Thread: Xeon ES CPU opinion

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Xeon ES CPU opinion

There's a couple listings on Ebay like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/192083058809 for a 14 core Xeon ES CPU. They are referring to it as..."Xeon E5 2690 V4 ES QHV5 SR2N2 14Core 2.4GHz". The HWiNFO doesn't appear to show it under max load. I asked the seller if they could provide that and they said they were too busy. There's another forum post where a guy says he has what appears to be the same CPU and he posted a HWiNFO shot showing the CPU maxing out all cores at 3Ghz. All the info from both posts appear to be identical other than one HWiNFO appears to show the cpu idle.
    Here's the other forum post...https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...n.5031/page-23

Can anyone point out what is different between the two or offer an opinion as to why one should or should not think the CPUs on Ebay are the same and will max at 3Ghz? I understand items on Ebay are not always what they claim to be.

Gold Member

Re: Xeon ES CPU opinion

I bought an Engineering Sample E5-2670 V3 on ebay, super cheap and specs are very close to retail model. I get 2500Mhz speed on all cores, spec says 2600Mhz. So the ES products may or may not meet the full spec of the retail model, but they'll be pretty dang close and at a huge savings.

I'm ok with ES CPUs. I have a couple already that run great. I'm trying to figure out if the CPUs I linked to on Ebay are ones that will max all cores at 3Ghz and if not, what they will run all cores at. Seller not helping. They list ES code QHV5 and I don't know if all CPUs with that code run exactly the same or whether they can vary. I don't want to buy them if all cores run at less than 2.8Ghz at full load.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I'm ok with ES CPUs. I have a couple already that run great. I'm trying to figure out if the CPUs I linked to on Ebay are ones that will max all cores at 3Ghz and if not, what they will run all cores at. Seller not helping. They list ES code QHV5 and I don't know if all CPUs with that code run exactly the same or whether they can vary. I don't want to buy them if all cores run at less than 2.8Ghz at full load.
    I don't trust that ebay listing. It seems off - that pic is NOT of an ES CPU. At the same time, you'd be likely to hit 2.7GHz on all cores with a 2690 V4 ES, but that's about it. Not certain exactly what the guy on that forum post was up to in order to pull that off, if it isn't photoshopped. With decent cooling, you can expect all cores to run at 200MHz above the base clock.

FWIW, Xeon X4 ES CPUs are getting cheaper on Ebay. I recently bought 2 Xeon V4 ES QHV7 14c/28t CPUs. 2.2Ghz, turbo all cores at 2.3Ghz. You can find those for $200-$220 per CPU. I also bought 2 Xeon V4 ES QHV5 14c/28t CPUs. 2.4Ghz, turbo all cores at 3.0Ghz. You can find those for $285-$325 per CPU. The cheapest mobo I could find new that will run these is a Supermicro X10DAL-i-o which costs about $325 new from Newegg. $175, $325 or more depending how much and how fast RAM you want. Bit of risk but I've had pretty good luck so far.

EDIT: These CPUs run the heck out of AVX/AVX2 WUs like SRBase and most optimized project apps. Don't need a fancy CPU cooler either. A Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with included fan will keep the QHV7 below 60C under full load. For the QHV5 you'll want to put a better fan on it.
    Last edited by scole of TSBT; 07-04-19 at 07:46 PM.