PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

FourOh
01-13-16, 05:34 PM
As I posted in another thread, my two week old Kraken X31 AIO liquid CPU cooler spontaneously started leaking a few days ago. It caused damage to the R9-280X GPU below as well as the motherboard PCIe slot.

I am within the return period for the cooler, but sending it back for refund would mean I had no recourse on the GPU and mobo. So, I decided to go after NZXT for the damaged parts. I'm not sure how confident I am, but here is my first communication from NZXT support:

We would recommend proceeding with an RMA if you can please proceed to http://nzxtrma.rmaportal.com/ we will be able to continued assisting you. You will need to submit an account which then our RMA representative would be able to send you a message via email.

Also please send in the GPU and the motherboard as an investigation is going to need to be conducted as there is third party collateral damage they will give you a prepaid shipping label as well so use a box that is big enough to store all items.

Grammar aside, it appears they are willing to play ball. Not sure if they will attempt repair, offer replacement, or offer a replacement value. Anyway, I'm off to Newegg to pick up a new mobo/cpu/ddr4 to keep things going on my end :p

DrPop
01-13-16, 06:08 PM
Please keep us filled in on this one! I have a Kraken in one of my i73930K rigs. :P

FourOh
01-15-16, 02:13 PM
Response to RMA Request:

did you happen to contact amazon for a refund?
we do not have any x31's available to ship for the time being because of a common issue that is being reported. there might be a bad batch of defects. what we can do is upgrade you to an x61 free of charge if you would like?
please let me know but you are under amazon 30 day warranty so if you want a refund I advise you go through them

Hmmm... take the upgrade to X61 or get a full refund? I'm leaning towards upgrade :p

Mumps
01-15-16, 04:40 PM
As long as the x61 isn't simply that much more fluid to leak. :))

DrPop
01-15-16, 05:48 PM
Wow! The Kraken X61 looks like a beast. :) I'll have to look at the box in the garage to see which one I have. So far so good, I've been using it for at least a year I think, and it is better then the big Noctua HSF, so that's a compliment to it.

John P. Myers
01-16-16, 12:31 AM
Just to add my 2 cents, I've been using an x40 for a couples years or so with no leaks and great performance. I would lean towards the upgrade :)

FourOh
01-16-16, 10:12 AM
Yep, my X41 has been running 24/7 in my home office computer for over a year. Like they said, I just got one from a "bad batch." I hope they have their QC/QA figured out!

DrPop
01-19-16, 10:50 PM
Since I was installing the new GPU, I took a look at the Kraken I've got in there. It's an X41 and has been working perfectly if that helps with the decision?

FourOh
01-28-16, 11:38 AM
Well, I took the free upgrade to the Kraken X61 - basically I got a $140 cooler for $75 and a little heartache. It's a nice piece of gear, and fits nicely in the front of my NZXT S340 case. I've got my new i7-5820k running at 3.8Ghz and it's barely over 40C.

I haven't heard anything new about the damaged motherboard and GPU... despite emails requesting status updates. Hopefully the "investigation" wraps up soon!

FourOh
02-01-16, 06:45 PM
This build is turning into a pain in the arse! I'm getting blue screens regularly that seem to be related to memory. I have 2 pairs of 8gb sticks, same model number but bought separately. If I have all four installed, running the XMP 3200 profile, I get work unit errors, blue screens, and errors in Memtest. Plus, I can't OC past 3.8Ghz without even worse instability. If I only use 2 sticks, it seems to run fine and can achieve stable and higher overclocks. Was buying DDR4-3200 a mistake on the X99 platform? This is from G.Skill:

With the X99 platform, DDR4-3200 is nearing the limits of the Haswell-E CPU. Not all CPUs will be capable of this frequency, and some may require additional voltage tweaking to stabilize the memory controller. This is expected when pushing the limits of any processor. Keep in mind, Intel recommends DDR4-2133 and DDR4-2400 for the Haswell-E, so this RAM is pushing the memory controller capability over +33%. This is a significant amount for any frequency.

System Specs:
i7-5820k
GA-X99-UD3P
G.SKILL DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GVK 4x8gb

I think I'm still within the return period with Newegg for this RAM. The ones I bought weren't on the Qualified Vendors List for this mobo (I never check those!) so maybe it's best I return and get a DDR4-3000 set that is on the list. Booooooo!

Edit: This will be a cruncher, of course... but stability is the #1 priority because it will replace dear wife's home office computer! :D

John P. Myers
02-02-16, 09:37 AM
Using 4 sticks of RAM will always lower your max OC vs. just 2. OC records are usually broken using just 1. Keep the RAM and downclock it to 3000 :)

FourOh
02-08-16, 06:56 PM
I decided to return the RAM and get a 32gb set of DDR 2400 that is on the QVL for my mobo. I doubt I'd see much real world gains at 3000 vs 2400, plus I can run the new set at lower 1.2v! It's what I should have done in the first place :p

Meanwhile, NZXT called and they are replacing my 280x but not the motherboard. They tested it and couldn't generate any errors, so they'll be shipping it back. Not too sure how I feel about that, since I was getting horizontal lines across the screen when using the on board graphics. Maybe something was still damp and now has dried out? I wouldn't think the CPU would be damaged by water dripping on the motherboard below, but who knows :confused: Anyway, guess I'll piece another system together - Wasp Redux Redux??

Mumps
02-08-16, 07:44 PM
Not Wasp ReDux-Dux? :))

FourOh
02-24-16, 06:51 PM
WaspRedux lives!! A couple days ago I received a new R9 280X (XFX replaced it on RMA) and my motherboard back from NZXT. They had already sent me a new cooler - they upgraded me to an X61 from the X31.

They couldn't find anything wrong with the mobo, and it seems to be working fine now. I'm guessing it still had some moisture in the slots when I sent it in.

Altogether a pretty good RMA experience, although it took a little longer than I would have liked. The NZXT team kept me in the loop, even calling me occasionally to let me know how the testing was going.

Meanwhile, I just sent an MSI 280x for RMA today. I bought it on ebay and had no idea if there was any warranty period left, but they accepted it! So hopefully in a few weeks WaspRedux will be back at full capacity with dual GPUs! ;)

John P. Myers
02-24-16, 06:58 PM
Interesting...i have an MSI 280x i need to RMA also bought on ebay. Hope i have as much luck as you!

FourOh
02-24-16, 07:31 PM
Interesting...i have an MSI 280x i need to RMA also bought on ebay. Hope i have as much luck as you!

I just put the serial number in on their site, briefly described the issue, and it was approved immediately. Good luck!

FourOh
03-03-16, 08:03 PM
Can't get any 4-stick kit to work with this X99 system, even with XMP disabled and no OC on the CPU :mad:

I have a few days left to return the 32gb DDR4 2400 kit, but it's too late to return the 16gb DDR4 3200. I should have coughed up for a 2-stick 32gb kit, and I may end up doing that.

I've been doing a lot more photography lately, and getting into some video - so I imagine I'm going to want the 32gb when I move this machine to the home office. :p

scole of TSBT
03-03-16, 08:22 PM
Any BIOS updates?

FourOh
03-03-16, 10:05 PM
Any BIOS updates?

I tried the latest beta bios as well as the release just prior to that. The 4-stick kit passes all Memtest86 testing but fails to boot Windows using the XMP profile. With XMP disabled it boots to Windows but crashes under load.

This will be the home office computer, so above all it needs to be stable. I don't need it crashing while my wife is working on it... she'll put it on the curb and I'll never see it again :p

Shandia
03-03-16, 11:02 PM
I tried the latest beta bios as well as the release just prior to that. The 4-stick kit passes all Memtest86 testing but fails to boot Windows using the XMP profile. With XMP disabled it boots to Windows but crashes under load.

This will be the home office computer, so above all it needs to be stable. I don't need it crashing while my wife is working on it... she'll put it on the curb and I'll never see it again :p

Run the test again and try to boot with only 2 sticks in. If it crashes, swap the sticks out for the other pair. BTW......turning off the XMP was a good decision. Two of my computers support it.....both crash or won't boot with it on. Something about not syncing with the clock settings of my cpu. (even with no OC) Come to think about it, those are the culprits right down there at the bottom of my stuff. Also IF your wife's computer happens to be running 10, Set up a drive with a different OS and see if it still crashes. Not very often, but occasionally, I've had to re-install the OS when I just added ram. My guess is something counted the ram and doesn't want to run right when you add in more.

John P. Myers
03-04-16, 02:28 AM
Try lowering the frequency to 2133mhz

FourOh
03-04-16, 01:15 PM
Try lowering the frequency to 2133mhz

Yep, tried that. It boots to Windows 10 but isn't stable when I run BOINC or Prime95.

Run the test again and try to boot with only 2 sticks in. If it crashes, swap the sticks out for the other pair. BTW......turning off the XMP was a good decision. Two of my computers support it.....both crash or won't boot with it on. Something about not syncing with the clock settings of my cpu. (even with no OC) Come to think about it, those are the culprits right down there at the bottom of my stuff. Also IF your wife's computer happens to be running 10, Set up a drive with a different OS and see if it still crashes. Not very often, but occasionally, I've had to re-install the OS when I just added ram. My guess is something counted the ram and doesn't want to run right when you add in more.

Tried all sticks separately and in pairs. Everything works fine in pairs with XMP, nothing works when four sticks are installed. I've tried 3 different kits. The set I'm using now (2x8gb) runs fine at DDR4 3200 with the CPU OC'd, so the board is capable of handling the higher clock speeds. I might try your Windows 10 trick... but unfortunately after a lot of trial & error I'm not too hopeful.

MindCrime
03-04-16, 07:12 PM
I have two guesses, it's a gigabyte -UDX board, they've always had problems. I want to say my buddy had a gigabyte socket 1366 -udx board and he had problems with triple channel and I believe he went through a lot of the steps you've mentioned but ultimately had to bump the voltage on the ram. I think motherboard manufacturers skimp where they can especially on desktop boards. They'll put all these features on them but don't deliver quality components or enough of them to support all the features. The personal reviews on newegg and amazon are pretty scary.

John P. Myers
03-04-16, 11:13 PM
Bumping the voltage might do it but don't go above 1.35v. Problem is since your RAM is already clocked so high, it might already be at 1.35v

MindCrime
03-05-16, 02:32 AM
Bumping the voltage might do it but don't go above 1.35v. Problem is since your RAM is already clocked so high, it might already be at 1.35v

A while back (i think ddr3 1866 days) samsung sold an almost generic ram line with this "green low power" tag on it. I can't remember but they ran around 1 to 1.2v out of the box, someone later figured out they were exceptional overclockers and they all went out of stock. Anyways maybe there's newer kits out there that are designed to run at a lower voltage and will play well with a fully loaded board. I wonder if the DIMM density matters; I understand they're both running the same voltage but maybe during high loads or startup the higher current would drop voltage too low to register/populate.

John P. Myers
03-05-16, 06:05 AM
4 sticks does thin out the voltage, but this usually isn't a noticeable issue. I've never used super high clocked RAM before for various reasons, but i think i can see why it would have issues if 2 kits of 2 were being used to arrive at the 4 sticks - the programmed XMP settings could be wrong since they were designed for a pair, not 4. Usually not an issue, but i can see how not only voltages but also timings would become very touchy at 3200mhz.

Or maybe there's simply a bad RAM slot?

FourOh
03-05-16, 12:24 PM
4 sticks does thin out the voltage, but this usually isn't a noticeable issue. I've never used super high clocked RAM before for various reasons, but i think i can see why it would have issues if 2 kits of 2 were being used to arrive at the 4 sticks - the programmed XMP settings could be wrong since they were designed for a pair, not 4. Usually not an issue, but i can see how not only voltages but also timings would become very touchy at 3200mhz.

I think it's the motherboard. It runs DDR4 3200 fine if it's two sticks (automatically at 1.3v), but won't run 4 sticks at stock clocks. The 4-stick 2400 kit I had was rated at 1.2V which is great for lower heat and power usage, but wouldn't run stably. I suppose I could increase the voltage, but both manufacturers claim the kit should work with XMP enabled at 1.2V. I RMAd the 4-stick kit and the replacement had the same problem. I don't think it's a bad slot, either, because I can run that 2-stick 3200 kit in either pair of slots and it runs fine.

I just got unlucky with a budget motherboard that doesn't like 4 sticks of RAM. I don't really feel like RMA'ing the mobo, but it's on the table at this point. I submitted a support request to Gigabyte, we'll see what they say.

MindCrime
03-06-16, 03:10 AM

I got a little lost in the RAM configs FourOh has tried, FourOh are you using a 4 stick kit now? IMO if its on the QVL and it's not working to a point you're confident they could reproduce the results you're getting I would RMA it. In the land I wished I lived in when a mobo specs say they can run ddr4 in 4 channel any legit ram than meets those specs should work, and when I got to a point where I had to buy more ram thats on the QVL to see if a feature actually works, and it's doesn't, RMA. Sadly this thread has actually made me less a fan of Gigabyte and more a fan of NZXT. Im confident nzxt doesn't make their own products, I'll have to look up who the pump and rad manufacturers really are, but their customer service sounds better than most PC hardware mfgs.

John P. Myers
03-06-16, 04:58 AM
I have had issues with G.Skill memory before though. 2 sticks would always work. 4 would work at first until i added or removed a GPU. I would get BSODs every time i made it to the Win7 screen where the Windows logo shows right at startup...that is if i made it to Windows at all. Then i would rotate which slots they (the RAM) were in and they would work again until i added or removed a GPU again. Never figured out why. This was on a very high-end MSI board. Switched to Patriot brand RAM and never had another issue.

FourOh
03-06-16, 10:10 AM
I got a little lost in the RAM configs FourOh has tried, FourOh are you using a 4 stick kit now? IMO if its on the QVL and it's not working to a point you're confident they could reproduce the results you're getting I would RMA it. In the land I wished I lived in when a mobo specs say they can run ddr4 in 4 channel any legit ram than meets those specs should work, and when I got to a point where I had to buy more ram thats on the QVL to see if a feature actually works, and it's doesn't, RMA. Sadly this thread has actually made me less a fan of Gigabyte and more a fan of NZXT. Im confident nzxt doesn't make their own products, I'll have to look up who the pump and rad manufacturers really are, but their customer service sounds better than most PC hardware mfgs.

Yes, it is a little confusing. Here is the timeline:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3P
CPU: Intel i7-5820k

1st RAM kit: 2x8gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3200 F4-3200C16D-16GVK (not on QVL)
This kit works fine with XMP profile enabled.
2nd RAM kit: another 2x8gb as above
Adding a 2nd 2x8gb DDR4 3200 kit caused problems. System won't boot with XMP enabled and is unstable at 2133mhz
3rd RAM kit: 4x8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR 2400 F4-2400C15Q-32GRK (on the QVL list and recommended by G.Skill)
This kit again did not work with XMP enabled and is unstable at 2133mhz
4th RAM kit: RMA'd the 3rd kit, replacement set has same issues

Currently back to using the 1st kit, 2x8gb with XMP enabled. RAM is running at DDR4 3200 no problem.

As far as the RMA process, yes NZXT did a good job of keeping me informed and "making me whole," even if it did take a little longer than expected. G.Skill replaced my RAM (which may not have been defective at all) in less than a week. I'm into the 2nd week of the MSI 280x RMA, with no estimate of how long it will be before a replacement is shipped.

At this point with the RAM, I've spent more on return shipping and restocking fees than I'd like to think about. Hoping to have a workable solution soon...

MindCrime
03-07-16, 04:27 PM
Any plans to RMA the gigabyte board? Seems like a pretty straightforward reason: "doesn't boot with verified good RAM that's on the QVL" Or is 16GB enough functionality to not have to deal with gigabyte customer service?

FourOh
03-07-16, 04:34 PM
Any plans to RMA the gigabyte board? Seems like a pretty straightforward reason: "doesn't boot with verified good RAM that's on the QVL" Or is 16GB enough functionality to not have to deal with gigabyte customer service?

I submitted a ticket. Once it's up and fully outfitted, this should be my home office computer for the next couple years. I'm going to want the additional RAM for photo & video work.

If approved (not sure why it wouldn't) this will be the 4th RMA on this build :p

MindCrime
03-09-16, 04:28 PM
If approved (not sure why it wouldn't) this will be the 4th RMA on this build :p

this haswell rig needs a new name, RMAs-well

Shandia
03-09-16, 09:17 PM
OMG! 4th you say? Send it in when it gets approved and while it's out, start shopping for another mobo for your wife's computer while keeping THAT mobo as a lesser cruncher. Better to know what could go wrong with that build than have to deal with the wife's wrath while digging it out of the trash.

FourOh
03-10-16, 10:47 AM
OMG! 4th you say? Send it in when it gets approved and while it's out, start shopping for another mobo for your wife's computer while keeping THAT mobo as a lesser cruncher. Better to know what could go wrong with that build than have to deal with the wife's wrath while digging it out of the trash.

Now why did you have to go and suggest I buy moar gear?! I've already laid out #(&%@()& bucks on this thing... and now you've got me browsing mobos on Newegg :p

Let's see, I could order one today, pick up tomorrow and build over the weekend :D

Maybe I'll try my luck with MSI instead of Gigabyte. I'm thinking this one will do...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130840

Shandia
03-10-16, 11:44 AM
MSI.......I've had a few experiences with those. It's going to be one of those things where you will need to do research and ask others about. I've heard horror stories about boards from every manufacturer. I've also heard glowing reports on those same manufacturers. MSI has always been one of those right down the middle. I personally would look up and research EVGA while you are at it. The two mobos I have that I've yet to have a single problem with are EVGA and Gigabyte. My Asus.....aka Bipolar......let's just say it's gonna be a really long time before I have faith in them again. True, I had to re-work around some burned bits on the Gigabyte board and dealt with scraping burnt off of the psu pins on the EVGA. In both cases it's suspected that the PSU caused both scenarios. Ok, I lied. The person I got the Gigabyte board from told me it was the PSU. But when I did a full inspection, the backplate for the cpu cooler was touching many of the pins on the back side of the motherboard and showed signs of charring. Don't rely solely on the hype from the sellers when it comes to choosing a good board.

FourOh
03-10-16, 02:34 PM
MSI.......I've had a few experiences with those. It's going to be one of those things where you will need to do research and ask others about. I've heard horror stories about boards from every manufacturer. I've also heard glowing reports on those same manufacturers. MSI has always been one of those right down the middle. I personally would look up and research EVGA while you are at it. The two mobos I have that I've yet to have a single problem with are EVGA and Gigabyte. My Asus.....aka Bipolar......let's just say it's gonna be a really long time before I have faith in them again. True, I had to re-work around some burned bits on the Gigabyte board and dealt with scraping burnt off of the psu pins on the EVGA. In both cases it's suspected that the PSU caused both scenarios. Ok, I lied. The person I got the Gigabyte board from told me it was the PSU. But when I did a full inspection, the backplate for the cpu cooler was touching many of the pins on the back side of the motherboard and showed signs of charring. Don't rely solely on the hype from the sellers when it comes to choosing a good board.

I'd love to try an EVGA motherboard... but they are significantly more expensive than the ones I'm looking at. Their only X99 mobo in my price range is Micro ATX, and I prefer an ATX board for this build. I think the most reliable motherboard I've ever owned is from Biostar, but they don't make an X99 mobo. So, I think I'll try this MSI and hope I get a good one!

Now... I wonder if I could uninstall all my drivers and swap motherboards without Windows 10 noticing :D

FourOh
03-13-16, 04:08 PM
Performing a delicate transplant today... Wasp (Re)Redux goes in the NZXT case, Phoenix (RMAswell) goes in the Fractal Design case with the new MSI mobo... http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/45ff22a1311e88c4e55b1de46ceaa3f8.jpg

FourOh
03-13-16, 06:36 PM
I'm pretty surprised, myself... I uninstalled as many drivers as I could, swapped motherboards and it fired right up! Plus, the memory issue is resolved!

Phoenix (RMAswell)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/1c3d8453999395ebc4fcb26697936ed6.jpg

Wasp Redux (Redux)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160313/9fefb4b824bb87adaa766edccd2d4d7f.jpg

Still waiting on RMA from MSI for Wasp's 2nd R9 280X, and tomorrow I'm sending in Phoenix's GTX 970 to EVGA for a step-up to a 980. I'm hoping to be out of the rig building business soon!!

Al
03-13-16, 07:22 PM
I have 2 of the Z77 Extreme3 boards and have been very pleased with them. Gigabyte, never a problem. MSI, no issues. ASUS Sabertooth...a WOW board. I've been fortunate. I do note that your build pictures are missing dust and bad cable management...please redo them! :p

John P. Myers
03-13-16, 08:54 PM
I do note that your build pictures are missing dust and bad cable management...please redo them! :p
You're trying to get F$ to go on a rant...

Lol

Shandia
03-14-16, 07:09 AM
Nice job there! It's not something we see every day.......missing dust. I finished working on Bipolar myself. Surprisingly with the case all buttoned up, the dust wasn't that bad. The locked up cpu cooling fan might have had something to do with it. The gpu was worse but still not bad. I left her working on updates last night and found her powered off this morning. Gonna have to change out psus today. I guess having decent cases that aren't open all the time do help stop the bunnies from forming. So jealous of your builds!

FourOh
03-14-16, 11:27 AM
Don't worry, y'all. These two are relatively dust-free, but I'm making up for it with my home rigs [emoji12] Three dogs and continuous home improvement projects don't lead to clean towers!

Taking a closer look at the Gigabyte motherboard that has been giving me so much trouble... is that a bent pin?? Could that have been causing all these issues?!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160314/3054dd35548f6f53ac3adda928d4edfc.jpg

Al
03-14-16, 03:21 PM
Yes, it could! With a light touch you can very often bend them back.

FourOh
03-14-16, 03:52 PM
Well, I suppose I should have checked this before I got a new board :p

Al
03-14-16, 05:00 PM
Well, I suppose I should have checked this before I got a new board :p
Yes, but then you wouldn't have a new board...Duh! I'll have to try that one.

FourOh
03-16-16, 05:43 PM
Oh boy. RAM problems are back, on the new board this time :mad:

Again, system seems to be stable with a 2x8gb DDR4-3200 kit, while randomly crashing (no blue screen, just quickly shuts down) with the 4x8gb DDR4-2400 kit. Is it possible I got another bad RAM kit back from RMA? Do I need to go through all the testing again?!? Or is the universe trying to tell me I only need 16gb of RAM on this machine??

John P. Myers
03-16-16, 06:02 PM
Remember not to blame Gigabyte anymore lol

Safe enough to say no further testing required. It's the RAM

FourOh
03-16-16, 06:36 PM
Remember not to blame Gigabyte anymore lol

Safe enough to say no further testing required. It's the RAM

Probably so. In other news, I finally heard back from MSI about my 280X RMA... they're out of stock and offered a 390X. It's worth at least twice what I paid for the 280X, but has even higher power usage and lower Double Precision... there's always a catch!

Fire$torm
03-16-16, 06:44 PM
You're trying to get F$ to go on a rant...

Lol

L'il oh me? Rant? You must be joking.... :P

[Rant time]
EVGA is a strange beast when it comes to MBs. My X58 board (refurbished) had SATA controller driver issues. Though it was Marvell's (SATA controller Mfg) fault, the EVGA board was very sensitive to it. My EVGA Z97 Classified MB is great except for the onboard fan controller. You cannot manually control fans with any form of software (like SpeedFan). Had to use a 3rd party active hardware solution. 1st one I tried was NZXT's but that unit requires internet access before it will allow you to manage fan speeds. My final solution was the mCubed T-Balancer. Works very well but it's a total PITA to set up.
[/Rant time]

Btw, how's that controller working out for you JPM?

Al
03-16-16, 06:47 PM
Probably so. In other news, I finally heard back from MSI about my 280X RMA... they're out of stock and offered a 390X. It's worth at least twice what I paid for the 280X, but has even higher power usage and lower Double Precision... there's always a catch!
It seems to be a lot more gpu, aside from the DP. Unless you're planning to use it on MW it still seems like a fair replacement offer. IMHO

Shandia
03-16-16, 06:48 PM
Oh boy. RAM problems are back, on the new board this time :mad:

Again, system seems to be stable with a 2x8gb DDR4-3200 kit, while randomly crashing (no blue screen, just quickly shuts down) with the 4x8gb DDR4-2400 kit. Is it possible I got another bad RAM kit back from RMA? Do I need to go through all the testing again?!? Or is the universe trying to tell me I only need 16gb of RAM on this machine??

Are you sure it's not the psu? I'm just wondering because what yours is doing is one of Bipolar's typical moves. Since I replaced the psu, she stopped rebooting at will.

FourOh
03-16-16, 07:02 PM
It seems to be a lot more gpu, aside from the DP. Unless you're planning to use it on MW it still seems like a fair replacement offer. IMHO

Yep, I think I'll take the deal. I'm working on Collatz now, where it should really shine. I'll decide what to do with it after that and the Pentathlon.

Are you sure it's not the psu?

It acts a little bit like a PSU issue... bonking out without a BSOD. But it's a new EVGA 850W Platinum PSU, and everything seems to work fine when the higher speed (and higher voltage) 2x8gb kit is installed. It could be a software issue, after all I did change out motherboards without reinstalling Windows 10. I cleaned as many of the old drivers out as possible, including a fresh NVIDIA (not the toxic release) install. And I would think if it's a Windows issue I would get blue screens instead of crap-outs. I've checked all RAM and cables to make sure they're all seated properly, disabled ECO mode on PSU, disabled CPU overclocking... still with the crashing :p

Shandia
03-16-16, 07:28 PM
It acts a little bit like a PSU issue... bonking out without a BSOD. But it's a new EVGA 850W Platinum PSU, and everything seems to work fine when the higher speed (and higher voltage) 2x8gb kit is installed. It could be a software issue, after all I did change out motherboards without reinstalling Windows 10. I cleaned as many of the old drivers out as possible, including a fresh NVIDIA (not the toxic release) install. And I would think if it's a Windows issue I would get blue screens instead of crap-outs. I've checked all RAM and cables to make sure they're all seated properly, disabled ECO mode on PSU, disabled CPU overclocking... still with the crashing :p

Yeah, it sounds just like a Bipolar move. It was one of the things that made her HER. Overclock, no overclock, underclock, ram -- all the of the above too, more voltage, less voltage....didn't matter. Sometimes she would run for weeks without a problem. Then, clear out of the blue, she'd start one of her fits rebooting every few minutes for hours on end. With windows xp, she would blue screen with the dvr card in her. The rest of the time with no dvr card, no matter the OS she was running, she'd just reboot whenever she felt like it. She was actually happiest with 8.1. But she would still start doing the reboot dance occasionally. She has done it since I first built her with all new everything. I actually started thinking it was the psu last year when I added the r-boxes to her/her psu. One by one, I had to unplug them until I was down to only 2 of them. With her most recent stunt, not powering up period, I had no choice but to change things out. Now she is happy running 4 r-boxes on her psu and hasn't shown any sign of any wanting to reboot whenever she feels like it. I actually am feeling a little stupid for letting her run 5 years like that when it wasn't necessary.

John P. Myers
03-16-16, 08:02 PM
Btw, how's that controller working out for you JPM?

Working great last time it was in use.
GD Asus! Built a 4790k cruncher and it was awesome. Used an Asus mITX board and an m.2 SSD. Threw an R9 295 X2 in there with it and all was good with the world. It ran for a few months, then one day...NOTHING! BIOS made it through POST but no OS was to be found anywhere. After years of refusing to use Asus boards because of bad experiences 100% of the time, i finally use one and the m.2 socket died...lost everything. It's still down to this day because I'm afraid it won't work again even after replacement and then I'd have to send it flying through the nearest window...
Anyway, the NZXT fan controller is in that build and i let all fans run full speed. All the extra fan headers on that thing are great since the mITX board has none to spare.

BTW, the R9 295 X2 is now in my QX9770 build. I'll be putting a 7990 in the 4790k when i get the nerve to see if it's going to work this time...

Also, i have another Asus board i haven't tested yet (Z10PE-D8 WS). If you hear on the news Asus HQ burned to the ground, you'll know it didn't work either...

Fire$torm
03-17-16, 06:10 PM
......Also, i have another Asus board i haven't tested yet (Z10PE-D8 WS). If you hear on the news Asus HQ burned to the ground, you'll know it didn't work either...

ROFLMFAO.....

Sorry to hear about your 4790K issues. Hope the M.2 controller didn't take the drive with it.

Cruncher Pete
03-17-16, 10:20 PM
Working great last time it was in use.
GD Asus! Built a 4790k cruncher and it was awesome. Used an Asus mITX board and an m.2 SSD. Threw an R9 295 X2 in there with it and all was good with the world. It ran for a few months, then one day...NOTHING! BIOS made it through POST but no OS was to be found anywhere. After years of refusing to use Asus boards because of bad experiences 100% of the time, i finally use one and the m.2 socket died...lost everything. It's still down to this day because I'm afraid it won't work again even after replacement and then I'd have to send it flying through the nearest window...
Anyway, the NZXT fan controller is in that build and i let all fans run full speed. All the extra fan headers on that thing are great since the mITX board has none to spare.

BTW, the R9 295 X2 is now in my QX9770 build. I'll be putting a 7990 in the 4790k when i get the nerve to see if it's going to work this time...

Also, i have another Asus board i haven't tested yet (Z10PE-D8 WS). If you hear on the news Asus HQ burned to the ground, you'll know it didn't work either...

I agree with you John 100% for my experience with ASUS boards are similar. My current problem is with an X99 board. One went up in flames in front of my eyes. it was working fine for months, using an i7 5820K CPU. Nothing needed to change for if it works, do not touch. I decided to try the RMI rout and as that will take months to resolve I purchased an X99-A board and a new spare 1000W CPU at the same time as well as a new SSD. The system lasted less than a week for it shows no life whatsoever. I know that the CPU and the SSD works fine having tested them in another machine and the Tech at my favorite local computer shop could not get it going either. If you want to make sure that you do a good job with ASUS HQ let me know, I might have a spare match or two to help out.

Shandia
03-18-16, 11:28 AM
WAHAHAHA! So, it's not me that has it in for ASUS. Yeah, Bipolar is ASUS. I have two other ASUS boards. One won't boot with 4 sticks of ram......the second one has a bunch of bent cpu pins. It was an accident I assure you....it saved me from catching a felony for arson myself. It was showing signs of being a pain anyway. To date, Bipolar does one thing that none of my other computers can do. I'm not talking about not remembering the bios settings when unplugged from the power. She has this uncanny knack at unbricking gpus. Not sure why that is. I have yet to try the 580gtx on her. Can't find it atm. But yeah, when I installed the new psu, she unbricked 2 gpus for me that were left for dead since last year.

FourOh
03-19-16, 07:51 PM

That's a monster board! Hope it holds up better than the other one!

I did some testing today on my X99 board... still won't boot with 4 sticks but works fine with 3. I guess 24gb is plenty for 12 threads anyway :p

zombie67
03-20-16, 01:00 AM
Also, i have another Asus board i haven't tested yet (Z10PE-D8 WS).

This is the mobo in my dual E5-2630 v3 machine. Works fine so far.

FourOh
03-24-16, 01:36 PM
Well, my X99 build has experienced a bit of "scope creep." Or cell division. Or cloning gone wrong. Anyway, here is what I ended up with:

Phoenix
i7-5820k
MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 (EVGA Step-Up from 970)
2x8gb G.Skill DDR4-3200
Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb M.2
Kraken X61 (RMA replacement of leaking X31)
EVGA 850W Platinum P2 PSU
Fractal Design Define R5

RMAswell (Hat Tip to MindCrime for the name)
Xeon E5-2670v3 (12-Core) (Engineering Sample, $300 on ebay)
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P (Bent CPU socket pin carefully straightened)
EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ (pulled from another rig)
G.Skill 4x8gb DDR4
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb M.2
Cooler Master 212 Evo (from an old build)
EVGA 650W Gold PSU (from an old build)
Fractal Design Define S

I also received yesterday a new R9 390X from MSI as an RMA replacement of a 280X I bought on ebay last year. This thing is a BEAST! 8Gb 512-Bit GDDR5, pre-installed backplate, 1100Mhz clock speed. I have it installed in WaspRedux now... it's generating over 5 Million per day on Collatz, along with lots of heat :p I'd like to run a 280X with it, I have enough overhead on the PSU. But, I don't think the case has enough airflow to keep it from bursting into flames :D

FourOh
03-26-16, 03:35 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/ac3b392f4ceb96f33e557487810564a5.jpg

Phoenix & RMAswell

FourOh
03-29-16, 06:56 PM
Great, these two siblings are confusing all my BOINC projects. They keep getting them mixed up... thinking one machine is the other when they request work. I guess I should have reinstalled OS after swapping motherboards after all! :p

Fire$torm
03-29-16, 07:58 PM
Great pics! :-bd

Mumps
03-29-16, 08:53 PM
Dirty 'em up a bit so I don't feel so bad! :)

Great stuff.

c303a
03-30-16, 10:11 AM
Will ship dust for free!

FourOh
04-12-16, 09:40 AM
Are you sure it's not the psu? I'm just wondering because what yours is doing is one of Bipolar's typical moves. Since I replaced the psu, she stopped rebooting at will.

Ding Ding Ding! Shandia called it. After installing (yet another) replacement RAM set, Phoenix still would crash when I put load on the GPU. I reinstalled OS... no change. I threw in a budget PSU to see what would happen... yep, stable as a rock. So, I'll be submitting an RMA on the EVGA 850 P2 PSU.

RMA Count on this Build: 7

John P. Myers
04-12-16, 05:32 PM
Ding Ding Ding! Shandia called it. After installing (yet another) replacement RAM set, Phoenix still would crash when I put load on the GPU. I reinstalled OS... no change. I threw in a budget PSU to see what would happen... yep, stable as a rock. So, I'll be submitting an RMA on the EVGA 850 P2 PSU.

Wow...well at least the PSU is still under warranty. Come to think of it, i had a similar thing happen when using a Fractal Design 1000W Newton PSU on my 2700K build. Computer would work fine until i opened a web browser or anything requiring graphics, then it would die. Did some checking and the voltages were about 3.5% above spec steadily - no idea if it spiked above that. Replaced that PSU with an EVGA and no problems since. Put the Fractal in my QX9770 build and no problems since. Real head scratcher...

Al
04-12-16, 06:52 PM

Congrats Shandia! Your prize is in the "Free Kittens" thread. Send me your address and you get a free R-Box!