Thread: Months of SETI 2008 tasks, comp errors, and occational blc. Is this normal?

Smile Months of SETI 2008 tasks, comp errors, and occational blc. Is this normal?

Hello everyone! I'm back after a long absence here but rarely stopped crunching SETI 24/7 two tasks at a time (3 tasks exceed 189F CPU core temp).

I'm using a late 2009 27" iMac OSx ver. 10.12.6 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB.

Tried to attach 357KB 1,085 x 762px PNG screen shot of SETI task window showing problems but it would not upload using "Manage Attachments". Is it too big? I browsed my computer, selected the screen shot png, and clicked on "upload" but that only displayed my PNG file with no click options or anything happening after that.

For too many months running 24/7 I've been getting nothing but year 2008 tasks with occasional blc. Am I caught in a loop or is this normal? I while back I was getting much newer tasks. If I wanted to run only blc, is that possible?

About 20% of all these 2008 tasks automatically reject as "100.000% Computation error (0.244 CPUs + 1 AMD/ATI GPU ....." immediately after download is complete - "using GPU always". With "Suspend GPU" selected, the error still occurs but I must "Abort" to get them removed from my task screen. Is this normal?

Thanks for reading this far.
    SETI screenshot.png
    Last edited by Grissom; 09-29-17 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Attaching SETI Screen Shot
    http://www.setiusa.us/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2331&dateline=1506647  573 Why I have a need to know...

Administrator

Re: Months of SETI 2008 tasks, comp errors, and occational blc. Is this normal?

I can't help with the errors you are getting.
    The reason your .png file is not uploading is that it is too large.
    The maximum size for a .png file is 48.8k (620x280).
    If you get into the Manage Attachments area and click on the little blue question mark in the upper right corner, you will get a list of maximum file sizes for the different graphic file formats.
    I normally reduce a graphic file by opening it up in a graphic editor like paint.net and resaving it as a .jpg file in a smaller size by selecting a smaller quality setting during the save process.

Thank you Ron. That worked!
    http://www.setiusa.us/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2331&dateline=1506647  573 Why I have a need to know...

Ha! Velly funny. The day after I complain about getting too many months of nothing but 2008 tasks, I start getting half 2007 and half 2008.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
    Ha! Velly funny. The day after I complain about getting too many months of nothing but 2008 tasks, I start getting half 2007 and half 2008.
    I wonder if they are re-hashing the older years' data with new algorithms? I thought I read somewhere that the granularity of their computations had improved by (don't quote me on this) something like a factor of 3 or something significant like that. So maybe they think we missed something back when we ran them in 2007/8? Computing power is certainly way higher now, so maybe that allows them a "finer tooth comb"? I'm not sure either, but just some speculation for you...

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I wonder if they are re-hashing the older years' data with new algorithms? I thought I read somewhere that the granularity of their computations had improved by (don't quote me on this) something like a factor of 3 or something significant like that. So maybe they think we missed something back when we ran them in 2007/8? Computing power is certainly way higher now, so maybe that allows them a "finer tooth comb"? I'm not sure either, but just some speculation for you...
    I would think that if true, SETI would publish this in BOINC Manger 'Notices' --> the best way to inform millions of distressed SETI@home users to stop pondering what I've been pondering. Even 'Pinky and The Brain' know that.