PDA

View Full Version : BoincTasks Problem

Al
04-29-16, 08:19 AM
Any BT gurus have any idea on what is causing this problem? I run BTs on my personal computer to monitor and adjust all my computers and it has worked great up until the last week or so. I can do most everything I need, except detach from a project, reset a project or abort a wu. If I do any of those 3 the command will not be issued and it locks BTs up solid. I have to use Task Manager to shut it down and then restart. It works fine after the restart until I forget and try to do any of those 3 things. It's quite aggravating. It is the latest version (not the beta) and I've had it installed for months. Win 7 OS. I really haven't changed a thing prior to this happening, but something obviously changed. Any ideas?

Bryan
04-29-16, 11:55 AM
Is when you try to do that on a Windows machine, Linux, or either one?

nanoprobe
04-29-16, 12:45 PM
Install any Win7 updates in the last week?

Al
04-29-16, 02:25 PM
When I do them on any os and I have not updated win 7 in months.

nanoprobe
04-29-16, 03:10 PM
OK. Always here of windoze updates borking stuff.

Al
04-29-16, 04:16 PM
OK. Always here of windoze updates borking stuff.
Nope, not an update. It's strange...try to abort a task and the next time you click anywhere on a BTS screen you get a Windows error ding.

nanoprobe
04-29-16, 04:18 PM
Could your BT install have somehow been corrupted. Maybe an remove/reinstall might fix it.

Al
04-29-16, 04:56 PM
Could your BT install have somehow been corrupted. Maybe an remove/reinstall might fix it.
Well, I did do a reinstall while still having it installed, thinking it might fix any corrupted files...it didnt. I was actually trying to avoid resetting/reattaching everything, but it might come to that anyway.

Al
05-21-18, 09:37 PM
Any BT gurus have any idea on what is causing this problem? I run BTs on my personal computer to monitor and adjust all my computers and it has worked great up until the last week or so. I can do most everything I need, except detach from a project, reset a project or abort a wu. If I do any of those 3 the command will not be issued and it locks BTs up solid. I have to use Task Manager to shut it down and then restart. It works fine after the restart until I forget and try to do any of those 3 things. It's quite aggravating. It is the latest version (not the beta) and I've had it installed for months. Win 7 OS. I really haven't changed a thing prior to this happening, but something obviously changed. Any ideas?

After 2 years I finally got this fixed with Fred's help at eFMer. The solution:

Close BoincTasks
Start regedit
and go here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTas ks\window_position
Now delete all keys starting with Yes_no
Restart BoincTasks.

Ron Shurtz
05-21-18, 10:15 PM
I copied and saved this to my fixes folder.

I missed the post initially since I was using BOINC Manager instead of BT at the time.

After I started using BT on each machine, one of my three had the freeze problem that hit me every time I forgot and tried to abort a WU.

I have since reset that computer from scratch for other reasons, but it looks like this would have fixed my issue also.

I have now graduated to controlling all my machines (3) from one instance of BT.

Thanks for sharing the info.
I'll keep it incase it pops up again.