Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about mother board

Gold Member

Re: Question about mother board

Why are my ears burning......

Silver Member

Today I have been running Primegrid all day and I am showing 95353 and it is still going so I think ill do over 100,000 today!

All your base are belong to us!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    Today I have been running Primegrid all day and I am showing 95353 and it is still going so I think ill do over 100,000 today!
    OK, that's pretty good - a little less than what a 9800 GTX+ will get in 24hrs.

But, that was kind of my point, I hope you see what I was trying to say now...you could get another 280 GPU for $100...and net yourself an extra 100K per day.
    OR...you could save until you have $150 to spend, and get yourself a GTX 465...and net yourself (and the team) an EXTRA 500K per day!

All that for about the same electricity cost...

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK, that's pretty good - a little less than what a 9800 GTX+ will get in 24hrs.

But, that was kind of my point, I hope you see what I was trying to say now...you could get another 280 GPU for $100...and net yourself an extra 100K per day.
    OR...you could save until you have $150 to spend, and get yourself a GTX 465...and net yourself (and the team) an EXTRA 500K per day!

All that for about the same electricity cost...
    I get what your saying. I need to sell my gtx 280 to Jeep for 150.00 and then buy the gtx 465!

I was looking on ebay what is the diff between the 465 & 470.

Gold Member

I was looking on ebay what is the diff between the 465 & 470.
    The GTX 465 got me around 360K a day at a little over stock settings (stock 700 MHz and had it running at 800MHz). The GTX 470 gets me around 570K a day with a pretty massive overclock (stock 607MHz and I am running it at 800Mhz). This is all I know.

Past Administrator

The difference is a lot of money in your pocket and BIOS settings. Joker tipped me off to this, and I've been reading lots of review sites about this.

It seems that nearly all GTX 465 cards are actually the same physical hardware as GTX 470, i.e. they have 10 memory chips, etc...but NVIDIA "turned off" some of the features in the BIOS to have a cheaper card to fill a gap in their market.

So...if you get a GTX 465, chances are VERY high that you can O/C it, and BIOS mod it by flashing the BIOS with a downloadable program and make it run like a GTX 470 - because the actual physical hardware is the same.

Believe me, I'm on the lookout for one in the price range I can afford as well - it will be the cheapest way to get our RAC back up where it needs to be! Imagine what it would look like if 50 of us that post here regularly all got an increased 500K per day!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    The difference is a lot of money in your pocket and BIOS settings. Joker tipped me off to this, and I've been reading lots of review sites about this.

It seems that nearly all GTX 465 cards are actually the same physical hardware as GTX 470, i.e. they have 10 memory chips, etc...but NVIDIA "turned off" some of the features in the BIOS to have a cheaper card to fill a gap in their market.

So...if you get a GTX 465, chances are VERY high that you can O/C it, and BIOS mod it by flashing the BIOS with a downloadable program and make it run like a GTX 470 - because the actual physical hardware is the same.

Believe me, I'm on the lookout for one in the price range I can afford as well - it will be the cheapest way to get our RAC back up where it needs to be! Imagine what it would look like if 50 of us that post here regularly all got an increased 500K per day!
    By far the 465 is the best bang for the buck, they often run the same price as the 460's and can do all that crap Drpop said. its basically the 5850 of Nvdia except PG pays better then anyone else.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Silver Member

I have 200.00 that I can spend on a GPU. I was thinking of getting a GTX 465 or 470 then selling my GTX280 on ebay and taking that money to buy another GPU. Do yall think this is the route that I need to go. Next question would it make sense to just spend around 300.00 on a better card and just run one newer card and sell the gtx 280 to recoupe the cost.

I could spend 1500.00 on new gpu but I am married and want to keep it that way at this time! SO... lol

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    I have 200.00 that I can spend on a GPU. I was thinking of getting a GTX 465 or 470 then selling my GTX280 on ebay and taking that money to buy another GPU. Do yall think this is the route that I need to go.
    YES! Get the GTX 465 and mod it. Chances are VERY high you will get a good modding and O/Cing board. The GTX 470 is not worth the extra money.
    If you manage to sell your GTX 280 on Ebay for good dough, then buy a second GTX 465!

Next question would it make sense to just spend around 300.00 on a better card and just run one newer card and sell the gtx 280 to recoupe the cost.

NO. You will not get the return for your $ if you're on that kind of a budget. There is always a "sweet spot" for crunching. For example, a GTX 465 has a compute rating of 30x, and a "newer" GTX 560Ti has a compute rating of only 26x, and cost $100 more!
    You're not after the latest "bells and whistles" BS that they are trying to sell you...if you want points, you're after cores, the bigger and faster the better.

I could spend 1500.00 on new gpu but I am married and want to keep it that way at this time! SO... lol:

LOL! I can so relate to that. So can Mike and any of the other married crunchers on here! Don't do it. She's worth keeping around. Settle for the GTX 465 for now. As she watches you enjoy this hobby, and settle into it, she'll relent a little over time. She can get you a GTX 590 for your birthday next year when the price comes down, LOL!

Silver Member

I just won a evga gtx 465 on ebay for little over 150.00!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast