PDA

View Full Version : hurricane Matthew

Dave gpu
10-05-16, 06:03 PM
Well it looks like hurricane Matthew is still heading to my location. Time to take the rigs offline and secure in watertight containers.
Hope to be back online sun [-(
If I still have a roof.

Mumps
10-05-16, 06:44 PM
Best of luck Dave GPU! And if they tell ya you need to evacuate, pay attention!

c303a
10-05-16, 06:49 PM
Ditto to what Mumps said. It's a wise person who knows when to do a strategic withdrawal. Be safe.

dcushing
10-05-16, 07:20 PM
I invested in cat 5 stuff long ago... (roof, windows, generator, etc) after hurricane Katrina...
Tornado going to have to take me out!
Its gonna be rough. Id send U some ear plugs, but I think its too late for that...
the noise, oh the noise of the wind!
Just that noise of the wind, will drive anyone batty....

zombie67
10-05-16, 10:48 PM
My family lives in Cocoa Beach and Ocala. Really hoping it avoids FL.

John P. Myers
10-06-16, 04:21 AM
Really hoping it avoids FL.

Gonna hit FL pretty good near Cocoa Beach. Boca Raton (my hometown) looks like it's gonna get smacked quite hard as well. Wish i still lived there.

Ocala should be ok. Lots of wind and rain and maybe minor flooding but nothing too serious.

nanoprobe
10-06-16, 12:16 PM
I live about 30 miles inland from Cape Canaveral. Looks like that area will be at or near ground zero. I live in the middle unit of a 3 unit townhouse so I'm pretty protected and will be riding out the storm. The worst winds will be from the NE to NW and that is the least exposed area of my home. I'm sure the power will go out but I'll be online till then. Hope everyone in harms way near the coast has evacuated.
David.

Al
10-06-16, 05:45 PM
I was just looking at the models and all run up the coast of Florida and half have it doing a loop and running right back across Florida for a 2nd hit. Let's hope those model are wrong.

Dave gpu
10-06-16, 06:32 PM
I live about 30 miles inland from Cape Canaveral. Looks like that area will be at or near ground zero. I live in the middle unit of a 3 unit townhouse so I'm pretty protected and will be riding out the storm. The worst winds will be from the NE to NW and that is the least exposed area of my home. I'm sure the power will go out but I'll be online till then. Hope everyone in harms way near the coast has evacuated.
David.

What no hurricane party \m/

scole of TSBT
10-06-16, 06:38 PM
Hope the best for the folks in Florida.

It's not unusual for everyone to get excited when a storm is predicted and chant "Hurricane party!" (I still do :) ) but once you're staring down it's throat, it get's hairy. Good luck guys.

cineon_lut
10-06-16, 06:54 PM

Was visiting Florida back when Floyd hit in 1999. Experienced a hurricane party, they are actually fun. Be safe, and get out if they tell you to get out.

Duke of Buckingham
10-06-16, 08:01 PM
The best for all that are in Matthew way, hope everyone is safe.

nanoprobe
10-06-16, 10:22 PM
Not for me. 3 soldiers who were stationed with me in 1969 went home on leave just before hurricane Camille slammed into the Mississippi gulf coastal. Two of those 3 soldiers died when the 20+ foot storm surge swept them out of the second story hotel room they were in while attending a hurricane party. The only survivor somehow managed to cling to a bed mattress as he went crashing through a window into the water. One of the soldiers bodies was never recovered.