Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOINC Pentathlon 2018

BOINC Pentathlon 2018

It's that time again, the BOINC Pentathlon is just a few weeks away. For the ninth time, SETI.Germany invites the passionate crunchers from all over the world to compete in this team competition from 05 May to 19 May in five disciplines at five projects.

The teams may sign up and vote for their favorite projects from a pre-selection using this registration form until 27 April. Late registration until 02 May is possible, but without the opportunity to vote for projects.

For more information about the BOINC Pentathlon, please visit the Pentathlon pages, where you can also find the full rules and the answers to frequently asked questions.

It will be exciting again at the BOINC Pentathlon!
    SETI@Home Wow Event https://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/anmeldung.php?lang=de
    Greeting to all: Terminator

Platinum Member

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2018

This thread will serve as our public discussion of the Pentathlon. As of now, we are registered. The first project will be announced April 29th at 8PM EST/5PM PST. See you there!

Crunch on

Platinum Member

Alright. We've spent the last couple weeks planning and plotting, testing and researching, tweaking and hunting dust bunnies. The first project will be announced tonight. It's almost time!

Platinum Member

Attachment 2912
    BOINC Pentathlon 2018: 1st project in the Marathon discipline

Announcement of the 1st project of the BOINC Pentathlon in the Marathon discipline

The project for the Marathon of the 9th BOINC Pentathlon is:
    NumberFields@Home (https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/)

All credits granted between 04 May 2018, 8PM EST/5PM PST and 18 May 2018, 8PM EST/5PM PST will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. The statistics for this project can be found at https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pe...?challengeid=1.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 04-29-18 at 09:18 PM.

Platinum Member

**Please forgive my attempt at translating this to English. I hope it's not too bad :/ If so, blame Google or something

It's not so easy to find a beginning every year for the Daily Bulletin on the BOINC Pentathlon. One of the first exercises is to search for the meaning of the number that defines this pentathlon. This year, ladies and gentlemen, it's nine. For the ninth time, the ultimate competition takes place in the Boinc world.

The number 9 is the smallest odd composite number and the smallest odd composite number which is not a Fermat pseudo prime number. Alright? Well, if that's too mathematical, take a look at the natural sciences. Yes, there were 9 planets and maybe there will be 10 next year; all a question of definition. In China, the 9 is assigned to the dragon. Is this perhaps an indication of what we are facing this year? But the dragon will not have it easy, because the 9-headed hydra from Greek mythology might have something against it.

As always, the challenge is the same for all teams.
    The teams expect 5 disciplines: marathon, swimming, sprint, cross-country and the city run. As the marathon progresses across the distance, the teams in the other disciplines have to face tough matches for 3-7 days. New this year: the announcement period for some disciplines has been shortened. This means having to act even faster for the teams, but also more tactical opportunities for the brave. You will have to look for who wrongly distributes his resources. If you do it right, you can make legendary triumphs.

After a clear victory last year, SETI.USA faces the challenge of defending the title. The expectation is certainly not only high among the Americans. Only Planet3DNow and SETI.Germany will do anything to steal the beef from the burger. The big unknown is the power of Team China. Can the Chinese play a role in the fight for total gold? Do you already have the strength for the victory? And which other team can cause a stir in the overall ranking this year? L'Alliance Francophone, the Czech National Team, Overclock.net, BOINC@Poland or ????

The past year has already shown the trend. It's getting more and more exciting in the disciplines. More and more teams have realistic chances on precious metal. It is therefore not very brave of me to say, "Here is the mail, go out." The days are over of SUSA, SG or P3D determining everything with the medals distributed among themselves. By clever tactics, surprises are always possible, no, even guaranteed. Overclock.net's individual victory in cross country last year and Team China's silver medal in the sprint are warning examples.

Rarely has the situation been as unclear as this year. Increased crunching costs have been added to many teams. Some were just about to hoist the white flag and capitulate. Also, for organizers, it will not be as easy to find suitable projects, but real crunchers do not give up that easily. It's time to dust off the hardware, secure the sockets, stock up a large supply of caffeine and best to send the woman to the salon or the man in the pub.

The heroic battle for credits in the service of science awakens weary spirits. Anyone whose fingers do not tingle in the face of the challenge is already dead. Do you want to feel life? Let's go.
    Until then, one thing is certain:
    It's going to be exciting at the Boinc Pentathlon.

-Jeeper

Edit: Source: https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/th...richt-zur-Lage
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 05-01-18 at 04:04 AM.

.....and best to send the woman to the salon, or the man in the pub.
    The man in the pub? I don't think I could let it get that far.... (that would mean that the pentathlon is better than sex with your woman)

Close, but no cigar......

Silver Member

Planet3DNow and SETI.Germany will do anything to steal the beef from the burger.
    Is this a maxim I haven't heard before? Maybe it's a German thing?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Is this a maxim I haven't heard before? Maybe it's a German thing?
    Maybe, but i do love a good burger so i find it difficult to take offense.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Maybe, but i do love a good burger so i find it difficult to take offense.
    And the funny thing is, our favorite sandwich was named after one of their cities

Vic (mobile)

Platinum Member

I've never been to PB&J, Germany though...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast