Thread: New BOINC download won't install

Past Administrator

New BOINC download won't install

So it looks like the latest download that BOINC suggested to me in the "notifications" area doesn't work. For whatever reason, it gets almost done with the install and then says it needs to have a file that is on some network location that is unavailable. Like what the heck? Anyone else experienced this? Cheetah is out of commission until I get this fixed, because now BOINC won't run at all...

Platinum Member

Re: New BOINC download won't install

Windows? And is it suggesting 7.8.3? And what is the file and location it's complaining about? And did you download the installer from the Berkeley DL repository?

Past Administrator

Yeah, Win 10, 64 bit. I downloaded the recommended installer just like I always do, exited BOINC, and then ran the file. It gets almost all the way done with the install, and then gives me an error about needing a file located on a network location that it can't access. Kind of bizarre. I'll see if I can replicate it and get a screen shot of the error.

Past Administrator

I tried downloading the file a couple times, and restarting the rig twice just in case, too.
    Here is the error:

boincinstall.jpg

Platinum Member

That may be a problem simply running it from wherever you downloaded it. Have you tried putting it somewhere other than your Downloads directory perchance? It may be the installer is having issues running as a different user (BOINC master) so it doesn't have access to your DrPop user accounts download folder.

Past Administrator

Mumps, thanks for that suggestion, I'll give it a shot when I get to the office tomorrow. I turned it off since it wasn't doing any good just sitting there, so I can't remote in to try it!

Past Administrator

Alright, Cheetah is back in the running! Thanks for the idea about permissions. It still wouldn't install, no matter where I moved the file, or if I ran as Admin, but I got the thought to download an older version, like 7.6.3, and ran the installer. Sure enough, it came up with a repair option, and then took a full 2 mins (on a fast rig with SSD) to perform "Setting permissions for BOINC folder". So something was off there, and whatever the old installer did, fixed it.
    Then, I was able to install the new 7.8.3 version right on top of it and works like a champ.