Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Participation in Challenges

Administrator

Automatic Participation in Challenges

We've made a request to BoincStats that we join new challenges automatically. Currently, we have to join each challenge manually; having this done would be a time saver.

Willy has said, "You ask it here (the BoincStats forum) but you also send me a link (or you post it in this thread) to your team forum where you announce the automatic participation. This is so I'm absolutely sure that your team agrees."

As you can see, we must agree to this as a team before Willy will enable the feature. As a reminder, this is a public posting that will be seen on the BoincStats forum; so don't give away any trade secrets.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Re: Automatic Participation in Challenges

I'm all for it!

Administrator

Great idea ... in fact you admins were so dog gone good at signing us up I thought we were already doing it

Diamond Member

Agreed!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Sounds good to me, and we can all pick the ones we like to participate in.

Gold Member

Automatic Participation in Challenges

I will vote a nay. I've never been a fan of entering a challenge where we don't intend to fight. Also, It sends the wrong message to challenge issuers who are ignorant of other boinc events such as the pentathlon. They should know what's going on in the world before scheduling a boinc-wide event.

Challenges also show a good level of detail on resource allocation during said events. We may not want our stats tracked so closely during certain times.

It's not a showstopper. Don't hold this change back because of one nay vote. In the end it doesn't really hurt anything--it's all about what message we're trying to send.

Vic (mobile)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by cineon_lut View Post
    I will vote a nay. I've never been a fan of entering a challenge where we don't intend to fight. Also, It sends the wrong message to challenge issuers who are ignorant of other boinc events such as the pentathlon. They should know what's going on in the world before scheduling a boinc-wide event.

Challenges also show a good level of detail on resource allocation during said events. We may not want our stats tracked so closely during certain times.

It's not a showstopper. Don't hold this change back because of one nay vote. In the end it doesn't really hurt anything--it's all about what message we're trying to send.

Vic (mobile)
    I know I haven't participated much lately but I agree with this. don't know if we want a bunch of challenges the we show up as another ALSO RAN, because our high value crunchers didn't show up for a challenge. I know the the monthly runs that are showing up all the time will not be something that I'm interested in.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Administrator

So do we have all the comments about this that we're going to get?

I'll wait a few more days then send a link to Willy.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

I guess my last word would be that we've been entered in all challenges, individually, for the better part of a year anyway. Doing so autimatically will free up admin time and be one less thing to do. Also, we don't need to win every challenge to have fun with them. Occasionally it's nice to not have the big boys involved so that members with less horsepower actually get a chance to see themselves on the first page. Just my closing thoughts.

Administrator

It would appear that Willy has enabled the automatic participation feature. We were entered into a GPUGRID challenge at the end of January that I didn't do... so that's good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast