03-01-11, 10:39 PM
*Drooling* ... http://www.anandtech.com/show/4200/amd-teases-radeon-hd-6990 :D

I want 1..... no make that 2!

joker
03-01-11, 10:41 PM
You should buy 3 of them! :)

Maxwell
03-01-11, 11:16 PM
You would think they could do some design where it wouldn't vent so heavily into the case...

But yeah. Me likey...:cool:

Dandasarge
03-02-11, 08:38 AM
Who can afford these things?

Fire$torm
03-02-11, 11:29 AM
Who can afford these things?

Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and Steve Jobs.......

Crazybob
03-04-11, 11:03 AM
No HDMI, only mini HDMI. Better crunch really good.

Fire$torm
03-04-11, 12:58 PM
No HDMI, only mini HDMI. Better crunch really good.

I believe you are mistaken. The card has 1x DL-DVI + 4x mini DisplayPorts which are used in ATI's Eyefinity Technology.

Edit: Just found more info here. (http://www.techspot.com/news/42630-amd-radeon-hd-6990-specs-leaked-rumored-for-march-8.html)

John P. Myers
03-08-11, 01:50 AM
$699

by flipping the switch for the built-in overclock, it speeds it up to 880MHz, changes vcore from 1.12v to 1.175v, SP raises from 5.1 to 5.4 TFLOPS, and power draw increases to 450W. Yummy.

John P. Myers
03-08-11, 01:56 AM
You would think they could do some design where it wouldn't vent so heavily into the case...

But yeah. Me likey...:cool:

"The central fan pulls heat from the rearmost GPU, pushing that air over the front GPU. Since all the video connectors are mounted on one side of the double-wide PCI bracket, the other bracket side becomes a full-height exhaust vent"

Maxwell
03-08-11, 02:26 AM
"The central fan pulls heat from the rearmost GPU, pushing that air over the front GPU. Since all the video connectors are mounted on one side of the double-wide PCI bracket, the other bracket side becomes a full-height exhaust vent"
Really? I'm not an engineer or anything remotely like that, but that seems counter intuitive to me...

John P. Myers
03-08-11, 01:10 PM
Really? I'm not an engineer or anything remotely like that, but that seems counter intuitive to me...

True, but if the fan was at the end of the card, it would still push the same air over the 2nd GPU that had already passed over the first. If the airflow is high enough, it should do a decent (definitely not great) job. I'm sure if anyone releases a waterblock for this card, they'll sell like hotcakes.

Maxwell
03-08-11, 03:39 PM
The cooling aspect I understand - what I'm failing to understand is how a fan in the center of the card blowing up pulls from the back and throws it out the front.

Of course, this is probably why they put me in a psych program not the engineering area...

John P. Myers
03-08-11, 07:15 PM
The cooling aspect I understand - what I'm failing to understand is how a fan in the center of the card blowing up pulls from the back and throws it out the front.

Of course, this is probably why they put me in a psych program not the engineering area...

Agreed. It makes no sense at all. A fan can't pull from the right side and push to the left unless it's aimed to the left, which it is not. Or unless the blades switch direction while on the righthand side, then switch back when they rotate through the lefthand side. They do not. It sits flat. Which brings up another piece of evidence that quote was false. If the fan is pulling from the right, shouldn't the window the fan sits in be sealed so there's no suction loss from turbulence?

Answer: the fan pulls in air from this window and ejects air out of the back AND front of the card into the case. Common sense tells us so :) Nice try, AMD spokesperson. Put your engineering degree back in the Cracker Jack box where you found it.

Edit: There's also now a question of whether flipping the switch to increase clock speed on this card voids the warranty. AMD isn't clear on this in their policy. Their warranty states that they're not responsible for any and damage caused by using clock speeds above factory settings, but technically, their built-in OC switch is a factory setting, but they don't clearly define this as being the case. We'll have to wait and see if they clear up the confusion.

Maxwell
03-08-11, 11:10 PM
So I'm not smoking crack... thanks, JPM!

And yeah - that lack of clarity on the warranty needs to be fixed. I'd hate to told to screw myself because I was doing things AMD specifically lets me do...

joker
03-08-11, 11:43 PM
So I'm not smoking crack...

This time.......................

Maxwell
03-08-11, 11:49 PM
This time.......................
Even stopped clocks are right twice a day...

Dandasarge
03-09-11, 01:36 PM
Ok I put the long answer away, This is the short; If you don’t use stock CPU coolers on your main processor why would you on your video cards? Everyone knows stock cooling sucks. It doesn’t matter what its on. The #1 reason for death of these dang lead free systems is heat.

John P. Myers
03-09-11, 03:57 PM
Ok I put the long answer away, This is the short; If you don’t use stock CPU coolers on your main processor why would you on your video cards? Everyone knows stock cooling sucks. It doesn’t matter what its on. The #1 reason for death of these dang lead free systems is heat.

Err...i actually have my CPU liquid cooled, but not my GPUs. Why? Expensive. I could purchase waterblocks to cool 3 CPUs for the price of 1 GPU. Not to mention radiator upgrades. You need a minimum of a 3x120 rad to cool 1 CPU and 1 GPU. I recently upgraded to a 3x120, but i have 3 GPUs so bleh

Dandasarge
03-09-11, 05:00 PM
Err...i actually have my CPU liquid cooled, but not my GPUs. Why? Expensive. I could purchase waterblocks to cool 3 CPUs for the price of 1 GPU. Not to mention radiator upgrades. You need a minimum of a 3x120 rad to cool 1 CPU and 1 GPU. I recently upgraded to a 3x120, but i have 3 GPUs so bleh

Sometimes I think it would take a mechanic to figure out computer cooling. You can’t think 3-120mm you have to think in inches like 12”-14” on a geo metro radiator. Why water cooling guys dont use car AC heat exchangers is beond me.

John P. Myers
03-09-11, 05:33 PM
Sometimes I think it would take a mechanic to figure out computer cooling. You can’t think 3-120mm you have to think in inches like 12”-14” on a geo metro radiator. Why water cooling guys dont use car AC heat exchangers is beond me.

i want to. and i've given it alot of thought. we actually talked about it extensively in the old forum. but not ready to hack up my case yet to try and mount one. and sticking it somewhere not attached to the case is just kinda tacky :p

Dandasarge
03-09-11, 09:19 PM
i want to. and i've given it alot of thought. we actually talked about it extensively in the old forum. but not ready to hack up my case yet to try and mount one. and sticking it somewhere not attached to the case is just kinda tacky :p

you just inspired me. thanks

rgathright
03-10-11, 09:00 AM

I built a Dodge Dakota race truck that used two Chevy S-10 heater cores and a total of four Danger Den waterblocks with 100watt Peltier coolers to create freezing water. Why? I used copper lines attached to the fuel rail to make the gasoline injected into the 4.7L V8 super cold.

The truck ran a 14.5 second 1/4 mile without fuel rail cooling.

I was able to run a 14.1 second 1/4 mile with the system on.

So yeah, long story made short, I see no reason why people don't use cheap $20 automotive heater cores on their water cooling systems. :D

rgathright
03-10-11, 09:01 AM

Why not mount the heater core up against the output of a window air conditioner? :D

Dandasarge
03-10-11, 09:31 AM
Why not mount the heater core up against the output of a window air conditioner? :D

you missed the remote mount issue. There are photos online of people doing that. all kinds of places. Hell i've seen rack systems in deep frezzers. OC guys are crazy about speed.

John P. Myers
03-10-11, 10:22 AM

and i don't have window air conditionng. central unit here. and it's winter so it wouldn't be running anyway lol

DrPop
03-10-11, 12:09 PM
Ha! So...you guys know any way to do this easily? There's a lot of mounting holes on the top of my HAF-932 case. I could probably work some kind of system out, and it's in a back room, so who cares what it looks like. :D

dan
03-20-11, 08:21 AM
You should buy 3 of them! :)

Ah you know most residential electrical systems have 15 amp circuits that can only push 1600 Watts. With three I'd start getting concerned that turning a TV on in the same circuit would pop the circuit breaker. Don't know what the power consumption of three 6990s, plus CPUs, disks, etc would be. My two boxes with a GTX 580 and ATI 5870 are nearing a 1,000 watts.

You could always look for a 20 amp circuit. They are usually in your bathroom or kitchen:))

Mumps
03-20-11, 10:11 AM
Ah you know most residential electrical systems have 15 amp circuits that can only push 1600 Watts. With three I'd start getting concerned that turning a TV on in the same circuit would pop the circuit breaker. Don't know what the power consumption of three 6990s, plus CPUs, disks, etc would be. My two boxes with a GTX 580 and ATI 5870 are nearing a 1,000 watts.

You could always look for a 20 amp circuit. They are usually in your bathroom or kitchen:))

Or latch onto your circuit for your electric stove or washer/dryer. The breaker for my dryer is 50 Amp@208. That would net you about 10,000 watts available. :) (As long as you change the dryer over to gas.)

:D =)) =)) =))

Fire$torm
03-20-11, 01:02 PM

Or latch onto your circuit for your electric stove or washer/dryer. The breaker for my dryer is 50 Amp@208. That would net you about 10,000 watts available. :) (As long as you change the dryer over to gas.)

:D =)) =)) =))

Well, if you own the house and are not afraid of doing simple electrical work. Replace the 15A breaker with a 20A breaker. Most modern breaker boxes are modular. There are several different standards/styles that are not interchangable so you would need to match the 20A unit to the 15A it is replacing. Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware all carry hardware for most of the breaker boxes used.

Mumps
03-20-11, 04:07 PM
Well, if you own the house and are not afraid of doing simple electrical work. Replace the 15A breaker with a 20A breaker. Most modern breaker boxes are modular. There are several different standards/styles that are not interchangable so you would need to match the 20A unit to the 15A it is replacing. Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware all carry hardware for most of the breaker boxes used.

Be careful there. The standard residential wiring (http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity#House_Wiring) isn't necessarily rated for a 20 amp circuit. If you simply swap out the breaker and consume more power, you may run the risk of overheating the wires and starting a fire. Anything 10-12 gauge should be fine, but worry if you're down at 14-18 gauge. (14 gauge is pretty standard.) You also need to keep an eye on your outlets. Most standard outlets are also only rated to 15 amps.

DrPop
03-20-11, 04:12 PM
Yeah...the more I read stuff like this, I'm thinking my "dream rig" will only have 2 high powered GPUs at a time (like 2x 5970 that I want this year)...someday I'll have one with 3 or more, but that would require a specially wired (and vented! :D) room, multiple PSUs, crazy case, H20 cooling, and probably other stuff.
I think I'll just save up my pennies for 2x 5970s (used off Ebay probably) and call it good for a bit after that. I just want to hit at least 1MIL avg per day at some point. :D

dan
03-20-11, 04:53 PM
Be careful there. The standard residential wiring (http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity#House_Wiring) isn't necessarily rated for a 20 amp circuit. If you simply swap out the breaker and consume more power, you may run the risk of overheating the wires and starting a fire. Anything 10-12 gauge should be fine, but worry if you're down at 14-18 gauge. (14 gauge is pretty standard.) You also need to keep an eye on your outlets. Most standard outlets are also only rated to 15 amps.

Yep. I remember when I wired my house, 20 Amp wire was yellow and 15 Amp white. So don't just replace the circuit, or you could create a dangerous situation.

dan
03-20-11, 04:58 PM
Yeah...the more I read stuff like this, I'm thinking my "dream rig" will only have 2 high powered GPUs at a time (like 2x 5970 that I want this year)...someday I'll have one with 3 or more, but that would require a specially wired (and vented! :D) room, multiple PSUs, crazy case, H20 cooling, and probably other stuff.
I think I'll just save up my pennies for 2x 5970s (used off Ebay probably) and call it good for a bit after that. I just want to hit at least 1MIL avg per day at some point. :D

Three or more is really crazy. Most P58 chipsets only support two PCI slots at 16 full lanes of data at a time. Usually when you get to three cards, you have two at 16X and one at 8X.

If you have a P55 chipset usually you only get one slot at 16X. There are supposed exceptions, if you get a P55 with an NF200 chip.

Dan

Maxwell
03-20-11, 05:09 PM
Three or more is really crazy. Most P58 chipsets only support two PCI slots at 16 full lanes of data at a time. Usually when you get to three cards, you have two at 16X and one at 8X.

That's not usually a problem with crunching, as the data produced by crunching these projects falls well below that. STM had a 3x5870 rig running full-out, and I think Mike has a similar setup...

John P. Myers
03-20-11, 06:43 PM
That's not usually a problem with crunching, as the data produced by crunching these projects falls well below that. STM had a 3x5870 rig running full-out, and I think Mike has a similar setup...

Yep. With what were doing, a PCIe X1 is more than enough. Even a plain PCI works. Who cares about bandwidth :D I've got my GTX460 hooked into a PCIe X1 slot as we speak. I'm humming along beautifully.

Maxwell
03-20-11, 06:46 PM
Yep. With what were doing, a PCIe X1 is more than enough. Even a plain PCI works. Who cares about bandwidth :D I've got my GTX460 hooked into a PCIe X1 slot as we speak. I'm humming along beautifully.
Good. I remembered what you said correctly... ;)

Fire$torm
03-20-11, 09:19 PM

Yep, very true. To be sure just remove one of your outlets (AFTER cutting power to that circuit) and check the wire gauge and read the power rating stamp on the outlet. If the wire gauge is good but the outlet isn't then a quick trip to the hardware store for a heavy-duty outlet will keep you safe.