So i built my parents a budget computer a few years back. It's an fx-6350 with win 10 on an SSD and a storage HDD. We went on vacation for a week, the computer was off. I get a text with a picture of their screen and it reads "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" So I do the basic troubleshooting and info gathering over the phone. There are no USB drives or DVDs or any other media plugged in. It's sat "on" on that screen for a couple hours now so I ruled out a CMOS battery charge. What concerns me, as I search for causes and solutions before I head over there, I find everything revolved around recent changes to the computer. This computer has been running for a few years, crunches on a couple cores and 750ti when not in use, never had any issues and no recent changes other than they recently moved to a new home and I setup the computer for them about a month ago and it was fine.

My plan is to open it up, dust it, reseat ram, reseat SSD/HDD data/power cables, fiddle with boot order. I'm also thinking of taking another box over there to swap the drive into and see if it boots on that machine, I know windows will throw a fit but if it gets passed the boot device problem I know it's not the drive itself. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome, I just thought I'd start this thread in hope that by the time I get over there one of you geniuses might have replied with something that sends me on a path of success.

Replacing the SSD isn't the issue but I think they have tons of family photos and such they don't want to lose. Hopefully they're on the non-boot HDD if that's the case, but I doubt that, they're probably in some default Windows directory on the boot disk.