Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DistrRTgen app_info file

Platinum Member

DistrRTgen app_info file

I recently put in a new CUDA card, and put it on DistrRTgen to get to my 1M there. As I was futzing with it, I noticed how horrifically inefficient the app is. So, I spent a bit of time getting an app_info file running for the project - it is running the stock app, but has set the CPU priority to high and runs 2 WUs at once.

This is working on Win7x64, 6.10.58. Here it is, if anyone is interested:

Code:
    <app_info>
     <app>
     <name>distrrtgen</name>
     </app>
     <file_info>
      <name>distrrtgen_3.20_windows_intelx86__cuda23.exe</name>
      <executable/>
     </file_info>
      <file_info>
      <name>cudart.dll</name>
      <executable/>
     </file_info>
      <file_info>
      <name>charset.txt</name>
     </file_info>

<app_version>
      <app_name>distrrtgen</app_name>
      <version_num>320</version_num>
      <plan_class>cuda</plan_class>
      <avg_ncpus>0.75</avg_ncpus>
      <max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
     <flops>1.0e11</flops> 
      <coproc>
       <type>CUDA</type>
       <count>0.5</count>
       </coproc>
       <cmdline>p3 b-1</cmdline>
      <file_ref>
       <file_name>distrrtgen_3.20_windows_intelx86__cuda23.exe</file_name>
       <main_program/>
      </file_ref>
       <file_ref>
       <file_name>cudart.dll</file_name>
       <copy_file/>
      </file_ref>
       <file_ref>
       <file_name>charset.txt</file_name>
       <copy_file/>
      </file_ref>
      </app_version>
    </app_info>

Diamond Member

Re: DistrRTgen app_info file

How much does it improve performance?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    How much does it improve performance?
    I didn't get much of a baseline in terms of credits (pending, impatience, etc). But I'm watching the GPU load. Running one at a time, the typical load was about 50% - now it's >95%. Completion times have not noticeably increased, either. I'll post my credit total at the end of the day.

Diamond Member

I only have a handful of tasks validated so far, but this is what I found:

GTX 580:
    o Normal: Run time averaged 70 seconds and pay averaged 51. That works out to about 63,330/day.
    o With app_info: Run time averaged 133 seconds and pay averaged 61. That works out to about 78,865/day.

GTX 295:
    o Normal: Run time averaged 352 seconds and pay averaged 1231. That works out to about 30,234/day.
    o With app_info: Run time averaged 524 seconds and pay averaged 61. That works out to about 40.057/day.

The odd bit is around the credits awarded. Normally, they vary between 48 to 54 per task on the 580. But with the app_info, they are all awarded the exact same 60.74 credits. Similar situation with the 295, all exactly 60.74.

Platinum Member

That's really interesting - I am not seeing the same behavior. I'm seeing huge variation in the number of credits awarded, from ~40 to ~142, with an average of 60.79 (damn close to your fixed value).

Since you did it, I went in and calculated numbers, and I'm seeing a similar gain. My number of normal WUs is fairly small, but I was getting 48k/day on a 570 normal, and 59k/day with the app_info file.

Diamond Member

Just curious, why did you pick .75 CPU per? With my GTX 295, that is taking 3 of my 4 CPUs...not leaving much for crunching. Can this be lowered at all, without impacting the performance? Anyone feel like doing some experiments?

Platinum Member

I used 0.75 because the default was 0.85, and 0.75 seemed rounder - completely arbitrary, but I wanted to stick close.

For the record: At exactly 06:00 UTC 27 March 2011, I changed it over to 0.25. Anything reported after that time has the new app_info system...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I used 0.75 because the default was 0.85, and 0.75 seemed rounder - completely arbitrary, but I wanted to stick close.

For the record: At exactly 06:00 UTC 27 March 2011, I changed it over to 0.25. Anything reported after that time has the new app_info system...

I think the "default" is based on the stats of the GPU. The faster the GPU, the higher the percentage of CPU required (to keep up, I assume). For example, the default of my 295 is .69, and for my 9500GT PCI is .27.

Platinum Member

After dropping the CPU usage down to 0.25, I haven't seen a difference. I'm calculating around 58k/day now, well within the margin of error for the number of WUs I've run.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    After dropping the CPU usage down to 0.25, I haven't seen a difference. I'm calculating around 58k/day now, well within the margin of error for the number of WUs I've run.
    I think you're wrong, Maxwell...

After running it for a while at 0.25, I was noticing a severe lack of GPU loading on average - it was hovering around 55% on average. I changed it back up to 0.50 CPU/WU, and (running two WUs) this leaves 1 core dedicated to feeding the GPU. Since I made this change, my GPU load is above 95% on average. Yay!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast