PDA

View Full Version : VPN Help

Al
01-08-16, 07:50 AM
I'm having U-verse Gigapower installed next week. I had a lot of reservations about this since AT&T virtually forces you to agree to their Internet Preference Agreement, signing away any most of your privacy. In any case, I was wondering if a VPN would help me in preventing some or all of their snooping. I really don't know much about VPNs, so any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

scole of TSBT
01-08-16, 08:12 AM
How will they snoop on your network or do you have any specific concerns about how they set up the service?

Al
01-08-16, 03:42 PM
They do it via the browser, logging search words, links clicked, length of time at the site, etc. Their process pays no attention to your browsers security settings. I know this happens all the time and has for years, but AT&T is so in your face about what they're doing and what they will do with the information, it seems to bother me more. I'm just pulling at straws to find a way to gain back some of the privacy I just gave away.

scole of TSBT
01-08-16, 04:20 PM
Setting up a VPN internally on your home network won't hide anything going out over the internet through AT&T. Only data going between computers on your home network would be encrypted. Once it hits your router and heads to AT&T, it's no longer part of a VPN or encrypted. In order for a VPN to be of any use to hide network activity from AT&T, you would have to setup a VPN between your computer (or home network) and every computer/remote network you plan to access.

Bok
01-08-16, 04:39 PM
If you use a 3rd Party VPN for your connection it should help out. Something like https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn but it's going to cost.

Al
01-11-16, 06:38 PM
Well, I think I resigned myself to giving up my privacy. My close neighbors are getting 600 to 900mbsp down and 300 - 900mbps up...so I guess that is my selling price. If I get close to those speeds I won't fell like the $2 whore I did initially. I'll post what I'm actually getting when I get it installed. It will probably be early February as they need to send out another crew to route the fiber under our private road before they can do anything else.

MindCrime
01-28-16, 09:50 PM
I think even with a VPN your provider can see where your packets end up or came from just not their content. As Bok says it'll cost and I believe your bandwidth/data usage will come into play at some point. There are free ones out there but they'll put a limit on your time and your bandwidth will suffer.

cineon_lut
01-29-16, 09:59 PM
Packet source and destination can easily be recorded, but secure connections (like https, or SSL VPN) should be encrypted packets between the source and destination. Meaning they can see the route of the packet, but not the contents of the packets.

Mumps
01-29-16, 10:15 PM
So, yes, they can see you're visiting PirateBay, but not what you're downloading. :)

zombie67
01-29-16, 10:45 PM
Mix in TOR.

Al
01-31-16, 03:11 PM
Well, we are finally scheduled for a Wednesday morning install. Thanks for the info, but I'm not going to worry about it further. If they want to follow me around the Internet all I can do is try to bore them to death.

Edit: Tor is interesting. Thanks for the tip Z.

Fire$torm
02-07-16, 09:46 AM
If you use a VPN service then the only thing anyone can see is your connection to the service. After that it's a big blank page as far as snooping corporations are concerned.

Here, have a look at this ---> Torrent Freak - Which VPN Services Take Your Anonymity Seriously? 2015 Edition (https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/)

Al
02-17-16, 04:02 PM
Well, U-verse install done...results?

My old DSL 6.45mbps Download - 0.43mbps upload
My New U-Verse - 935.01mbps download - 944.31mbps Upload

I guess I can sell my privacy for that.

MindCrime
02-17-16, 04:34 PM
Well, U-verse install done...results?

My old DSL 6.45mbps Download - 0.43mbps upload
My New U-Verse - 935.01mbps download - 944.31mbps Upload

I guess I can sell my privacy for that.

Holy crap, it's truly a gigabit connection. So maybe you should go into the web hosting business?

Mumps
02-17-16, 05:45 PM
At least you're a high-priced whore. :D

Bryan
02-17-16, 05:51 PM
And he will be able to type messages at full speed now ... use all his fingers in fact =)) Even the one he's waving at me!

scole of TSBT
02-17-16, 09:39 PM
Sphynx, did you know your system camera is enabled? Up until now that little panel we see under your avatar was all dark, but now it's full motion video. I'd stop walking around nekked if I were you...please!