PDA

View Full Version : So You wanna Be a Computer Geek

John P. Myers
03-07-16, 10:31 PM
Found this pic over at Tweaktown of someone "building" their computer... =))

shiva
03-08-16, 09:47 AM
what a mess :)

c303a
03-08-16, 10:00 AM
Nice. It doesn't look like they tried to use it. I hope they tried alcohol to clean it. Maybe an RMA for stupidity?

Bryan
03-08-16, 12:18 PM
Just hope is was "non conductive" thermal compound =)) Of course it could be Elmer's glue ... ya know when the instructions said "stick the processor into the socket"

Duke of Buckingham
03-08-16, 07:23 PM
http://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screen-Shot-2013-04-01-at-1.11.46-PM.jpg
more tasty this one in my opinion.

Dave gpu
03-08-16, 07:53 PM

Fire$torm
03-08-16, 08:07 PM
Found this pic over at Tweaktown of someone "building" their computer... =))

Hysterical...

Cruncher Pete
03-08-16, 11:14 PM
Just hope is was "non conductive" thermal compound =)) Of course it could be Elmer's glue ... ya know when the instructions said "stick the processor into the socket"

Now I know why my next door neighbor did not succeed in his computer business. He decided that there was more money to be made from selling watermelons. He brought a truck load full of it at $1.00 each and decided to sell it on special to make a quick buck at .50c each. At the end of the day his mate said: "We ain't making much money". My smart neighbor replied: "We just have to get a bigger truck".

Actually, our local tech could not make it and closed. One day, I saw an Industrial bin outside his shop that had a sign on that stated: "Take it it is free." Well, I had no use for the Industrial bin so decided to check its contents and I managed to scrounge quite a number of goodies that might come in handy in our hobby. There were a lot of old Mother Boards but I figured, that will not be any good for me as I am sure he would not have thrown them out if they were good . There was one however that caught my eyes that had two coolers attached and the fans looked quite new, no sign of dust or corrosion. I thought the coolers will come in handy. The M/B Board was a Supermicro X8DTi-F board containing two Xeon X5650 processors that made the system essentially a 24 core board. You guessed it, I shoved some spare RAM in it, turned it on and low and behold it came to life. How lucky can you get...Funny enough, there was another guy there doing the same thing and I noticed his car was choker block full with bits and pieces and happened to mention that it is a shame throwing so many usable things out. It turned out that he was a Tech who ended up buying the lease and opened up another computer shop. Twelve months or so later he is still in business and tell me he is doing OK. Mind you, I don't use him for I am a cheap skate and get my parts delivered to my door cheaper than he sell them at his shop. I hope he sell up quick for I need more parts...

Haunted Forest
03-09-16, 01:08 AM
https://vimeo.com/158289171
I too have this problem

HF

nanoprobe
03-09-16, 01:47 PM
Maybe an RMA for stupidity?

My grandpa used to say you can't cure stupid. :rolleyes:

c303a
03-09-16, 01:53 PM
The old saying...I can deal with ignorance but I can't do anything about stupidity.