Thread: Running a program under Linux question?

Past Administrator

Running a program under Linux question?

I'm considering revisiting the Windows / Linux thing a bit with the recent forced updates on Win 10. I suppose it could be argued either way that it's a good thing they're doing, but that remains to be seen, of course.

I have a small IR scanning program at my office that I use on patients to do analysis, and that little program is of course written for Windows. The scanner is USB, so there is a driver that has to be installed as well.
    Is there any way to know without going to crazy amounts of work if I could get that to run under an emulator in Linux or the WINE program or anything like that? The other issue is all of Kim's Adobe programs at home - Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. I've often wondered if there is an agreement in place between Adobe and Microsoft that they won't make versions of their software for Linux, or what is going on there. Maybe there is no market for it, or so they think - but I'd be willing to bet Adobe software on Windows is what has stopped a considerable amount of people from switching to Linux.

Silver Member

Re: Running a program under Linux question?

Your best bet is to open up a Linux virtual machine, install WINE, and try the software. With that being said Linux tends to hate me, and I tend to hate WINE!

Silver Member

I don't know much about VM's but if running a linux host and a Windows client would that not work? ie crunch on linux and do the windows stuff in the VM

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I don't know much about VM's but if running a linux host and a Windows client would that not work? ie crunch on linux and do the windows stuff in the VM
    Even better idea!

Platinum Member