PDA

View Full Version : Update: AQUA vs AndrOINC credits on 32bit & 64bit rigs

DrPop
03-10-11, 01:33 PM
OK...have finished a few weeks worth of averaging, and these numbers might not hold true for everyone, but here's what I got.

On 32bit Windows OS, AQUA actually beats out AndrOINC by roughly 35%.

On a 64bit Windows OS, AndrOINC beats AQUA by about 16%.

We all know there is a points loss when running AQUA on a 32bit rig vs a 64bit rig, but there is a much LARGER penalty for running AndrOINC on a 32bit rig. These findings could be with my machines only, but I tested both Intel and AMD CPUs on this, and I'm sure it has something to do with each project's code.

So, bottom line for my rigs, at least - AQUA is still the most points per day on 32bit OS. AndrOINC is the new reigning king for 64bit Windows OS.

Hope this info helps some of you on the fence, wanting most points per day.

Fogle
03-10-11, 01:44 PM
Thanks DrPop I'm not one to get into that much detail so I'm glad you did the work for me. Switched my main Quad just now. Go team!:)

Mike029
03-10-11, 03:26 PM
Great work. Thnak you.:)

Maxwell
03-10-11, 03:29 PM
Which Aqua WUs were you running, or was it a mix? Because I've heard that there are stark differences in credits among WUs...

Zytozux
03-10-11, 04:50 PM
any chance you can test primegrid's PPS sieve as well? It's gotta be a contender :D

DrPop
03-10-11, 04:51 PM
Which Aqua WUs were you running, or was it a mix? Because I've heard that there are stark differences in credits among WUs...

That's a good question - I don't know how to run any fancy opti-apps or anything on either of these projects, so this is simply a mix of whatever WUs the projects randomly sent me over about a 3 week period.

Basically, my results would be for whoever just simply "attached" to the project with no further tweaking...=:)

Maxwell
03-10-11, 05:01 PM
That's a good question - I don't know how to run any fancy opti-apps or anything on either of these projects, so this is simply a mix of whatever WUs the projects randomly sent me over about a 3 week period.

Basically, my results would be for whoever just simply "attached" to the project with no further tweaking...=:)
Nothing optimized, just picking the subproject from your Preferences on their site. I've heard there is some wonkiness with the ROQS WUs, which is why I was asking.

joker
03-10-11, 06:05 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha......you said wonkiness.

Mr. Hankey
03-10-11, 06:13 PM
OK...have finished a few weeks worth of averaging, and these numbers might not hold true for everyone, but here's what I got.

On a 32bit OS, AQUA actually beats out AndrOINC by roughly 35%.

On a 64bit OS, AndrOINC beats AQUA by about 16%.

We all know there is a points loss when running AQUA on a 32bit rig vs a 64bit rig, but there is a much LARGER penalty for running AndrOINC on a 32bit rig. These findings could be with my machines only, but I tested both Intel and AMD CPUs on this, and I'm sure it has something to do with each project's code.

So, bottom line for my rigs, at least - AQUA is still the most points per day on 32bit OS. AndrOINC is the new reigning king for 64bit OS.

Hope this info helps some of you on the fence, wanting most points per day.

I think this is only true for windows..... the linux credits in AndrOINC were the suck last time I tried it... not even close to AQUA.

trigggl
03-10-11, 06:53 PM
I think this is only true for windows..... the linux credits in AndrOINC were the suck last time I tried it... not even close to AQUA.
I had the same experience. I wonder if there's been any change since then.

DrPop
03-10-11, 10:08 PM
Ah, OK. Good point. I have edited my post to reflect that this info is for Windows boxes.
Thanks guys.
Which brings the question...why would it be worse in Linux? From what little I've used Linux, it appears to be a very lean / fast OS. Does that just mean they don't know how to code properly for Linux?

Crazybob
03-10-11, 10:11 PM
I'm all for points, so keep the info comming. I have my machines the exact opposite, so if this holds true, I need to be doing some switchng!

trigggl
03-11-11, 12:29 AM
Ah, OK. Good point. I have edited my post to reflect that this info is for Windows boxes.
Thanks guys.
Which brings the question...why would it be worse in Linux? From what little I've used Linux, it appears to be a very lean / fast OS. Does that just mean they don't know how to code properly for Linux?

It may be, that since there's a wide range of distros out there and many different versions of the kernel the app has to be more generic. Generic is harder to optimize.