using My Microsoft account and then taking the second one and linking it with my Microsoft account so a proper link can be established and allow me to get my apps on that one too. After all is said and done, I usually only switch to my account over to my Microsoft account is for the use of the store. My main is the only one that I prefer to leave connected to my Microsoft account and is a real pain to have to log in each time. But I find it less of a hassle than have to change user accounts each time I need to do something that requires me the use of mail, the store or Microsoft Office.

The biggest benefit of upgrading right now is that even with the hype of needing legit copy of the previous OS, Microsoft has backed off from that stance unofficially. One of those systems I upgraded had Vista on it until I upgraded to 7 with a hack. Windows 10 did with the downloaded updates what Microsoft said it wouldn't do. And that is installing a full legit copy of 10 Pro over an illegal copy of 7 Pro. Now that 10 Pro is tied to that system and am not dealing with the restrictions that have been preached for weeks and months, I have the freedom to turn off much of the tracking stuff that is embedded into 10.

If you have multiple drives in your system like I do, now is the time to go ahead and tie the association of a computer to Windows 10 to have the unrestricted and legit version bound to that computer ID before Microsoft changes it's mind and goes back to dictating upgrade terms to the masses.

c303a
08-12-15, 10:40 AM
Here is a tip:

Many OSes require the user to log in. When we have dedicated crunchers, we want them to boot and go right back to crunching after something like a power outage. This is how to get win10 to skip that. Of course, don't use this unless you are sure no one else has physical access to the machine.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

I tried this and it works well. I have done it to all my boxes and now I don't have to log in everytime I reboot. Thanks.

DrBackJack
08-12-15, 04:14 PM
I went ahead an tried the windows 10 upgrade.
What the heck ?

As soon as cache is done, I'm wiping the drive and putting 7 back on.
It's too much computer time to try to learn all this stuff and so many things are added I'll never use.
Not to mention trying to find things. What a mess !
TeamSpeak 3 will be down until this is fixed.
Boinc works ok at least and it didn't drop the cache upgrading ;)

c303a
08-12-15, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=DrBackJack;98931]I went ahead an tried the windows 10 upgrade.
What the heck ?

As soon as cache is done, I'm wiping the drive and putting 7 back on.
It's too much computer time to try to learn all this stuff and so many things are added I'll never use.
Not to mention trying to find things. What a mess !
TeamSpeak 3 will be down until this is fixed.
Boinc works ok at least and it didn't drop the cache upgrading ;)[/QUOTEYou have 30 days to do a recovery from "settings" to go back to your old OS> No need to wipe it clean and start over.

shiva
08-13-15, 05:15 PM
I have 3 of the 5 that I can upgraded to 10 and will do the other 2 as soon as I can. I'm not seeing any problem but then I'm not the power user some of you are. I get tired of using 4 or 5 different oses.

Fire$torm
08-15-15, 10:37 PM
Just an FYI:

1) In order for the "Free Win10 Upgrade Icon" to appear in your Win7 SystemTray, you must have Win7 SP-1 (Service Pack 1) installed.
2) When you DL your free Win10 upgrade as an ISO image (to burn to DVD or imaged on a thumbdrive), your license key is integrated into the image. So Never lose/delete that image file, or you will have to pay for Win10 after the free upgrade period has expired.

cineon_lut
08-16-15, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. @f$

If you have enterprise (volume license) then you don't get the upgrade.

Vic (mobile)

Al
08-18-15, 09:53 PM
I'm willing to give 10 a shot on my old laptop. It's a dual boot system now, Win7/Linux. If the upgrade goes badly I'll still be able to use the Linux OS. Yes! I'm a skeptic.

How long is the wait from Reserving Win 10 till it actually shows up for install?

Ron Shurtz
08-18-15, 10:48 PM
I got tired of waiting for the download to happen.

Microsoft provides an ISO file you can burn to DVD or expand to a USB drive.
They say this way a tech savvy person can download it once and install it on many machines.
The image is not machine specific and does not have a key embedded in it.
Instead it appears to use the hardware address of the motherboard to create a unique instance to send back to Microsoft to authenticate.

Here is the web site I used to successfully download an ISO image.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You first download a downloader, run it, and then pick the version of Windows 10 you want to download.
Don't download the combined 32 and 64 bit version if you want to transfer the ISO file to a DVD. It is too large (5.8 GB).

Don't download versions with an "N" in them.
They are for European installs.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/what-are-windows-10-n-and-kn-editions

You won't need a Windows live account to install or use Windows 10 if you don't want to.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4260/windows-10-drops-reliance-on-microsoft-account

I made a DVD from the download and upgraded one Windows 7 machine so far with it.
It went very smooth, but the machine had very few applications on it since it was built from scrap to be an auxiliary cruncher during competitions. :D

zombie67
08-18-15, 11:22 PM
Just a reminder, win10 gives you 30 days to revert to your previous OS. No need to wipe the disk and reinstall if you don't like it.

Al
08-19-15, 11:23 AM
I'll have to download it twice if I like it. The laptop is Win7 Home Premium so I'll just upgrade that one. The rest of my computers are Ultimate and I'll make the Win 10 Pro USB installer for those. Patience is not one of my virtues, so I'll download them instead of waiting. Thanks for the tips Ron.

Shandia
08-19-15, 09:37 PM
Oh good grief! I just spent a little time tweaking the install on my we4e computer. Much of what I wanted to do is now done. I was so looking forward to finalizing the migration of boinc and all the goodness to make this totally do-able. But alas, every time I boot, it says no amd drivers are installed. Windows says I need a bios update. Yeah, like I'd trust an OS for the right answer. I'm actually in the middle of following one article on the amd support forum and uninstalling everything amd, deleting everything amd, using the new ddu and all that. Ok, instead of doing the first reboot, I told it to shut down. (break time!) I went ahead and went to the directory of the forum where this solution was given. The number of problems that have come with windows 10 release is just overwhelming! Sometimes someone figures out a fix after trial and error, sometimes that fix doesn't work for others. It appears at this early stage, it's a real grab bag if things go perfectly. I'm happy that my main didn't go through this. Then again, I didn't check to see if boinc actually worked. I was more concerned with the nvidia card and the miners before changing drives to continue my crunching in Windows 8.

Those who have had no issues, be very grateful. To those with issues, give it a few months. I am pretty much beside myself seeing the problems mainly due to the fact I had my volume license version of Windows 8 a month before the official release and had no problems with drivers. I'll get back to the wee one and do the hokey pokey and we'll see if boinc will run on it. If it won't the time I lose is on me messing with it and not doing a total re-install of 7 or 8.

Al
08-19-15, 10:13 PM
Well, 10 is now on my laptop and I have to say, I don't hate it. It migrated 8000 photos and 4000 iTunes songs to its music and photo section without an issue. The iTunes compressed songs even play, though I prefer the iTunes interface. Boinc picked up right where I shut it down. I even like the File Manager...first time open and it highlighted my Boinc Directories for one click access. So far so good with every program I've tried and there are a lot on this laptop.

Alas, a big share of the features will not be available as I'll forgo an MSN Account. I also turned off all reporting to M$ and set Firefox as my default browser. Basically, for me, it's a more eye appealing version of Win7, with a longer shelf life.

Bryan
08-19-15, 11:02 PM
Does it have a "desktop" mode like Win8. I can't stand the touchy feely Win8 inteface on this laptop. I boot into the desktop and leave it there unless I have no other option.

One of my pet peeves when I worked at HP was when someone would ask you to bring up something and then they would "point" to something on the screen. They couldn't just point, they had to leave their damn greasy finger prints all over the glass. So why would I want to do that to my own screens? This laptop does have touch capability but I have it disabled. There are some tricks old dogs just refuse to learn =))

Al
08-19-15, 11:11 PM
Does it have a "desktop" mode like Win8. I can't stand the touchy feely Win8 inteface on this laptop. I boot into the desktop and leave it there unless I have no other option.

One of my pet peeves when I worked at HP was when someone would ask you to bring up something and then they would "point" to something on the screen. They couldn't just point, they had to leave their damn greasy finger prints all over the glass. So why would I want to do that to my own screens? This laptop does have touch capability but I have it disabled. There are some tricks old dogs just refuse to learn =))
Aside from the icons looking a bit different my desktop looks about the same. When you click the start button it starts to look a bit different, but nothing like Win8...it has a Start Menu and everything! At the same time, you can tell that it was designed with a tablet in mind, though I use my mouse like always as my laptop has no touch capability.

Al
08-20-15, 09:55 AM
Update-
iTunes - Works!
TeamViewer - Works!
NetFlix - Works!
Vbox - Failed! Not supported under Win 10, but might only need a reinstall.
Boinc - Works, though I haven't tested the gpu crunching because it's crappy at best on this laptop.
USB/CD - Works!

Better than I expected, I must say.

zombie67
08-20-15, 10:17 AM
Does it have a "desktop" mode like Win8.

Win10 detects the kind of machine it is on, and sets it accordingly. If you are on a normal PC, then you get a normal desktop. If you are on a tablet, it will give you a touch-centric desktop (I think).

Mumps
08-20-15, 03:07 PM
Actually, VBox 5 was released last month and the Release notes indicate they added Window 10 support.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

The 5.0 release supports the latest guest or host operating systems including: Mac OS X Yosemite, Windows 10, Oracle Linux, Oracle Solaris, other Linux operating systems, and legacy operating systems.

Shandia
08-21-15, 02:58 AM
Ok! Lets see who's been paying attention in class! I know Windows 10 does it's own thing when it comes to updates. I'm trying to get this video card to work in my wee computer. I don't have the time or the patience to let Windows 10 hang out for an indefinite amount of time hoping that it somehow manages to update. The latest set of instructions from just 3 days ago say to make sure to have windows 10 updated before installing. Um......alrighty! Anyone know of a way to force windows 10 to update or the set schedule on when I should shoot for to allow it to update on it's own? Until this situation is fixed, there is no way I'm gonna crunch with 10. Would lose too much gpu time in the mix waiting for something that may or may not happen anytime within the next year.

zombie67
08-21-15, 10:31 AM
Start menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows update -> Check for updates

Shandia
08-26-15, 01:48 AM
Start menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows update -> Check for updates

Hahahaha! That's a good one. Windows update is not listed in any of my installs of 10.

c303a
08-26-15, 11:03 AM
In the lower right hand corner you have an icon that is square and has lines running through it. Click on it and you will see several items that you can look at. One of them is updates and security. Just click and it will give you the updates.

Al
09-17-15, 10:41 AM
Update-
iTunes - Works!
TeamViewer - Works!
NetFlix - Works!
Vbox - Failed! Not supported under Win 10, but might only need a reinstall.
Boinc - Works, though I haven't tested the gpu crunching because it's crappy at best on this laptop.
USB/CD - Works!

Better than I expected, I must say.
Alas, I still prefer Win7 as crunching goes down every day on Win10 and it keeps giving me memory low messages, which isn't actually true. I'm reverting back to Win7. Apparently all this newness isn't for me. BTW, reverting did FUBAR my iTunes installation, but everything else seems okay.

Edit: Caution! If there is ANY chance you will revert back to a previous version of Windows, DO NOT upgrade any software. I did this with iTunes and it caused problems that could not be resolved except by returning to Windows 10. So I've got it whether I want it or not on this laptop because that's where all my music was stored.