PDA

View Full Version : How do you email these days?

Beerdrinker
02-14-16, 02:39 PM
Hey there,

Currently the wife and I are using Gmail directly in Chrome browser, and on the phone. But over the last couple of months, the thougth about moving away from Google and their ads (which I never buy from) has stroke my mind.

What do you do?

Do you log-on from your phone only?
Do you have a seperat mail program on your pc?

Any other tips?

I am not looking for any super-duper hack-free solution, as I have nothing to hide...Itīs just I have been with google for over 10 years, and I am affraid that I am stuck forever...

Al
02-14-16, 03:51 PM
Hi Beer! I use both Gmail and the service provided by my ISP. The one through my ISP is for family and friends. The Gmail account is for everything else. Both are received on my phone in case it's something I need to deal with quickly. I use Windows Live Mail on my desktop, though I like Thunderbird also.

Beerdrinker
02-14-16, 05:04 PM
Hi Beer! I use both Gmail and the service provided by my ISP. The one through my ISP is for family and friends. The Gmail account is for everything else. Both are received on my phone in case it's something I need to deal with quickly. I use Windows Live Mail on my desktop, though I like Thunderbird also.

Thanks for the reply. Do you use Windows Live Mail with Gmail as well?

Some of my thougths about this, is also that over the years my wife has handed out our email to so many services - that it would be hard to set up a new email and ask her to only give family. After a while she would "fall in" again. Same thing about my online banking. I use 2-3 different browsers, on which 1 of them is used ONLY for banking, so that FB and other stuff has no chance.

Thanks for any reply.

Al
02-14-16, 05:22 PM
Though I could, I don't. I access my Gmail account via a browser when necessary, though I usually handle all incoming Gmail via my phone. If it's junk I just side swipe to delete which also deletes it on the Gmail server.

zombie67
02-14-16, 08:05 PM
There is a gmail client for android and IOS. On IOS and OSX, the built in email clients can hands regular ISP email as well as gmail accounts. Not sure what people use on windows, probably Thunderbird.

Justgeo1
02-15-16, 12:05 AM
Since I don't have a phone... no need for one. I prefer to use MSOffice Outlook through Comcast. I also have a Gmail and a Yahoo mail accout that I check with one of my browsers... 90% of my personal and commercial email comes into the Comcast system and I have filters in place with Outlook and my A/V program to keep things clean. I've used Outlook for over 15 years or more... it works the way I want it to and I don't get any ads except in my junk mail folder, which neuters them and posts them in plain text only... :)

trigggl
02-16-16, 06:19 PM
I pay $20 USD a year to Yahoo so that I can keep pop mail use with it and without ads. I can hook up to it anywhere with any device. I was mostly checking it from work, though I've stopped doing that (recent hyper-security mentality by company). I don't mind $20 a year for an email account I've had for 2 decades.

pinhodecarlos
02-21-16, 04:13 AM
Use gmail either through browser either through my iPhone.