PDA

View Full Version : GPU Heat Issues

Aux10
03-19-11, 11:23 PM
As some of you may know I recently got a new GTX 460 and installed it in Cassandra to go with my GTS 250. This configuration works great and all but there is one problem I have, heat. The system it's self isn't over heating and the GPUs are running at the nice and toasty temperature of 60C. The problem though is that this monster makes my room the hottest room in the house! Now over the winter with our freezing weather and all it wasn't really a problem but now that it's warmed up a bit it has. Here's an idea, yesterday it was 60F out and the house was 71F with the AC on. My room though was a killer 76F! My only solution has been to idle my 250 but it didn't seem to help much. What do you gu...
*snaps in tears*
:(( I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP IN A SWEATY BED A SUMMER! :((

joker
03-19-11, 11:57 PM
Open up the side of the case and point a 20" fan at them! :p

Aux10
03-20-11, 12:03 AM
Open up the side of the case and point a 20" fan at them! :p

There is currently a 200mm side case fan blowing at them. The whole thing is made of fans

Front case fan. 200mm
Rear case fan. 120mm
Side case fan. 200mm
Bottom cas fan. 120mm
Top case fan. 200mm
CPU fan. 120mm
PSU fan. 140mm
GTS 250 fan. stock
GTX 460 fan. stock
That makes a total of nine fans.

Maxwell
03-20-11, 01:53 AM
Is there any venting you can do, or can you pull a Hankey and put the box outside/under the house?

Harley
03-20-11, 09:44 AM
If you can, put your box below a window and put a fan in the window. Also try running different projects. Some projects run much cooler than others. If all else fails you'll have to start down clocking your cards when the weather really starts to heat up. Living in Florida I've had to do all the above.

dan
03-20-11, 10:26 AM
My two boxes are push a 1,000 watts running Bonic, in a small room. It's like having a 1,000 watt heater in the room all day. I'm thinking putting a room fan in to push air out of the room. There isn't a real good solution, the heat from all those watts has to go somewhere.

Fire$torm
03-20-11, 12:51 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, my room hits 85+ by morning...... So this may sound extreme but it is the solution I plan on using. Add a return vent for the Central Air directly over the area where the computers are. For me that would be over my desk.

Crazybob
03-20-11, 02:38 PM
I have 5 boxes in this room. 2 with GPU's. It cost too much to try to keep this room cool in the summer. I have double hung windows, so I put a window fan in the window and leave the top cracked. I shut the floor vent off and keep the door closed. Temps hold in the 80's. but it works unless you need to be in the room and then it's grab a towel and sauna time!:)

dan
03-20-11, 05:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, my room hits 85+ by morning...... So this may sound extreme but it is the solution I plan on using. Add a return vent for the Central Air directly over the area where the computers are. For me that would be over my desk.

Nice! That's the best idea I've heard yet. My computers are over an unfinished part of the basement, so it's doable

Aux10
03-20-11, 07:25 PM
As it just happens to be the air return vent is in fact in my room, not sure if it's really helping or not.

Fire$torm
03-20-11, 09:05 PM
Nice! That's the best idea I've heard yet. My computers are over an unfinished part of the basement, so it's doable

I might end up doing it sooner then I thought. If I manage to swing it before you I'll post the results here.

As it just happens to be the air return vent is in fact in my room, not sure if it's really helping or not.

In all seriousness the easiest way to find out would be to close or block the vent and give it a couple of hours.

I intend to make the return vent active by using an inline fan unit. I will be setting it up to turn on with the main central air fan probably with a relay powered through a step-down transformer from the C/A power tap. This will avoid stringing wire running 220V/120V half way through the attic.

Shadow
03-21-11, 02:05 AM
I had the same problem with my new 6970's. They were running in the high 80's with the fans set at 75%. I threw on some aftermarket heat sinks and fans, made a huge difference, both in the case and the room. I used these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186043&Tpk=accelero%20xtreme%20plus

They're expensive, but well worth it. Dropped my gpu temps down to the mid 60's and they're super quiet, even at 100%. Running DNETC with the stock fans, they sounded like an F-16 ready to be launched off a carrier.

dan
03-21-11, 05:45 AM
I had the same problem with my new 6970's. They were running in the high 80's with the fans set at 75%. I threw on some aftermarket heat sinks and fans, made a huge difference, both in the case and the room. I used these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186043&Tpk=accelero%20xtreme%20plus

They're expensive, but well worth it. Dropped my gpu temps down to the mid 60's and they're super quiet, even at 100%. Running DNETC with the stock fans, they sounded like an F-16 ready to be launched off a carrier.

Interesting, my 580 runs with similar fans and keeps the temps in the mid 40s at full load. Wonder how that would help the room temps if I added it to my 5870 as the heat still has to go some where.

Gopher_FreeDC
03-21-11, 09:10 AM
You should try it on a 4650HD with just heat pipes hmm not saying I've seen it turn off before but I've seen the card act weird - hits 65c when gaming, no idea what it does when on a GPU project, although sitting at 44c basically idle with a cooling fan on it.

Dandasarge
03-21-11, 09:41 AM
Interesting, my 580 runs with similar fans and keeps the temps in the mid 40s at full load. Wonder how that would help the room temps if I added it to my 5870 as the heat still has to go some where.

Please note that the CPU’s are going to put off the same amount of heat no matter what heat sink you use. The lower temps mean that the heat is getting out of the system into the air faster. Its not going to change how warm it makes the air in your room.

I’m not arguing that you shouldn’t get better heat sinks because its critical to the systems in our application. It will greatly improve long term performance.

My dad uses an enclosed 42u rack with fans on top he has it mounted on his back porch. I would say this is the worst thing you could ever do but it works. I am not sure how it doesn’t crash everything I know about computers tells me that it would have moisture issues when it rains and heat issues in the middle of Aug. It’s been 3-4 years and he has never had either of these issues. It is screen enclosed and 7-8 feet from the nearest outside wall. I would not tell anyone to do this as I’ve had computers crash in my garage from the moisture. Maybe its that his computers run so hot that the condensation is to thin to effect anything?

Please remember this summer that ever 1000W of computer will take about 500-700w to cool.