PDA

View Full Version : Optima@Home: About GULP Application

RSS
12-24-15, 07:00 AM
New application aimed at testing stability of the GULP code.GULP is a program for performing a variety of types of simulation on materials using boundary conditions of 0-D (molecules and clusters), 1-D (polymers), 2-D (surfaces, slabs and grain boundaries), or 3D (periodic solids). Adaptation of this code for BOINC is a first step to implementation of the computational materials discovery methods to the distributed computing. More specifically, USPEX evolutionary algorithm. This is an algorithm for crystal structure prediction, which is a problem of global optimization, i.e., finding the global minimum of the free energy of the crystal (per mole) with respect to variations of the structure. Successful solution of this problem requires local optimization for each structure generated during prediction. GULP is one of the methods supported by USPEX. That is why we have adapted it for BOINC and providing a test caclucation for it.This is variable cell calculation of the crystal structure of magnesium aluminate (MgAl2O4) with 28 atoms per unit cell at 100 GPa pressure.

More... (http://boinc.isa.ru/dcsdg/all_news.php#32)

zombie67
12-24-15, 08:56 AM
New app! Yay!

No ability to choose apps! Boo!

Bok
12-24-15, 08:57 AM
Seems to be 32bit linux only as well, my 64bit systems aren't getting any. bitcoin just released the bfgminer app for campaign #3 though, that'll get you to 379apps :)

Mumps
12-24-15, 12:10 PM
Well, seeing as they haven't had work for any other app for over a year, I'll guess you're safe. :)

And even according to the project site, there's no user with any recent credit, so it remains to be seen if they're even working.

Bryan
12-24-15, 12:31 PM
I got 14 on a 64 bit VM :D That won't be enough for 100 hours and the server is saying it has no more work :( There are only 151 tasks in progress.

Mumps
12-24-15, 12:58 PM
Well, I've got 79 of them. :) All 64bit linux.

Mumps
12-25-15, 09:35 PM
Well, it looks like credits are almost non-existent. After crunching for about 186 hours, according to WuProp, I've been granted a whopping 13 credits, without a single Invalid result. It looks like the key here is that the WU's aren't reporting the correct elapsed time back to the BOINC client.

Bryan
12-26-15, 12:42 AM
Well I got a whole 2 points for my efforts ... I'll never complain about Seti credits again =))

shiva
12-26-15, 11:57 AM
well, looks like Mumps is the winner once again. Bryan you had to do 7 wu's to get a point while Mumps only had to do 6.07 wu's per credit. :))

zombie67
12-26-15, 09:54 PM
I have the last three tasks, that have been running over a day now. Maybe they are stuck. I will not un-stick them until I hit my goals, or they issue more. :)

Al
12-26-15, 11:12 PM
Well I got a whole 2 points for my efforts ... I'll never complain about Seti credits again =))
I managed 2.44 credits and a whopping 8.65 hours run time. The credits I didn't care about, but the correct hours would have been nice...and another project star.

Edit: the hours corrected this morning for me. Went from 8 hours to 165 hours.