PDA

View Full Version : Losing a Laptop!

Ricky Moore
03-06-11, 07:17 PM
One of my Laptops (the Compaq Presario 905us) I think is on it's final days. The display goes out and I have to reboot in order to get it to work. It's already set to NEVER turn off but after about an hour or two it goes off anyway and won't come on when I move the mouse or hit any key.

I have it set so that when I push the power button it goes to a normal shutdown so I am not losing anything.

It is currently running YOYO and the last WU is due on Mar 17th. I am wondering if I should keep it going or not.

trigggl
03-06-11, 10:15 PM
Is it the laptop or just the screen turning off? Have you tried an external monitor? If the laptop itself stays on while the video goes out, you don't need video to crunch. I don't even have a monitor hooked up to one of my computers. Just manage it remotely.

Ricky Moore
03-07-11, 05:21 AM
Strange, last night after I posted this the screen stayed on all night! It's like when something stops working and when the repairman comes you can't make it do what it was doing!

I was thinking it may be the card. But I think the card is on the Motherboard on a laptop. If that is the case then connecting another screen would not work.

The only card I see in my other Laptops is the wireless card. The Compaq requires an card to plug in for the wireless.

Dandasarge
03-07-11, 08:28 AM
I would work out whatever for a remote login. If it is a video thing this would remove that need.

Fire$torm
03-07-11, 09:10 AM
Strange, last night after I posted this the screen stayed on all night! It's like when something stops working and when the repairman comes you can't make it do what it was doing!

I was thinking it may be the card. But I think the card is on the Motherboard on a laptop. If that is the case then connecting another screen would not work.

The only card I see in my other Laptops is the wireless card. The Compaq requires an card to plug in for the wireless.
Yes, most laptops have integrated graphics on the MB so it is next to impossible to repair, or the cost of repair would almost pay for a new laptop.

Using a remote desktop app is the cheapest (as in free) way to get around your problem. There are "External" graphic cards solutions available (They use the USB port to connect) but they come with a premium price.

Remote Apps for Windows include UltraVNC, TeamViewer and TightVNC just to name a few.

VNC Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc

Wiki list of VNC apps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

rgathright
03-07-11, 11:52 AM
Don't forget about LogmeIn.com! I use this to manage many of my computers from my little ASUS 1005HA netbook.

In fact, currently 4 of my crunchers have no monitors attached to them.

Dandasarge
03-07-11, 12:30 PM
Don't forget about LogmeIn.com! I use this to manage many of my computers from my little ASUS 1005HA netbook.

In fact, currently 4 of my crunchers have no monitors attached to them.

Never seen this logmein.com thing. Looks to be good if it works 1/2 decent. Maybe we could start a new thread on this.

rgathright
03-07-11, 12:35 PM
Never seen this logmein.com thing. Looks to be good if it works 1/2 decent. Maybe we could start a new thread on this.

They give you full membership for 30 days and nag you to sign up.

After that time the account is restricted but still does all that I need, for free. You do not have to pay. :)

I encourage you to try it out... you can essentially remote into any computer on any internet connection. No static IP needed with this cool web based remote control software.

Fire$torm
03-07-11, 03:09 PM
They give you full membership for 30 days and nag you to sign up.

After that time the account is restricted but still does all that I need, for free. You do not have to pay. :)

I encourage you to try it out... you can essentially remote into any computer on any internet connection. No static IP needed with this cool web based remote control software.
I personally use UltraVNC and prefer it over any service that likes to nag its customers. So an alternative to LogMeIn would be to use DynDNS's Free Dynamic Domain Name Service. (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) It is essentially a DNS that automatically updates your free hostname as your IP address changes. DynDNS has had this free offering for like ten years now.

Ricky Moore
03-08-11, 03:40 AM
Don't those programs require a "always on" connection?

This Laptop has another problem.... I have the "ScreenSaver" on so that I can see that it's running. About the same time the screen started acting up, it starting to lockup when I try to bring it out of the screensaver mode and I had to reboot for that also.

It's just finished the last WU for Yoyo. I may run DNETC since they are small WU's.

This is an old Laptop that still has the old floppy thingy on it. It has a AMP Athlon PX CPU and 1GB of Ram running Windows XP Home.

Also, I am going to try it without using the BOINC screensaver and see if it still locks up.

Fire$torm
03-08-11, 10:04 AM
Don't those programs require a "always on" connection?

This Laptop has another problem.... I have the "ScreenSaver" on so that I can see that it's running. About the same time the screen started acting up, it starting to lockup when I try to bring it out of the screensaver mode and I had to reboot for that also.

It's just finished the last WU for Yoyo. I may run DNETC since they are small WU's.

This is an old Laptop that still has the old floppy thingy on it. It has a AMP Athlon PX CPU and 1GB of Ram running Windows XP Home.

Also, I am going to try it without using the BOINC screensaver and see if it still locks up.

Yes, to access a remote system it must be online.
You should avoid using any kind of screensaver since it eats up CPU cycles that BOINC could use.

Ricky Moore
03-10-11, 09:48 AM
I am so confuserated now.... As soon as I went from YOYO to DNETC I have had no problems with the Display going off or Screensaver locking up!

As far as using the Screensaver I set it to "none" during any race as I do to all my PC's.

AND Speaking of DNETC is the Team running in that race that starts tomorrow??

Fire$torm
03-10-11, 11:44 AM
I am so confuserated now.... As soon as I went from YOYO to DNETC I have had no problems with the Display going off or Screensaver locking up!

As far as using the Screensaver I set it to "none" during any race as I do to all my PC's.

AND Speaking of DNETC is the Team running in that race that starts tomorrow??

Not I, says me. Sorry.

DrPop
03-10-11, 01:04 PM
Well, a lot of us are on DNETC already - hope that counts? Is this a formal race for the team or ???:confused:

I'll be on DNETC for a while - trying to get a 50M there soon. :D

Ricky Moore
03-10-11, 03:34 PM
Well, a lot of us are on DNETC already - hope that counts? Is this a formal race for the team or ???:confused:

I'll be on DNETC for a while - trying to get a 50M there soon. :D

Not sure, I just saw it over there on their MB and thought the Team may want to try. It runs from 11 Mar @ 18:00 (13:00 for EST) until the 13th of Mar @ 18:00. Only WU's downloaded from that time frame counts.

If the Team had to sign up I don't know. I'll be running anyway.

DrPop
03-10-11, 04:55 PM
Alright, I'll see you there! I can hit about 300K/day at the moment on DNETC.