Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DistrRTgen app_info file

Past Administrator

Re: DistrRTgen app_info file

Hey, out of curiosity is anyone still using an app_info file for this project?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Don't see the need, they can't keep up with us as it is. I currently have 700+ wu's pending.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Don't see the need, they can't keep up with us as it is. I currently have 700+ wu's pending.
    Yeah, but that's a different issue, and will be resolved shortly. It shouldn't stop anyone from crunching, as the credits will be awarded eventually. No crunching time or credits lost.

About the app_info: It used to be that the app under-utalized the GPU. By using the app_info to run 2 tasks per GPU, you got almost 100% utilization, and better over all credits/day. However, they recently updated the app. Now the tasks run at near 100% GPU load, which is great. No app_info needed any more.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

I haven't stopped crunching and I won't, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true....they can't keep up with usand I feel it will be an ongoing issue. Just sayin'

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I haven't stopped crunching and I won't, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true....they can't keep up with usand I feel it will be an ongoing issue. Just sayin'
    Only just recently have they encountered an issue, since they increased their credits to compete with PG. But it's not been an ongoing issue or anything. The last time this happened (something like 6-12 months ago), they immediately upgraded their HW. They just today posed that they would be upgrading their HW again in two weeks. Why do you feel it will be an ongoing issue? What have you read that I haven't? Maybe I missed something.

In any case, that has nothing to do with GPU utilization, which is what this thread is about. We should be maximizing utilization regardless of the amount of work. The faster we crunch distrrtgen tasks, the faster we free up the GPUs to crunch other projects when distrrtgen is out. It all about maximizing utilization. An half-used GPU is a crime against humanity.

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Only just recently have they encountered an issue, since they increased their credits to compete with PG. But it's not been an ongoing issue or anything. The last time this happened (something like 6-12 months ago), they immediately upgraded their HW. They just today posed that they would be upgrading their HW again in two weeks. Why do you feel it will be an ongoing issue? What have you read that I haven't? Maybe I missed something.

In any case, that has nothing to do with GPU utilization, which is what this thread is about. We should be maximizing utilization regardless of the amount of work. The faster we crunch distrrtgen tasks, the faster we free up the GPUs to crunch other projects when distrrtgen is out. It all about maximizing utilization. An half-used GPU is a crime against humanity.
    I like that statement about crime against humanity. Keep on crunching and have a nice day...

Diamond Member

Is there any app_info for ATI to use at DistrRTgen to run multiple tasks?

I will start thinking on bunker some Dirty, just for precaution ...

Bunkered Duke
    Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 09-19-12 at 09:01 AM.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

I didn't find that an app_info.xml was necessary. GPU load was very close to 100% naturally.

Diamond Member

Maybe descending a point on CPU use to 99% that could be true. I had instability problems on the pass but I didn't learn tho lowered CPU use to feed the GPU as it should. Thanks Z. The Asteroid man.

Very Crazy Duke searching for apps, where none is needed.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

Okay, now that I am crunching this project again, I am seeing only 88-94% utilization on my 7970. I think there may be an advantage to using an app_info.xml after all.

Soooo, does anyone have an app_info.xml for ATI/AMD?

Edit: Nevermind. Reserving an extra core solved it. The app already reserves .989 of a core, which I would have thought was plenty. But reserving another full core has the GPU utilization pegged at 97-98%.
    Last edited by zombie67; 09-24-12 at 08:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast