Thread: Cruncher down, disk issues

Silver Member

Cruncher down, disk issues

So i built my parents a budget computer a few years back. It's an fx-6350 with win 10 on an SSD and a storage HDD. We went on vacation for a week, the computer was off. I get a text with a picture of their screen and it reads "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" So I do the basic troubleshooting and info gathering over the phone. There are no USB drives or DVDs or any other media plugged in. It's sat "on" on that screen for a couple hours now so I ruled out a CMOS battery charge. What concerns me, as I search for causes and solutions before I head over there, I find everything revolved around recent changes to the computer. This computer has been running for a few years, crunches on a couple cores and 750ti when not in use, never had any issues and no recent changes other than they recently moved to a new home and I setup the computer for them about a month ago and it was fine.

My plan is to open it up, dust it, reseat ram, reseat SSD/HDD data/power cables, fiddle with boot order. I'm also thinking of taking another box over there to swap the drive into and see if it boots on that machine, I know windows will throw a fit but if it gets passed the boot device problem I know it's not the drive itself. Any ideas and suggestions are welcome, I just thought I'd start this thread in hope that by the time I get over there one of you geniuses might have replied with something that sends me on a path of success.

Replacing the SSD isn't the issue but I think they have tons of family photos and such they don't want to lose. Hopefully they're on the non-boot HDD if that's the case, but I doubt that, they're probably in some default Windows directory on the boot disk.

Administrator

Re: Cruncher down, disk issues

A Windows 10 update clobbered my Intel X3360.

Could a Win 10 update have taken down your AMD CPU?

Windows 10 updates bricking AMD PCs

Diamond Member

No back-ups?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Doubtful they backed stuff up. I'm confident I troubleshot it down to the drive itself. We ordered a Samsung Evo and he bought the "recovery" service for it.

I pulled up the Newegg order history and looks like I bought it Aug 2015, little over 2.5 years ago, keep that in mind and read these reviews.

Capture2.JPG

Silver Member

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Shurtz View Post
    A Windows 10 update clobbered my Intel X3360.

Could a Win 10 update have taken down your AMD CPU?

Windows 10 updates bricking AMD PCs
    AFAIK CPU is fine, i wish I brought a bootable thumb drive with me, though. We'll find out monday when the new SSD arrives. and TBH my dad would probably rather spend more on the CPU and not worry about the possibly lost data.

We looked at some recovery services, waiting on some quotes.

In the bios it was reporting as Sandforce{200026BB}, I tried all six SATA3 slots and it would propogate in the bios to the corresponding plug.

Silver Member

The plus side to all this, is this will give me a chance to clean it out and tune it up for the upcoming Pentathlon.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    The plus side to all this, is this will give me a chance to clean it out and tune it up for the upcoming Pentathlon.
    There is always a silver lining if you look hard enough