Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antec Kuhler

Silver Member

Antec Kuhler

I've had an antec kuhler, I think 620 or 650 on two different ivy bridge machines. It's the single 120mm fan/radiator.

My story begins over a year ago when I installed it on a 3770k. I went ahead and used the pre-applied thermal interface. While installing, a few drops of liquid came out of the head, I believe I posted about this.

I let it sit with pump/fan running case face down over newspaper for a while to check for more leaks, I found none. I continued the install. It worked but the temps ramped quickly and it was working harder/louder than I liked. 3-4 core usage would put me into the mid 70s C.

I swapped it out for an h100 that had been running my 3570k nice and cool. Besides weird fan mounting it's great, 3770k with h100 runs relatively cool with 7 threads, 65c.

So the 3570k sat idle for a while (months) and I decided to see how the kuhler would do on it. This time, obviously, I applied my "less is best" amount of thermal interface. The original amount of TIM was ridiculous, gray cake. Also this time I added another fan in series, it is now "push" with auxillary "pull."

Fired it up, got bios errors, CPU fan error, "I've had this before," swap CPU pump from CPU fan to CPU OPT and the fan to CPU. Problem solved, boot. Spool up 1 core, 48c cool air coming out of radiator, 2 cores 54c cool air, 3 cores 66c cool air. Either these things suck or...

1. Bad TIM (doubtful)/burn in
    2. Air bubbles in loop (possible audible evidence on startup) remember initial leak.
    3. These kuhlers suck

I believe FourOh had a bad experience with a kuhler. I'm all ears.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Silver Member

Re: Antec Kuhler

I just dropped 24 bucks on what seems to be a very well reviewed cheap as hell air cooler that will probably put this Antec Kuhler to shame. It's struggling to keep 2 cores (~40w) under 70c and fans are about 72%.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3802-_-Product

http://www.trustedreviews.com/guide/best-cpu-coolers

https://www.amazon.com/Raijintek-0R1...ews/B00QMZIUFY

Platinum Member

Nice i like the look of it

Past Administrator

It looks a lot like the old Cooler Master Hyper 212. It even sells at the same price point.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    It looks a lot like the old Cooler Master Hyper 212. It even sells at the same price point.
    DON'T BUY ONE! I just got mine, and it had no fan in the box. 2 baggies of mounting hardware and the metal heatsink itself. The heatsink had a bare metal bottom, the aluminum and copper heatpipes exposed, usualler theres a protector or sticker there. But yeah, anyways no fan in the box. 2ndly I made the mistake of ordering through Superbiiz, they want to go after UPS for this. The guy told me they weighed it and UPS weighed it and if there's no fan inside it must be UPS' fault <eyeroll>. I didn't want to argue that BS with him, this happened at the manufacturer. He asked me if I wanted a refund or replacement, I asked for a refund. That'll take 3 days he says. Half of which was the shipping so I doubt I'll even get half of it back. I'm off to newegg or amazon for a Hyper 212

Silver Member

Well color me surprised, SuperBiiz refunded my money already and didn't ask for it back. So basically I'm up a whole HSF assembly minus the fan and its mounting spring. I'm going to turn this into a win and rubberband two random 120mm's to it. I bet it's better than the Antek Kuhler that's on there now. I'll update tomorrow, if it sucks I'll order a Hyper 212.

Silver Member

Diamond Member

There is a comment under that item that I found interesting:

Anyone else besides me putting off their build indefinitely until at least GPU OR RAM prices drop?

Pretty frustrating. I've never bought an off the shelf PC, been building them since I was 13, now I'm turning 39 and dealing w/ this crap.

Really curious as to how all the proxy industries in the custom PC market are being affected by the high GPU/RAM prices.
    That's a good question. I wonder how all the other suppliers for the home-build industry are doing because of the GPU situation? Are build volumes down significantly?

Personally, I just aborted a build because of it. Bought a used machine instead.
    Last edited by zombie67; 03-23-18 at 07:34 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I just purchased that case for my last build, which I only ordered 8gb of ram for because of the price, ended up looking for a case because the hyper 212 turbo I bought stuck out of my case about 1.5 inches, the extra 212 was a bonus I'm going to try and fix on one of my failing z400 cpus.
    Last edited by purplecfh; 03-23-18 at 07:45 PM.

Silver Member

That's a great deal, assuming the case isn't cardboard.

So I got my refund from SuperBiiz already, kind of surprised. What's more is they never asked for it back and basically I have the crappy cooler bent fins and all (every review I read had the same bent fins) just no fan came with it. As I write this I can see three unused 120mm fans. I'll let you know how it's working a week from now, going to Las Vegas tomorrow for six days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast