Thread: Citizen Science Grid: [wildlife] new app: EXACT MNIST BATCH

Diamond Member

Citizen Science Grid: [wildlife] new app: EXACT MNIST BATCH

Well, that went quicker than I thought. The new application is released with new workunits (and they seem to be crunching without issue on my systems). This new version of the application changes the memory layout a bit which I hope will fix some of the issues we've seen with the "monster" workunits -- my hunch is that the larger workunits cause caching issues on some processors resulting in the 10x slower runtimes.

The new version of the application uses batch stochastic gradient descent, instead of stochastic gradient descent, which should keep memory accesses closer to each other and make caching better. It also has the benefit of requiring less epochs to train, so the new WUs should run a fair bit quicker in that regard as well.

I've updated the calculation for credit on these workunits which I believe should scale better to larger workunits. This means the deadlines should also be calculated more accurately. Let me know how the credit rate is (especially as the WUs get larger) and if the deadlines are okay so I can tweak things if need be.

Hoping this makes things run smoother! Let me know if you run into any issues.

More...

Diamond Member

Re: Citizen Science Grid: [wildlife] new app: EXACT MNIST BATCH

A new app.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne