Thread: PCI-E 1X to 16x Extended riser adapters

Silver Member

PCI-E 1X to 16x Extended riser adapters

As most of you know, I've been on a little journey doing "other" stuff. I'm in the middle of upgrading my GPU's which is being a real pain. I've been thrown a bone so to speak with this little tidbit to increase my "computing" to use all pci-e slots instead of being forced to only use what a computer usually has in the way of pci-e 16x slots. Would this be a viable way to stomp a little more gpu power for next year's P? I'm seeing low cost older boards stomp the crap out of newer rigs when it comes to gpu power. I' know it's only 1x power.....and BOINC is far more demanding on gpus than what these are normally run for. I'm considering doing at least one system like this IF I can outfit all my normal pci-e 16x slots with something more than a push mower. 6 gpus per mobo just seems like it's begging me to upgrade my weakest system by using these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Past Administrator

Re: PCI-E 1X to 16x Extended riser adapters

Hmm, that's a neat little piece of hardware. Thx for the heads up.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

I think Boinc will only use/see 4 GPUs.

Silver Member

@ Shandia, check your PMs.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I think Boinc will only use/see 4 GPUs.
    Don't know about Enterprise, server or newer versions (8, 8.1 or 10)of Windows but 7 Pro would only see 4 GPUs when I was mining back in the day.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

When GPU crunching was new, there were bunches of youtube videos of scientists building GPU crunchers with 8 GPUs. Not sure what OS they were using. Maybe linux. But that doesn't seem right, since linux drivers were kind of hard to come by that early.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    When GPU crunching was new, there were bunches of youtube videos of scientists building GPU crunchers with 8 GPUs. Not sure what OS they were using. Maybe linux. But that doesn't seem right, since linux drivers were kind of hard to come by that early.
    There were hacks for Windows where you could run as many GPUs as you had PCI-E slots. Even 1X ones. They were a huge PITA to set up but I had 2 MSI boards that ran 7 GPUs each. And yes, it was a cooling nightmare.

Diamond Member

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne