Thread: can't get GPU tasks

Diamond Member

can't get GPU tasks

Okay, this is a weird one. In the past day or so, I can't get GPU tasks from any GPU projects, on any of my machines. No changes in project settings. I look at the machine logs, and they ask for GPU work, and get 0 tasks. No details in the log. This is on all GPU projects that I can think of trying. I tried restarting BOINC, and looking at the startup logs, and they all show the GPUs. Any ideas?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: can't get GPU tasks

If it is all machines then nothing makes sense. If you are running BoincTasks make sure it didn't glitch and turned off GPU usage accidentally.

Diamond Member

There is a single machine that is able to get GPU tasks, and even then, only from a single project. All the clients are asking for GPU work, but get zero tasks in return. No comments about why in the messages. It's as if there is a BOINC-wide black list on my machines, but only for GPU tasks.

I wonder if there is a single project out there that is marking the client as "bad" to other projects or something?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    There is a single machine that is able to get GPU tasks, and even then, only from a single project. All the clients are asking for GPU work, but get zero tasks in return. No comments about why in the messages. It's as if there is a BOINC-wide black list on my machines, but only for GPU tasks.

I wonder if there is a single project out there that is marking the client as "bad" to other projects or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    If it is all machines then nothing makes sense. If you are running BoincTasks make sure it didn't glitch and turned off GPU usage accidentally.
    The only Idea that comes to my mind is check this flag in the cc_config file....

<no_gpus>0</no_gpus>

Should be zero. If it is set to 1 it will block/refuse all GPU's.....

also look here....

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum...?id=6523#37639

Diamond Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured it out. I forgot I recently added this to the cc_config.xml for the goofy CPU project:

Code:
    <no_alt_platform>1</no_alt_platform>
    For whatever reason, it was causing the problem with the GPU tasks. I have removed it, and all my machines are getting GPU tasks now.

Administrator

I'm glad you found it Z. Interesting though because MW and Collatz both show 64 bit support for the GPU apps.

Diamond Member

Yeah, not clear on why the behavior. Knowing BOINC, I suspect a bug.

Administrator

Knowing BOINC, I suspect a bug.
    Oh no, that couldn't possibly be it

I'm really glad you found the cause though!

EDIT: the no_alt_plafrom isn't needed on Goofy CPU any longer. The admin set up the server so it no longer issues 32 bit apps to 64 bit machines.

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured it out. I forgot I recently added this to the cc_config.xml for the goofy CPU project:

Code:
    <no_alt_platform>1</no_alt_platform>
    For whatever reason, it was causing the problem with the GPU tasks. I have removed it, and all my machines are getting GPU tasks now.
    Good Deal! I'm glad you resolved it.

Still would be interesting to know why it effected only your machines. But anyway, I'm sure it's a relief to know it wasn't something major..... Was going to make the suggestion to go back and look at the last change made but didn't cause it worked fine on my machinery so I didn't suspect it to be the problem....